Tested my riding gear this evening... *ouch*

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not a big crash and I'm not injured, but I had a pretty good wreck this afternoon and really got to test out my riding gear.

I went riding out at Rabbit Valley after being stuck in a meeting all day... I had seen NOBODY out there over 2 hours of riding. I rode the Rim Trail which is fairly technical, both ways, then some other fun single track in the area. I was getting pretty cocky on the WR450, riding fast, jumping and bringing the front tire off the ground often.

On the way out, on the rocky, gravely road, I was really cracking the throttle. Mind you, I hadn't seen anyone out there for a couple hours and felt like i had the place all to myself. I came to a sharp corner with quite a bit of brush on the inside and was getting ready to rip open the throttle and steer with the rear, if you know what I mean. Right at the middle of the corner as I was about to lay into the throttle, I saw another riding coming my way.... not that we were going to collide, but he simply caught me off guard. Surprised and in the middle of a turn, leaning... I grabbed a handful of brake and down I went, fast.

I was wearing my Fox riding boots, knee pads, SixSixOne pressure suit, Aria helmet and some light MX style gloves. I used them all... the buckles on my boots were pretty well ground down, my right knee has a raspberry on it where the knee pad took the knee hit, my right shoulder took the brunt of the impact, right on the plastic protector that's part of the pressure suit. My helmet took a light hit, not too bad, but enough to notice when my head hit the ground. Both of my hands hurt and are swollen at the pinkie knuckle. I have a few other bumps and bruises, but I'm really not any worse for wear.

My boots were really scraped up pretty good, I think my right boot went under the bike as it hit the ground and the bike skidded to a stop. Surprisingly my legs/feet don't hurt at all... I love good riding boots!

Like I said, I'm not really hurt, but I know I'll be pretty sore the next few days. Riding with all the right gear pays off in spades, if I were wearing hiking boots, no knee pads, no pressure suit and god forbid, no helmet... well, I'd probably be laying in the hospital right now. It was all my fault for riding too fast without enough sight and I panicked when I saw the oncoming rider and paid for that, by laying the bike down.

Just thought I'd share that experience, if anyone is thinking that riding without the right gear is a good choice. :D

Greg

Admin
If you died would RME continue? Just askin'

RME is much bigger than me... it's like the Borg, consuming and converting everyone that comes into contact with it. It's pretty autonomous these days... :ugh: Needless to say, if something were to happen to me, RME would continue on, without missing a beat.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
RME is much bigger than me... it's like the Borg, consuming and converting everyone that comes into contact with it. It's pretty autonomous these days... :ugh: Needless to say, if something were to happen to me, RME would continue on, without missing a beat.

:rofl:

Glad you're OK Greg.

Caleb

:cool: I just recently picked up a pressure suit, have yet to ride with it but I already feel better about having it :D For as often as I wreck, I'm surprised I haven't gotten more seriously injured than I have have. :rofl:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
ATGATT, huh? Just proved your own point on that one.

BUT:

Pics, or it didn't happen. -_-

Greg

Admin
:rofl:

Glad you're OK Greg.

Me too... I'm sore and have headache, took tomorrow off to heal up over the weekend. :rofl:

:cool: I just recently picked up a pressure suit, have yet to ride with it but I already feel better about having it :D For as often as I wreck, I'm surprised I haven't gotten more seriously injured than I have have. :rofl:

You scared me on Rose Garden... glad you picked one up, they're worth their weight in gold! Mine really seemed to absorb and spread out the impact, feels nice knowing I have that kind of protection when I'm riding more aggressive than I should.

Glad you survived :hickey:

Thanks. :p

Its nice to know that good riders crash like some of us other riders.

Glad your okay, I'm still not 100% from mine in November.

But I'm not a good rider... I just ride. :) My wrist is still jacked up from an incident years ago, which I re-injured pretty good in December. I don't think it will ever be the same. :(

Post carnage pics!

You weren't taking video at the time, were you?

No pics or video, nothing really worth sharing. The bike has a bung of scratches on the new plastics, as do the mentioned boots and the scratches on my helmet & pressure suit.

I am glad your ok. Don't get to hurt until your buggy is done;)

:cody:

ATGATT, huh? Just proved your own point on that one.

BUT:

Pics, or it didn't happen. -_-

Yep, ATGATT! That's why I'm sharing it, to convince the non-believers. For those that are not aware, ATGATT = All The Gear, All The Time.

No pics, so it must not have happened... but I sure feel like it did. :p

What is a pressure suit? Do you carry a small first aid kit? If you don't, you may want to think about it:D

Pressure suit-
11COMP_PRESSURE.jpg

Mine has an excellent spine protector as well, the bulk of material on the pressure suit is mesh so it breathes and doesn't get very hot. They're a great piece of gear to be wearing when things go bad!

I actually do carry a small first aid kit and have for a few years now. Fortunately I haven't ever had to use it. I should get a SPOT, in case things ever get real bad. :eek:

rkillpack

Converted Oil Burner
Good to hear there weren't any serious injuries. I had a similar experience near the canyonlands overlook on my B-king. Some 60 miles away from Moab and I slid through a corner into a ditch at about 35 mph, coming down from about 150mph. Did not see the corner, freaked, and the rest was history (first time on the road). Too many mistakes made to account for them all. I thanked my helmet and jacket that day.

Greg

Admin
Will you replace some of your gear due to this?

I don't think I need to, the only thing that I'd consider replacing due to impact would be my helmet. But I didn't hit it that hard... and it's not a cheap helmet.

My boots are several years old and getting quite beat up, but still have plenty of life left in them and defend my feet well.

Greg

Admin
Maybe you should be the to win the spot riding alone and everything.

Yeah, riding alone isn't the smartest thing... but I do it all the time.

Good to hear there weren't any serious injuries. I had a similar experience near the canyonlands overlook on my B-king. Some 60 miles away from Moab and I slid through a corner into a ditch at about 35 mph, coming down from about 150mph. Did not see the corner, freaked, and the rest was history (first time on the road). Too many mistakes made to account for them all. I thanked my helmet and jacket that day.

150... :eek: Mistakes happen fast on a motorcycle, proper gear goes a long way to keep a rider safe. Glad to hear you came out of that one well enough!

plaidfro

Its that D@mn speed... it will get you everytime. I had a monster crash about 16 miles south of Mesquite in the middle of nowhere... and I learned to take it much easier on the throttle since.