Terafflex Axle Breaks

Bob B

Here's the story. It was a 35 spline 60 shaft. Same as what comes in every TERA CRD60 axle. It is semi float, uses the big bearing cup and set 20 bearing. It didn't have any 44 parts except the brake calipers and backing plates. The back story is this, Tera was trying out different shaft hardening. We only put them into a few select customer and employee rigs. As it turned out, the hardening didn't go deep enough into the shaft. The shafts were soft and would twist and break right @ the flange or bearing. We had this happen with about 4 different rigs, until we got the hardening correct. Then all the test shaft were suppose to be replaced and destroyed. He didn't come in to get them changed. Thus this happening. They were test shafts that were suppose to be replaced. There you go, the real story.

Weight + horsepower + prototype shafts = video.

AND for the record.. That thing is WICKED heavy. 6000lbs easy if not more. One similar w/ smaller tires, stock t-case vs atlas and less stuff inside was weighed @ 5800.

Last edited:

fire4j15

Here's the story. It was a 35 spline 60 shaft. Same as what comes in every TERA CRD60 axle. It is semi float, uses the big bearing cup and set 20 bearing. It didn't have any 44 parts except the brake calipers and backing plates. The back story is this, Tera was trying out different shaft hardening. We only put them into a few select customer and employee rigs. As it turned out, the hardening didn't go deep enough into the shaft. The shafts were soft and would twist and break right @ the flange or bearing. We had this happen with about 4 different rigs, until we got the hardening correct. Then all the test shaft were suppose to be replaced and destroyed. He didn't come in to get them changed. Thus this happening. They were test shafts that were suppose to be replaced. There you go, the real story.

Weight + horsepower + prototype shafts = video.

AND for the record.. That thing is WICKED heavy. 6000lbs easy if not more. One similar

w/ smaller tires, stock t-case vs atlas and less stuff inside was weighed @ 5800.

Excellent. Finally get a good answer. Case closed.

Bob B

Fire4j15....Understand that ANY axle can break. But these where specific to this run/project tera was testing. We know what they went into, and it wasn't into any customers. Your good.

fire4j15

Fire4j15....Understand that ANY axle can break. But these where specific to this run/project tera was testing. We know what they went into, and it wasn't into any customers. Your good.

Thanks Bob. Everything on my Jeep is Teraflex and just wanted to know What happened and why. Now I understand.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Even if it wasnt a prototype axle I still don't get what the big deal is? Parts break, even the best. Theres a fine line between rock crawling and destroying jeeps, it's just part of the game, I've broken 5 longfield SUPERBIRFS, but I still think they make the best birfs. Tera flex makes the best stuff for jeeps, and I could watch a non prototype axle do the same thing and still think that. Any Parts will fail, every time, all you can do is post pone the damage with bigger and better parts