Teraflex Long Lowers and Short Uppers

Samersen

I am thinking about purchasing the Teraflex long arm upgrade. I have been reading online that some people don't recommend just doing the long lowers, because on flexing the piñon angle gets thrown off. Is it 'best' to spring for the full kit or can it be done in stages? With just the lowers first. I am at 4 1/2 short arm with adjustable uppers, and 1 bl. Any thoughts? Any reason not to just do the upgrade?

Last edited:

Rock Taco

I have heard the same thing. If your concerned about price give Mesha or Skippy the guys over at All Jeep a call. I hear they have really good pricing on teraflex stuff.

Bart

I can only relate to my experience with them. I've done it twice, once on an XJ and once on a TJ and it made a big enough difference both times that I'd do it again. Botth road and off-road manners improved substantially.

Bob B

Im assuming your long arming a TJ. I have done the enduro kit install (long lowers, short uppers) quite a few times. They work good. There is some bind, but its not too horrible. I would definitely do some shopping around on price. Most people seemed to do it because it was cheaper, but then they added things in like adjustable short uppers. I dunno the price between the enduro kit and the pro kit, but I would say at least half the people that do the enduro kit, end up adding to that kit, (adjustable short uppers, etc) and then do the long arm upper upgrade later on. Seems like that route would the most expensive.
I have driven both kits both on and offroad. There are differences, but they are mostly offroad, so I would take a good look at what your planned usage will be.
Lets just say I went for the full pro kit when I long armed mine and have been happy with it.

Samersen

Thanks! For the good info! Yeah it's a LJ actually but i think I will do the endro kit fr now to save a bit if money espically on labor.

RockChucker

When I built my TJ several years back I did it that way. I was a poor high school kid that needed to get rid of death wobble and could only afford lower arms. I did the Tera LCG kit in stages. It worked well with the short uppers but it really shines with the full pro kit like bob said.

Samersen

When I built my TJ several years back I did it that way. I was a poor high school kid that needed to get rid of death wobble and could only afford lower arms. I did the Tera LCG kit in stages. It worked well with the short uppers but it really shines with the full pro kit like bob said.

So did that solve your wobble problems. That is what has led me to this as well.

Samersen

awesome I have a short arm lift but I believe that because its so tall the bushings wear out ever few thousand miles... It is a RE though. Thanks for everyones answers!

Last edited:

Lifelong Jeeper

I've done the gradual build process and don't recommend it. Because of the cost, you compromise great suspension for that which is just good enough.
Now, I understand this but if there is any way you can swing it, do it right the first time. After compromising, you'll find that finishing the uppers just keeps getting postponed and you'll regret it long term.

If you really can't afford it, or can't wait to save for long uppers and lowers, I recommend the following: Build the entire front suspension and then later, after saving sufficiently, build the rear all at once.

I know this is quite unconventional, but that way you fix the death wobble problem and your front suspension is done right. Also, it will keep the finishing of your suspension in higher priority.
Good luck!
Thoughts?

Samersen

I agree with you totally just a hard bill to swallow. And I have decided that I am doing all the arms at once. Just 4 Fun Motorsports in Lindon has the Jeep right now so Charlie and Curtis are going to help me on it :) So the end result will be Teraflex long arms with skid plate, with bilstine 5100 and RE 4 1/2 springs. And reason not to use my current springs? I like their height and the fact they haven't sagged at all.