Teach me about Toyota rear axles.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Here's the deal. I currently have a narrow 2wd (5x4.5 pattern) toyota rear axle in the back of my XJ (has 2" adapters on each side to match the width). It has an v6 (I think) third member w/ a factory electric locker in it as well.

Von & Carl, you guys know more about what's there than I do.

What I want to do: I want a wider housing w/ the 6x5.5 lug pattern to match a D44 front from a waggy that I plan on swapping in.

My question: What housings are available to do this? I really don't know much about toyota axles. I want to re-use the 3rd member w/ the electric locker. I want a wider housing that will come closer to 61" WMS. Are tacoma housings wider? What modifications will I need to do to the housing to accept the locking 3rd member?

:)

notajeep

Just me
The taco housings are wider, and the same as all the 86 and up toy 8" rears. However, after 89 they were made out of a thinner gage steel. All the 8" housings will accept your third, some modifications will be required to fit your e locker though, if you use a non e locker housing. But even that's not a big deal, people do it all the time.
Dan

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
The taco housings are wider, and the same as all the 86 and up toy 8" rears. However, after 89 they were made out of a thinner gage steel. All the 8" housings will accept your third, some modifications will be required to fit your e locker though, if you use a non e locker housing. But even that's not a big deal, people do it all the time.
Dan

What are the overall widths on them? I really don't like running adapters to get the desired width, but I'd be happier to run smaller adapters than those huge 2" chunks of aluminum I currently have.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
stock 4x4 79-85 wms is 55 I think 86-95 is 58- tacos are a little wider, but not sure if they will take your 3rd. Maybe get a front range offroad housing or diamond axle or whatever that can be custom made wider, and use longer t100 or tundra shafts:confused:

notajeep

Just me
I am reasonable sure that the pre 86 axles are 57" wide and I know that the post 85 are 3 inches wider at 60".
Dan

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Maybe get a front range offroad housing or diamond axle or whatever that can be custom made wider, and use longer t100 or tundra shafts:confused:

That's actually a great idea... Might be too spendy for me though. Hmmm.

Edit: just looked into it. I don't think I'd ever spend that much on a toy axle.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
ok... I was wrong. Here are the real specs.
Taco rear is 60"
86-95 rear is 58.5"
79-84 rear is 55"
Dan

And a Taco rear won't accept my current 3rd member? :(

How expensive are tacoma rears with electric lockers in the junk yard? About as much as a ford D60? :rofl:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
If you get a Tacoma axle housing that came stock with a e-locker, your 3rd member (Toy 8") will fit. The Tacoma axles w/o e-lockers use a different 3rd member (The 8.4") & have a different sized mounting pattern. All Tacoma housings are 60" wide, WMS-WMS. Of course the 4WD Tacos have a 6 lug pattern, while the 2WD ones are 5x4.5.

With all the loose e-locker 3rd members out there it should be pretty easy to find the housing your asking for. I picked up a Tacoma rear axle with an e-locker on here for something like $450. That was a deal, IMO.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
If you get a Tacoma axle housing that came with a e-locker, your 3rd member will fit. The Tacoma axles w/o e-lockers use a different 3rd member & have a different sized mounting pattern. All Tacoma housings are 60" wide, WMS-WMS. Of course the 4WD Tacos have a 6 lug pattern, while the 2WD ones are 5x4.5.

With all the loose e-locker 3rd members out there it should be pretty easy to find the housing your asking for.

EXCELLENT. :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
And a Taco rear won't accept my current 3rd member? :(

How expensive are tacoma rears with electric lockers in the junk yard? About as much as a ford D60? :rofl:

Your 3rd member will fit into a housing that had a e-locker in it. You are essentially swapping the parts back to stock. The older Toyota housings didn't come with e-lockers, they were swapped in.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Just to reiterate what's already been covered, cuz I'm bored and want to type:

Tacoma axles have the width you want, but will not accept your e-locker unless it was a factory e-locker housing. The standard non-locker is not an 8" third member.

86-95 axles are very common, around 58" wide, and can be modified to fit your locker. (the same way the current housing was modded)

'85 and older will be about the same width as you currently have, so skip them. (otherwise good, just narrow)

6 lug wheel spacers are cheap and easy from Marlin or Trail Gear in various sizes if the 58" width isn't quite enough.

94redtoy

short bus
you can modify any housing to accept the e-locker. i did it twice. 85 front 94 rear.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/
heres all the info for your axle widths, 3rds
"Toyota Rear Axle Widths:
55" wide, '79-85 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
58" wide, '86-95 4wd trucks/4runners - 6 Lug
56" wide, '79-95 2wd Trucks - 5 Lug
60.75" wide, '95.5-up Tacomas/4runners
66.75" wide, '93-98 T100 trucks"
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459180
what i want to know is how you got the elocker with a 2wd housing???
also, the tacoma rears match the waggy fronts pretty well

Last edited: