The Delta Trails?

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
I like upper chainsaw & hells backbone personally... Don't know that its worth the trip though unless your planning on traveling a boat load to hit lots of trails.

An iron man run from snakes to delta hells trails and then hanging tree in Ephraim would be cool.

Last edited:

flexyfool

GDW
Thanks. The location is appealing since it is 2-3 hours closer than the southern Utah trails, and I can go through Nevada and avoid the SLC greater metro area.

wheelewagon

I like upper chainsaw & hells backbone personally... Don't know that its worth the trip though unless your planning on traveling a boat load to hit lots of trails.

An iron man run from snakes to delta hells trails and then hanging tree in Ephraim would be cool.

I'd think I'd have to tag along on that one if someone put it together.

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Thanks. The location is appealing since it is 2-3 hours closer than the southern Utah trails, and I can go through Nevada and avoid the SLC greater metro area.

I haven't seen too many organized trail runs down there in the past few years (since I moved here), I've taken my group down there 4 times in 2 years cause the west desert area is just like the hammers and some of the trails are really rated 10 out of 10 which is super cool to test your whit's and rigs ability. You typically have to go with people that know the trails first and then you know where to go when you go back... that's the reason I pushed to get my group down there originally so I can start to organize a few more runs when friends show interest.

The difference from North Delta trails (topaz mtn, hells trails....) and SW Delta trails (chainsaw, cat canyon...) is quite the distance and from my perspective not doable in just a weekend. There also isn't really any GPS coordinates for most of the North trails so you have to go with someone who knows the trails and there's not many around so its hard to make schedules work. From my perspective where there's a will to run some different gnarly trails there's always a way to make it happen.

here's a few I captured... I'll have to dig out some old hard drives for the chainsaw pics:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.446229128810452.1073741843.172541932845841&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.445867838846581.1073741830.172541932845841&type=3

jinxspot

~ Bush Eater's Offroad ~
Here's a map to give ya an idea of the region, brush hwy is the area of most all of the "north trails" I've only been on two Hells backbone and New Helldorado. The SW trails are cat canyon and chainsaw. These areas are approximately 100miles apart, and don't forget Old6 & 50 is about 20+ miles on a gravel road which is pretty nasty when ya have 5 tow rigs and trailers following each other. It takes a bit of dedication and time to get a group down on these trails vs lets say HTT, 3Peaks in Cedar, Sand Hollow or Moab.... I absolutely love this barren/west desert area that carries rich mining history and epic rock terrain. Hoping this year gets more people interested in the area and more trips can be planned.

Two years ago our group even drove the Pony Express trail from Topaz Mountain all the way back to 5mile Pass for the heck of it... don't forget you also pass right by the Little Sahara sand dunes which is epic for lets say 85% of the outdoor recreational vehicle community in UT.

Delta Trails Region.jpg

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member

I agree. If deciding between St. George and Delta, it's St. George hands down. A lot more for family to do in St. George, better restaurants, wheeling is also closer proximity. But I woudn't do St. George in the summer.

Here's a map to give ya an idea of the region, brush hwy is the area of most all of the "north trails" I've only been on two Hells backbone and New Helldorado. The SW trails are cat canyon and chainsaw. These areas are approximately 100miles apart, and don't forget Old6 & 50 is about 20+ miles on a gravel road which is pretty nasty when ya have 5 tow rigs and trailers following each other.

That sounds miserable. We have never taken Old 6 and 50. We would take the "new" 6, and park just off the highway and drive the rigs through the wash to the trailhead.

I haven't seen too many organized trail runs down there in the past few years (since I moved here), I've taken my group down there 4 times in 2 years cause the west desert area is just like the hammers and some of the trails are really rated 10 out of 10 which is super cool to test your whit's and rigs ability. You typically have to go with people that know the trails first and then you know where to go when you go back... that's the reason I pushed to get my group down there originally so I can start to organize a few more runs when friends show interest.

The difference from North Delta trails (topaz mtn, hells trails....) and SW Delta trails (chainsaw, cat canyon...) is quite the distance and from my perspective not doable in just a weekend. There also isn't really any GPS coordinates for most of the North trails so you have to go with someone who knows the trails and there's not many around so its hard to make schedules work. From my perspective where there's a will to run some different gnarly trails there's always a way to make it happen.

There is absolutely some great wheeling down there for built rigs. A lot of very difficult lines available. I have the GPS route for Backbone and new Helldorado, just need to pull them off and upload them. I'll try and remember to do that tonight. I'd like to see these trails getting used more.