Tallz CJ5 Buildup

Tallz

Ok, some of you have seen my Jeep allready in threads I have posted thus far. Now I want to start a buildup thread with what I have done and show work as I go. I have seen some other build-ups here and hope I can do them justice with mine.

My goals are to build a good crawler (off road only) on a limited budget. I want to be able to do most of the work myself and buy used where and when I can. Ive seen plenty of capable trail rigs built with used parts and not much costs incured by work being done outside of their garage. I think my skill are good enough to build it and where I lack the knowledge I hope all you can help.

First a little background on the Jeep. It came with 35 inch tires and full width axles out of a Suburban which, at the time was attractive to me. It had some rust spots, but not a concern as I wanted a sort of beeter project I didnt have to worry about on the trails. the interior was shot and most of the wiring was in need of replacing. The motor was the selling point. An AMC 304 that had obviously been gone through recently. It started and ran smooth, shifted into gear and did drive. I knew I had a good platform for a crawler project. After some weeling and deeling, I got the Jeep for a little over half the original asking price.

I bought the jeep thinking that the full width axles and extended wheelbase (just over 90 inches) was a good start. I soon found out that the 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear were packed with 3.25 gears. Not much for crawl ratio. After posting some threads I realized that the cost of putting new gears would be quite a bit greater than what I was willing to spend. I figured the money could go for better things. After some great suggestions, I was on the lookout for better suited and lower geared axles. I soon found a set of axles out of a 76 GMC 3/4 ton. I got the 14 bolt and Dana 44 with 4.11's for cheap. With that I also bought the SM465 and np205. That tranny and tcase set up seemed quite a bit longer than my stock set up and it soon seemed that it would not work due to its length. I figured I could still use the sm465 and buy the adapters later when and if I can afford them ($1000+/-).

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0135.jpg
    IMG_0135.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0137.jpg
    IMG_0137.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 28

Tallz

Last Saturday I spent all day working on the Jeep. I first started disassembling the dash and removing the old, burned and partly missing wiring. I recently ordered a Painless wiring harness for the Jeep and will be ready to put it in once the rest of the interior restoration is complete. I first needed to remove the cheesy patch panels around the back of the tub. I was able to cut them out and noticed the cancer was worse than I thought. the entire back crease along the tailgate (if it had one) was almost all rotted away, about a 4 inch gap. Luckily the section that is mounted to the body mount is still intact and not rotted. I was planning on cutting out the rear fender wells in order to mount seats further back than the original position. On account of me being 6'6" tall and not much room in there with the seats resting on the wheel wells. So I proceeded to cut out the entire rear tub. I am planning a full cage back there with a fuel cell and room for my seats mounted further back. Later I will tie the fenders back into the cage, but for now they are out. Next weekend the rest of the fender tabs will come out and the floor boards, which I have allready received patch panels from Quadratec. I wil post pictures of the new work tomorrow.

cheepin

Make friends with a local sheetmetal shop.Lots cheaper for patch panels.I run a sheetmetal shop and we throw away scrap everyday.Keep up with the pics also.

Tallz

The rear tub removed, mostly. I will get to the tabs where the parts that were cut out attach to the body so it looks cleaner and not so jagged.

Attachments

• IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 12

Tallz

Here are the axles I salvaged recently. They are rusty, but should clean up nicely. A good wire brushing, good coat of POR and top coat and they will be a welcome addition to the rig.

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 20

cheepin

I hear on the snow!!Got about 4-3" here today!My Jeep is sitting in a shop at work,but I just didn't want to drive for a hr in this weather to work on it.

Tallz

Over winter I did get some things done. Like the passenger floor rust was cut out and the new steel got patched in. The rest of the dash area has been stripped. I needed to remove more than I thought to get the drivers floor rust cut out and get it ready for its patch. The only thing that remains now is the column.

I also trimmed the rest of the fenders out to get rid of the jagged edges. After looking at it the last month, I am debating on wether or not to cut off the back tub just behing the door cut outs. There is a lot of rust damage there and doesnt seem like its doing much good there. I am also considering doing a dove tail to retain that jeep look. Hmmm...mostly jeep or mostly buggie? Something I will have to decide in the future.

