Teach me about Toyota rear axles.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You can definitely NOT modify any housing, only 8" models. Some 2WD's come with an 8" third, so they can be modified the same as a 4WD model. (same third member and spline count on the shafts)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You can definitely NOT modify any housing, only 8" models. Some 2WD's come with an 8" third, so they can be modified the same as a 4WD model. (same third member and spline count on the shafts)

I guess the word "modify" is all relative to some ;)

I suppose one could cut the diff mounting surface off an an 8" and reattach it to the 8.4" with amazing precision... Post some pictures when you try it :D

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
what i want to know is how you got the elocker with a 2wd housing???

It's a setup put together by Von (and Carl??) The elocker I imagine is from a 4wd tacoma and put into a pre 85 (narrow) 2wd rear axle. Fits nicely into the back of the cherokee with some spacer adapters and has a 5x4.5 pattern to match the stock front.

I'm a fan of waggy axles and I plan on putting a front d44 in. So to match, I need a 6 lug rear. I figure instead of converting the existing axle to 6x5.5, why not kill 2 birds with one stone and find a wider housing that is already 6 lug. :)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
It's a setup put together by Von (and Carl??) The elocker I imagine is from a 4wd tacoma and put into a pre 85 (narrow) 2wd rear axle. Fits nicely into the back of the cherokee with some spacer adapters and has a 5x4.5 pattern to match the stock front.

I'm a fan of waggy axles and I plan on putting a front d44 in. So to match, I need a 6 lug rear. I figure instead of converting the existing axle to 6x5.5, why not kill 2 birds with one stone and find a wider housing that is already 6 lug. :)

Yup, I modified the housing for the E-locker, Von did the rest of the assembly and installation in the XJ. :)