TeraFlex long arm upgrade for XJ's

Rickomatic

Grey is cool!
Greg said:
I got my parts thru TeraFlex Plus. They were great to work with, got the parts to me quickly and have easy to follow instructions. The parts are well built and very abuser friendly.

(I understand that TeraFlex can also make control arms to custom lenghts, for that 4 link project. It seems like a good alternative to piecing together all the parts.)

I'd rate the TeraFlex XJ Long Arm installation a 7 out of 10, with 10 being the most difficult. It requires a few power tools and a good amount of mechanical knowledge. It took me just over a day to complete the install, I spent all day saturday working on it, then a couple hours on sunday finishing it up.

Very good information Greg. I have questioned if long arms was a needed upgrade, but since I seem to be getting inchites, I guess it will need to happen. Thanks for the link to a local supplier.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Rickomatic said:
Very good information Greg. I have questioned if long arms was a needed upgrade, but since I seem to be getting inchites, I guess it will need to happen. Thanks for the link to a local supplier.

Welcome! No prob, glad to help. :)

Greg

Admin
We took the XJ out to Moab today and ran Posion Spider Mesa. The Cherokee's new suspension seemed very well balanced. If you were on a off-camber hill the lean wasn't bad, but once you got it crossed up, it flexed out really well. The suspension makes the ride much more comfortable than the stock short-arm configuration.

My wife drove most of the time and her impressions were as follows. She said there were times where she's approach a rough, rocky spot and, being used to the old suspension would brace for the impact, only to have a surprisingly smooth ride.

Anywho, here's some of the pics from the day:

1000065medium3on.jpg

1000237medium8db.jpg

1000241medium9ae.jpg

1000243medium7st.jpg

1000247medium9nm.jpg

Greg

Admin
Rickomatic said:
Those brake lines were looking a little tight.

It looks that way, but there's a spring pulling the line up, towards the hardline. There's still about 1.5" of slack when flexed out.

wipedawg

Those new arms look pretty beefy... i had the 2nd gen teraflex arms and I never had any complaints. i was running 6.5 inches of lift and 35's. Plenty of flex for me... any more and i'd start to need limiting straps to hold the coil in.

3e6b5565.jpg

blah.jpg

Greg

Admin
wipedawg said:
Those new arms look pretty beefy... i had the 2nd gen teraflex arms and I never had any complaints.

Yep, the new arms are very beef. Here's specs-

• Control arms are 1.75" DOM, .281 wall tubing.
  • Modular Rod Ends are 3" OD, 5" shank length.