The first UROC, were you there???

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I was thinking about all the UROC events in the past, and it's interesting how things have changed. When I look back at the first one, it really makes me laugh.

What do YOU remember about it? and if you weren't there, what did you hear about the event?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
The first one was in May of 2001 in Cedar City. There was only one class and Todd Little took 1st place. Carl (aka ILean) and I were there competing and so was Sucka B. Also, RockMonkey was judging back then.

It's funny how many rules had to be put into place after this event. You could get pretty creative, especially the spotters. :D

Caleb

I dont remember much from it, but I was there spectating...I remember the locations of the events were kinda a secret...I tried to get craig to tell me where it was gonna be and he wouldn;t say...said we had to meet at the park (I think it was the park) to find out where it was gonna be...

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by supergper
I dont remember much from it, but I was there spectating...

There was alot of funny stuff going on, but didn't realize it until I really thought back... It's been kind of cool being able to see 'em all and watch the evolution of UROC.

Things I remember about the first one:

(1) Kurt Hildebrand was running his revolver shackles. LOL
(2) Sucka B earned UROC's first roll (not all the way over though) early in the day and broke his windshield out (yes, people used to wheel with windshield frames :) ) This gave a real reality check to those who assumed UROC was just gonna be an easy version of ARCA. Alot of people didn't know what to expect, so there were competitors actually choosing not to do certain obstacles because of their difficulty. Wusses... :p
(3) A spotter could push on any part of a rig moving or not.
(4) A spotter could "surf" on the outside of a rig to add weight.
(5) One spotter even stood up in the rig through the cage as to not lose spotter ride points. Later, the same spotter sat on the hood while they did their course, since you lost points for exiting the rig.
(6) A spotter can crawl under the tire of the rig while it's on the course and running to diagnose locker issues. That would be Me! :D

This is all I can remember for now...

creighton

They want me to do what!?
I was there and Brett D was spotting. That was back when my rig was pretty. We were doing a spotter ride and the the front strap slid forward off the hood onto the ground. Brett went out the windsheild slid down the hood to grab the strap. When they got to 3 thousand I bumped forward and Brett almost slid off under the rig. We kicked butt on # 6. On our last obstical we brock the skid plate and sent the fan through the radiator. Ranch Pratt beat me by like 3 or 5 points finished like 7th or 8th

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by creighton
Ranch Pratt beat me by like 3 or 5 points finished like 7th or 8th

Thats right!!! Ranch was there in his TJ. Rumor had it that UROC was orginally going to be a "qualifying" competition for teams wanting to do ARCA. Thus, Ranch's involvement in the first one.

As for you Creighton, I totally overlooked ya man, sorry! I remember you coming in 8th place.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
Originally posted by Vonski

Rumor had it that UROC was orginally going to be a "qualifying" competition for teams wanting to do ARCA.

Supposedly the top two finishers in the UROC series that year were "guaranteed" spots in the ARCA series the next year. With the UROC series champion getting the ARCA series fee waived. I don't think Suka has run ARCA since UROC started so that probably never happened.

I was an assistant judge at the first event on obstacle #1.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I was judging on obstacle three, so i didn't get to see most of the courses. I guess I was on the best course though, I saw B's roll, and Creighton's Radiator, and Von crawling under Carl's rig to identify locker issues. I remember a whole buncha stuff falling out of B's rig when it rolled, Ya don't see that any more. I remember Ranch was the first guy to exit the course, turn around, and come back in to make it easier, and then everyone else did the same thing after that. I thought that was stupid, cause they weren't running the course as it was intended. No one tried the spotter ride on my course, so I didn't get to see those antics. Sure has changed a lot. Now, who (besides me) has been to EVERY UROC? I judged once, spotted once, and have driven every one since then.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
If I recall, (and not been to even One event) UROC was Utah Rock Crawling and for locals only.

Now it's national.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
The original idea was to have a smaller, more local, easier version of ARCA. At some point it changed from that and became the UROC we know and love today. I still think there is a place for a competition that is a bit milder, that people can take their trail rigs to, and have fun.

sukaB

Banned
Yah I remeber all that jargon....
Curt sold revolver rights to TERA cause he figured out they didnt work...Good move...

I quite running ARCA-rcaa because I didnt agree with where or how money was used....
Yes we got our free ride in ARCA I gave it to shupe.

The two best:
I also remember winning first place for the year...
I'll never forget that...

I also found Swamper my dog...

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by Vonski

(4) A spotter could "surf" on the outside of a rig to add weight.

Brent was good at that, he even got pitched off the side of the Bronco on course #6.:D I remember that alot of people thought it was always going to be smalltime, and they had no interest in running it.

creighton

They want me to do what!?
I have been to them all but spotted for the Supercrawl. And judges day 2 in Vernal the first year when they had that funny day one qualify for day two stuff.
I awarded todd little a 40 for his last obstical securing Brandons Victory