Got a little more work done today. Mostly on the dash. I worked on cutting out the areas that used to house the dials and knobs and will patch it all in. I will add my new toggles and push button start in after the patch is done. The stock gauges will remain and so will the glove box. I also cut out the patch to fill the old gas tank fill tube location. So many holes, so little steel.

Pictures to follow soon.

Tallz

Its been a good week! My boss just reinstated the bonus program and my fall bonus just came through. Back to the project.

Today I bought the NP435 with AA Adapter to a Dana 300 from BarneyCJ. It should be a welcome replacement for the T150/Dana 20 and jump me up into the high 90's crawl ratio.

I also recently acquired four Hummer H1 wheels and 37 inch tires for a good price.

I am also researching/buying parts for my axles. The 14 bolt will get a disc brake swap, full spool, diff covder and soon new spring plates. I am also working on shaving the bottom of the housing. The Dana 44 will probably just get welded gears as I hope to swap in a Dana 60 later on. It will also get a freshened up set of brakes, new Warn hubs and if I have enough money, crossover steering.

When those are done and mounted, then the cage, seats, fuel cell and the wiring, etc.

cheepin

That trans/t-case combo will give you a nice low crawl.Is the 14bolt a open carrier?If so weld up the gears.Don't bother spending $$ on a spool.Do a search on pirates for the process.Basicly,pull carrier/split diff, then lay gears in one half and tack them together.Flip the gear over and put back in dif half.Tack again.now remove and start welding them up into a nice ball of steel.I usually had pices of scrap steel to fill the voids in so it don't take as much wire.You now have what is called The Orb Of Traction.
Here's my latest one for my CJ project.
jeepster012.jpg

Tallz

That trans/t-case combo will give you a nice low crawl.Is the 14bolt a open carrier?If so weld up the gears.Don't bother spending $$ on a spool.Do a search on pirates for the process.Basicly,pull carrier/split diff, then lay gears in one half and tack them together.Flip the gear over and put back in dif half.Tack again.now remove and start welding them up into a nice ball of steel.I usually had pices of scrap steel to fill the voids in so it don't take as much wire.You now have what is called The Orb Of Traction.
Here's my latest one for my CJ project.
jeepster012.jpg

Hmmm...very interesting. Will my little 110 welder be able to do a good job? I think this could be the way to go. Thanks

Tallz

Thanks cheepin, I checked out your rig last night and it looks like we are on a similar page...build a capable crawler on a budget.

I bought a couple of spacers for my h1 wheels yesterday and I was talking to the guy about where the crawling scene is now and where it was ten years ago. Nowadays you can find almost everything you need for your build used or salvaged. Ten years ago you couldnt. Nothing was available, only new. Now its much easier to build budget wise and not spend 20 grand on a rig.

Good luck with yours and I will keep checking in to see how you are doing.

I will also try to weld my rear end as you did. I found the article on Pirate and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Tallz

Photos

Attachments

• IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0277.jpg
    IMG_0277.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 17

Tallz

New work done on the CJ.

Rear Axle is almost done. I welded the rear spider into the "Orb of Traction", thanks Cheepin for the suggestion. I also installed the disc brake conversion and a new diff cover from Ruff Stuff Enterprises. I just need to mount the calipers, and the spring perches and its in the Jeep. Next up.. the front D44.

I also bought a set of barely used 37" Super Swamper IROK's for the H1 Wheels and got those mounted. What a pain in the ass that was. It took me about 3.5 hours of wrenching to get them torn down, remove the old tires and install the new ones. My hands and forearms were a wreck yesterday. I was also able to find 2 inch spacers for the wheels so I wont need to get them recentered.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Magnesium Run Flats that are stock on the H1 wheels? I left them in, but are they worth it?

Tallz

New rear axle is in, but still needs paint and final placement for driveline. I think I am going to the double cardan driveline, so I angled the yoke up high for now. Once I get the tranny/tc and driveline in, I will weld the spring perches where they need to be.

That 14 bolt sure looks bigger under the jeep then it did when it was just sitting around being worked on.

Next up is the front axle.

Attachments

• IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 23