The Best Tool I've Gotten Myself !!

R

rockdog

Well so far anyway:D A few months ago I read a thread on pirate about a plasma cutter sold by Parker Metalworking. This was before the big seabass writeup. So I thought I'd give em a call and see what I could get one for. I ended up buying the 40 amp 220 unit for $400.00. I Got it and hooked it up and chopped some 5/8" scrap I had to see if it worked. Like butter!! I've been so busy with my second job (business) That I hadn't had time to hardly use it. So I've started on my toy rebuild and I have to say this has to be one of my best purchases so far. The thing is literaly the size of a shoe box. The guys at Parker are killer to deal with. They back up what they sell 100%. You can buy consumables on ebay real cheap.
I could never have justifyed buying a big plasma for $1200 to $2500 for the amount of use it will get. But this has to be the best $400.00 I've ever spent. If your in the market check them out.
See ya, Phil

PS, I have no afilliation(sp) with these guys. Just wanted to let others know.

Caleb

it looks like their lowest end model has gone up to $700...still not a bad deal if it can cut 5/8" material.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
When I bought my thermal dynamics cutmaster 38, they were having all that jazz on pirate4x4. I went the more expensive and namebrand route. After they had several guys that got non functioning ones and warranty issues, but they did have lots of good expiriences especially for the money

R

rockdog

I checked that out... but all I could find is the $699 pricing... I was hoping there was somewhere out there still selling them @ the $400 :D

You have to call for the lower price.:D They'll give it to you. I had a couple of issues with mine to start with. But it was something that was my fault and Phil Sr. helped me out over the phone. I have no problem with higher end plasma's. But I think for $400.00 this thing rocks!!

KCJ401

I also have one of the Parker plasma cutters, got mine during the big PBB blowout. Gotta say it is a great cutter, not a production tool but great for the average joe.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I got a scratch & dent PT40... didn't come with setup directions/instructions and I haven't had the chance to try getting up & running. Good to hear you're happy with yours Phil. :)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
They're all sold out of the single-voltage 40 amp models as well as the dual-voltage model. More duals in around two weeks, singles in around a month. I guess I'm on a waiting list of sorts. :D

R

rockdog

A couple of things I learned with mine, so you guys don't end up making the same mistakes. I bought consumables off ebay. You can get a good deal on em, but there are small electrodes and big ones. My torch came with big ones and the ones I got off ebay were the small ones. I didn't notice the difference and ruined the torch and had to buy a new one from Parkers. The small ones will work fine but you need to grind down the first few threads in the porcelain cup so it will go all the way down onto the o ring. This way the plasma arc can't get inside the torch.
Next thing is the air regulator on the plasma sucks.It's just junk, so I just bypassed it and us the regulator on my compressor. I run about seventy pounds. It seems to work good with this pressure.
They really like dry, clean air. But most peps don't have a refrigerated air dryer in their home garage and don't have the mega bucks to buy one. So I did the poor mans air dryer. I went to Home Depot and bought 40 foot of 3/4" copper water line and some 90 degree elbows. I ran this back and forth on my garage wall. Then plumbed the compressor into one end and out to a harbor freight separator on the other end. I'm really surprised how well this worked. On the compressor end the tubing is hot. On the outlet end it's cool.:D I went one step further and put a motor guard filter after the HF separator.
Didn't really mean to right a novel here.:rolleyes: But I hope the info might be useful to others.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor

Caleb

:rofl: yeah it's a combo machine :p

I really wanted to get a tig with AC so I cold do aluminum as well but I think I'll be happy with this since I never really do much with Aluminum. I'm hoping the tig is as good as the plasma :p

R

rockdog

Turbo modification!!! What the #$%$%^ I wasn't offered the turbo upgrade. Now if Carl buys that machine, his will be able to kick mines ass.:eek: I can just see where this is going. Turbo now, then chipped, then stacks on the torch handle.:ugh: Damn, I knew I should have waited for the new model year to come out.