The Car conundrum, what to buy.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Any thoughts on the 4.6 liter GT mustangs in the 1999-2006 Era. Katelynn is thinking hard about buying her first car and is in love with Mustangs. I figured you might as well buy a GT vs. a silly v6 4.0.

Full disclosure: I owned and daily drove a 2006 Mustang GT 5-speed for a year and a half a while back.

There were three main versions of the n/a 4.6L V8 used in the Mustang:
  • the standard 2v version used through 1998, rated 215 hp or 225 hp depending on year
  • the Performance Improved version (with better flowing 2v heads) used 1999-2004 rated at 260 hp
  • the 3v version introduced with the all-new 2005 model rated at 300 hp
The only significant issue with the 3v engine is the OEM spark plugs. I don't know why, but Ford in all their wisdom decided to design and install these fancy 2-piece spark plugs on the assembly line. After a few years, when you go to remove them they break in half. This makes removing the remaining piece from the head a royal pain in the ass. It is so common, numerous tool companies have designed a special tool kit for just this operation. Once you get the broken pieces out of there, install proper aftermarket plugs and you're good to go.

The redesigned 2005 is an all-around better car than the former generation. The engine made good power IMO and, like most Ford V8s, sounds awesome with an exhaust upgrade. On my car, I removed the stock mufflers and replaced them with what were essentially glorified glasspacks (I forget the brand name). Good grief, that car sounded heavenly whenever I was on the throttle.

Long story short: if you're thinking about a V8 Mustang, the 2005+ is well worth a look.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Full disclosure: I owned and daily drove a 2006 Mustang GT 5-speed for a year and a half a while back.

There were three main versions of the n/a 4.6L V8 used in the Mustang:
  • the standard 2v version used through 1998, rated 215 hp or 225 hp depending on year
  • the Performance Improved version (with better flowing 2v heads) used 1999-2004 rated at 260 hp
  • the 3v version introduced with the all-new 2005 model rated at 300 hp
The only significant issue with the 3v engine is the OEM spark plugs. I don't know why, but Ford in all their wisdom decided to design and install these fancy 2-piece spark plugs on the assembly line. After a few years, when you go to remove them they break in half. This makes removing the remaining piece from the head a royal pain in the ass. It is so common, numerous tool companies have designed a special tool kit for just this operation. Once you get the broken pieces out of there, install proper aftermarket plugs and you're good to go.

The redesigned 2005 is an all-around better car than the former generation. The engine made good power IMO and, like most Ford V8s, sounds awesome with an exhaust upgrade. On my car, I removed the stock mufflers and replaced them with what were essentially glorified glasspacks (I forget the brand name). Good grief, that car sounded heavenly whenever I was on the throttle.

Long story short: if you're thinking about a V8 Mustang, the 2005+ is well worth a look.
Thank you. She is looking pre 2005 for the budget of 10k or less. She actually drove A 2001 Bullitt GT car recently and really enjoyed it. She wants to look at a couple more before she makes a decision.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
For the curious: I went digging into my archives to remember what exhaust upgrade I installed. It was an axle-back bolt-on Pypes kit, and these specific mufflers (well, resonators) are called Pype Bombs.

pypebomb-axelback-0510.386489.jpg

If you wanna hear them installed: