Terra 4:1 in a NP242

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Ok.. so I am trying to figure out if I should get a Terra 4:1 kit for my NP242 or if I should change my transfer case to something a bit stronger... anyone have any ideas? if I should change my Tcase what should I go to..

Oh ya.. its on a 01 XJ... soon to be running 33's currently running 31's :)

DOSS

I haven't checked on the price so far.. I want to make sure I get a good setup.. IE I don't want to waste the cost for the gears if the Tcase is just going to need to be replaced anyhow

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I looked at this while I had my XJ.

My opinion: I wanted front and rear 'dig' options also. That led me to another t-case (Atlas) with gearing already built in and ultimately to another rig. YMMV

DOSS

Ouch... I still want the low creapy crawly gears though.. Going down hills I have to ride the brake more than I want and I just go too fast in general... Can't get into the power range until I am doing almost 10 MPH errg...

Bart

I loved my 242 with a Tera Low, until I started competing with it, then I needed the front dig option. As for the 242, it held up fine to some pretty brutal wheeling. I did the Hammers, Die Trying, and a bunch of stuff with mine.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Last time I checked, Teraflex didn't make a 4:1 for the NP242, just the 231. I checked their website and it's still showing that, so unless it's new.....:confused:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
TooeleCherokee said:
Ok who does make one if Terra doesn't.. (show me for listening to people in moab :) )

I had to call them to find out they made one. I called asking how hard it would be to convert the 231 model to the 242.

Bart

mbryson said:
I had to call them to find out they made one. I called asking how hard it would be to convert the 231 model to the 242.

We used the 231 kit in my 242. They are very similar, but the 242 has a larger planetary. It's definitely not new, we did mine in 1999.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
mbryson said:

Okay, now I think I know what you are meaning. I think that I asked about this a long long time ago as well. They had to machine your case or something for everything to fit properly.....?

DOSS

Ya I just talked to them... Teraflex Plus.. they can't just hook me up with the kit as they have to do a bunch of case mods to install it... 1125.00 not too bad...

DOSS

Ok how about someone school me on Dual Transfer cases.. I have an NP242.. what can I mate to it? will I loose my higher gears? Is there an adapter out there for a 242 to a ??? THanks for all of your help :)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
For the cost of the 4:1 and SYE, your only a few hundred away from an Atlas, and I would much rather have an Atlas than a 231/242. JMO I would say if you don't have the $2200 for the Atlas now, put a SYE in your 242 and run it until you do. Then sell the 242 and update to the Atlas. I'm sure a 242 with a SYE already installed won't be too difficult to offload....