Tested my riding gear this evening... *ouch*

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
:eek: That's never fun--glad you're ok! Way to set an example though :D I hope everyone can understand the importance of riding gear from reading this. Riding boots, full faced helmet, goggles and chest protector are minimum imo and I cringe when people show up for a ride without it. If you're short on cash check KSL and buy it cheap. I have bought several pairs of name brand boots for well under $50 throughout the years and the price beats a doctor bill without a doubt.

Funny an old friend of mine bought a newer KTM525 last week and we went for a really fun ride Sunday. I haven't rode with him since high school and he hasn't even been on a bike since then so I was pretty excited to catch up and show him some trails. While I was putting my gear on I looked over as he sits on his bike and fires it up. He was wearing work boots, a coat and a beenie.... We sat there for awhile and he nodded as to signal me to lead the way?! :eek:

I pulled up next to him and asked "Ughhh.... forgetting something?!" Turns out he didn't even bring a freakin' HELMET! Luckily another friend had a spare :ugh:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Its that D@mn speed... it will get you everytime. I had a monster crash about 16 miles south of Mesquite in the middle of nowhere... and I learned to take it much easier on the throttle since.

Yep, riding too fast when I should have been going slower... same thing that bit me when I had my biggest wreck out at 5 Mile Pass. I should know better... :D

:):)
You can have some preset messages and then if you step up and pay for the big package you can customize your messages.

You should really think about the buddy system when you ride.

I should find a local riding buddy, but my rides are usually last minute and unplanned... like yesterday. I decided to go at 3 pm Wednesday afternoon. Not too many others that could have gone with me.

:eek: That's never fun--glad you're ok! Way to set an example though :D I hope everyone can understand the importance of riding gear from reading this. Riding boots, full faced helmet, goggles and chest protector are minimum imo and I cringe when people show up for a ride without it. If you're short on cash check KSL and buy it cheap. I have bought several pairs of name brand boots for well under $50 throughout the years and the price beats a doctor bill without a doubt.

Funny an old friend of mine bought a newer KTM525 last week and we went for a really fun ride Sunday. I haven't rode with him since high school and he hasn't even been on a bike since then so I was pretty excited to catch up and show him some trails. While I was putting my gear on I looked over as he sits on his bike and fires it up. He was wearing work boots, a coat and a beenie.... We sat there for awhile and he nodded as to signal me to lead the way?! :eek:

I pulled up next to him and asked "Ughhh.... forgetting something?!" Turns out he didn't even bring a freakin' HELMET! Luckily another friend had a spare :ugh:

If there's anything I can be, it's a good example of what not to do.... and testing out safety gear makes for a great example!

When I was younger I received a great lesson about why riding boots are good... wearing hiking boots, riding my '81 YZ250... my front tire kicked up a rock and my toes took the hit. I swear I broke a few toes, it was so painful. I went out looking for riding boots right after that happened.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
ya I need better riding gear.

I endo'd my bike coming down a rocky loose shale hill out at 5mile pass about a month ago. Cartwheeled myself into a tree. I had gear on but my knees and forearms were pretty banged up. I'm sure I would have been completely fine if I had better gear.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Honestly I value all of my crashes, rather they are sliders or tumblers :D I have learned alot over all the years of racing and riding.

I had a grasshopper take me off my bike once in a race, I watched it happen in slow motion. Powering WFO down a powerline road, about 150 feet out a nice big grasshopper jumped up and went to fly, it came directly into that small area between my nose and goggles like a bullet and exploded. The next few seconds were chaos, between being blind from bug on my googles and the instant eye watering I got I could not see a thing, I tried a panic stop but it was to late, the front rutted out and I was doomed. I high sided and took a hell of a tumble. My right hip has never been the same.

Its good to get stung every once in a while, keeps you grounded. Glad your ok Greg, we sometimes forget how easy something can go wrong.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I should find a local riding buddy, but my rides are usually last minute and unplanned... like yesterday. I decided to go at 3 pm Wednesday afternoon. Not too many others that could have gone with me.

I'm like you... I used to go out all the time alone into the surrounding mountains of Carbon County and just explore on my own. Something about being out there doing your own thing. That and it was just easier to load up and head out without making plans.

I still would go out alone, but I just don't have the time like I used to. :D

plaidfro

A good buddy of mine lives down there... his name is Ruxton Noble. I believe that he works with the Forest Service out of Grand Junction. When available he would be up for a ride... and he's been on more terrain in Utah than anyone I have ever met. I can get you some contact info if you're interested.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
ya I need better riding gear.

I endo'd my bike coming down a rocky loose shale hill out at 5mile pass about a month ago. Cartwheeled myself into a tree. I had gear on but my knees and forearms were pretty banged up. I'm sure I would have been completely fine if I had better gear.

I have a Thor pressure suit that needs some sewing... one of the straps came un-stitched. It's a Large/XL, IIRC, if you're interested, let me kow and we'll work something out. Pressure suits cover a lot of vulnerable parts on your upper body. RMATV usually has closeout deals on knee pads, that's where I got my current pair.

Honestly I value all of my crashes, rather they are sliders or tumblers :D I have learned alot over all the years of racing and riding.

I had a grasshopper take me off my bike once in a race, I watched it happen in slow motion. Powering WFO down a powerline road, about 150 feet out a nice big grasshopper jumped up and went to fly, it came directly into that small area between my nose and goggles like a bullet and exploded. The next few seconds were chaos, between being blind from bug on my googles and the instant eye watering I got I could not see a thing, I tried a panic stop but it was to late, the front rutted out and I was doomed. I high sided and took a hell of a tumble. My right hip has never been the same.

Its good to get stung every once in a while, keeps you grounded. Glad your ok Greg, we sometimes forget how easy something can go wrong.

Grasshopper... :rofl: Funny how something like that can cause a wreck. I've been stung, had flies get into my ear, etc, etc. Bugs suck!

I'm like you... I used to go out all the time alone into the surrounding mountains of Carbon County and just explore on my own. Something about being out there doing your own thing. That and it was just easier to load up and head out without making plans.

I still would go out alone, but I just don't have the time like I used to. :D

I love that aspect of being outdoors, alone. :)

A good buddy of mine lives down there... his name is Ruxton Noble. I believe that he works with the Forest Service out of Grand Junction. When available he would be up for a ride... and he's been on more terrain in Utah than anyone I have ever met. I can get you some contact info if you're interested.

I know Ruxton well, we've talked about doing some big rides, but haven't been out yet. I've known him since his days working up AF Canyon, clearing trails on a motorcycle, packing a chainsaw... probably 8-9 yrs ago? We do need to get together... perhaps I'll message him on Facebook.