The Bronco gets a New Cage

Steve

Who Cares?
The Bronco gets a New Cage - IT'S DONE!

Doing more and more serious rock crawling, so it was time to replace the basic cage in the EB. A friend loaned me his JD Model 3, hydraulic/air powered tube bender - it's AWESOME! :D The new cage is almost done; here are some pics. The A & C pillars, as well as the B hoop and front spreader are 1.75" .120 wall DOM, the rest is 1.5" HREW, except for the seat mounts which are 1.25" HREW. Hopefully have it finished, painted and installed in a week or so.

Old cage (2" DOM but not very good):

Oldcage4.JPG

New cage as of today:

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG

Last edited:

Steve

Who Cares?
Greg said:
Very nice work Steve, the new cage looks much safer. Where'd you get the tube?
Yeah, it is MUCH safer than the old one, plus the new seats will be mounted to the cage instead of the body and I'm installing 4 point harnesses.

All the steel came from Bonner Suppy; it's on River Road kinda across the hwy and a bit west from the mall. They have pretty decent prices on steel. I paid just under $4/ft for 1.75" DOM and around $2/ft for the HREW. It took 3 sticks of DOM and 3 sticks of HREW with not much left over.

I travel a lot during the week Greg; let me check my schedule tomorrow and let you know when you can come over so we can set those gears up for you. (Oh, and good news, the beer fridge is packed full right now, so the gear setup will be truly free.) :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Steve said:
Yeah, it is MUCH safer than the old one, plus the new seats will be mounted to the cage instead of the body and I'm installing 4 point harnesses.

All the steel came from Bonner Suppy; it's on River Road kinda across the hwy and a bit west from the mall. They have pretty decent prices on steel. I paid just under $4/ft for 1.75" DOM and around $2/ft for the HREW. It took 3 sticks of DOM and 3 sticks of HREW with not much left over.

I travel a lot during the week Greg; let me check my schedule tomorrow and let you know when you can come over so we can set those gears up for you. (Oh, and good news, the beer fridge is packed full right now, so the gear setup will be truly free.) :D

Good to know where to get tube, looks like I'll be at Bonners soon enough.

Let me know about a time for the gears, like I said, I'm antsy. :D I'd be happy to do it on a weekend if that's the best for you. I didn't realize you traveled that much. I'll find a way to repay you, setting up gears for free is not fair for you. ;)

Steve

Who Cares?
Herzog said:
Any updates? I'd like to see it in the bronco. :cool:

I picked it up from the powder coater yesterday so it'll be installed & done this weekend. I'll post some finished pics. :D

Bart said:
I love the look, and you're doing nice work, but are you going to add some triangulation in the top?

Yep, that last pic wasn't finished. There is more triangulation as well as gussets in the finished version.

Steve

Who Cares?
Here's a pic of what went to the powder coater (minus the seats :p ). There is triangulation at the top of the A pillars where they join the front cross bar and there is triangulation beside the seats, both of which weren't in the last pic. There are also .25" steel gussets (horizontally mounted) between the B hoop and the A pillar.

I'll post installed pics Sunday. :D

IMG_0523.JPG

Steve

Who Cares?
Jarrod74 said:
Can you add to a exsiting cage?
The short answer is yes, you can. The long answer is, it depends - on what you have now, how it's constructed, what it's constructed of and what you want to add.

Last edited: