The Dingo - 'One Man Halftrack'

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Looks like it would be good in sand or smooth dirt roads, but I don't think it would handle much rougher terrain. Looks like fun in sand though.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I saw one from a distance at Little Sahara (where their dune videos were filmed) a month or so back. It didn't really look that impressive. The front end really plowed on turns and the handling looked like crap when compared to an ATV.

Really, it was impressive in a straight line. But, only in a straight line.

Jared

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Was the guy riding it an avid ATV pilot with little sled experience? As you may know piloting a seld is nothing like an ATV.. So, a sledhead would probably shred a dune on one of these.. Also, i'd think softer sand is better.. In the end, your still on a snowmobile adapted to sandy conditions..

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Was the guy riding it an avid ATV pilot with little sled experience? As you may know piloting a seld is nothing like an ATV.. So, a sledhead would probably shred a dune on one of these.. Also, i'd think softer sand is better.. In the end, your still on a snowmobile adapted to sandy conditions..

Since these have not yet been sold to the public (at least in a manufactured kit), I'm assuming it was one of the folks involved with the R&D of the product. He might not have known a sled from a blender, but most likely does.

In the video, it does show the guys leaning the sled over and carving some sharp turns with it, but it looks to be quite a bit of work and appears you couldn't do it at much speed. I totally agree about still being on just a modified sled. I'm betting unless it's just a straight line contest, a good ATV would blow one of these out of the water on the sand. In rougher terrain, I doubt the dingo could do more than ruin itself.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
Its a modified snowmobile.

as expensive as performance snowmobiles are to keep running in the winter, I cant imagine how much it would cost to keep one running that you abuse year round.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I raced a BITD event in May of '08 where a guy ran one of those, so they're not exactly "new". They didn't have a pre-determined class for him, so he got lumped in with the ATV/UTV's. His was indeed just a modified snowmobile and had a big aluminum radiator mounted on the back to keep cool (good thing too, as it was nearly 110* that day).

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I raced a BITD event in May of '08 where a guy ran one of those, so they're not exactly "new". They didn't have a pre-determined class for him, so he got lumped in with the ATV/UTV's. His was indeed just a modified snowmobile and had a big aluminum radiator mounted on the back to keep cool (good thing too, as it was nearly 110* that day).

.....and? How'd he do?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
.....and? How'd he do?

I believe he finished, but not sure how many loops he got in. This particular race is the shortest of the BITD series with each loop only being approx. 9 miles long. The checkered flag comes out once the lead racer starts the loop for the 7th time. After that, each racer completes whatever number loop they happen to be on.

This is also the only BITD race in which they seperate classes into different "heats" throughout the day, so I wasn't on the course at the same with the guy.

I do know this... the belt/track setup on snowmobiles are far more durable than I ever imagined.

Corban_White

Good point, but I was thinking more about the wear due to the terrain.
Oh-that. :D:D The belt is pretty well protected from anything but water and the track is really durable. The hy-fax on the skids however depends on the snow for lubrication. The link kurt posted said they dealt with that but it didn't say how.

Caleb

Oh-that. :D:D The belt is pretty well protected from anything but water and the track is really durable. The hy-fax on the skids however depends on the snow for lubrication. The link kurt posted said they dealt with that but it didn't say how.
I also would think that rocks, dirt, even sand to some extent would be far less forgiving on it than snow is.

Corban_White

On what components? Do you mean like the terrain acting on the suspension or the parts wearing out or what? Not trying to be argumentative here-just trying to understand. :)