The future of Dump Bump and Potato Salad

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
excellent read. I have to agree with a lot of what is said. We have what I like to refer to as the "Redneck" factor in this sport. I am a fan of stereotypes because they help me bring things into a lowest common denominator of sorts.

The redneck factor is the faction of people that don't give a rats ass what other people think about their abusive habits as long as they are having a good time usually under the influence of alcohol.

To keep tabs on the redneck factor, dump bump and potato salad are great places to monitor and regulate. They are getting the holy hell kicked out of them by users but they are a necessary evil of sorts.

I am of the pessimistic belief that the redneck factor is going to be the determinate factor in the longevity of our past-time. If we can keep it under control, we will be able to clean up the collective face of our inherently dirty faced sport.

I was once of the belief of many people in america....if we illegalize it, maybe it will stop. The reality is that if it gets illegalized, people just do it somewhere else.

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
definate good read!

i agree with spence's points.

i believe that they should leave it open and regulate it heavily, when in use by alot of people. if they shut it down, those "redneck" types will just trash something else. i say let it stay open, but with more supervision. if that is possible.

i like watching Dump Bump, for i made $20 off a guy who broke a stock t-case mount, and was in dire need of a new one. so i had one at a high price. i normally would've givin it to him for nothing, but i had $15 at the time, one more day in town, then had to get home on that chunk of small change. he proly helped me more than i helped him.

never seen Potato Salad in action, in person. but i've heard good and bad stories.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Originally posted by SAMI

i like watching Dump Bump, for i made $20 off a guy who broke a stock t-case mount, and was in dire need of a new one. so i had one at a high price. i normally would've givin it to him for nothing, but i had $15 at the time, one more day in town, then had to get home on that chunk of small change. he proly helped me more than i helped him.

That's a real a-hole thing to do. Hopefully next time you break something on a trail the guy behind you makes you grab your ankles and lube up for a little part that'll get you going. Supply and demand, right? If I have a part someone needs to get fixed on a trail I generally give it to them, and ask that they replace it when they get back into town and can buy another one. If it's a small part, like a used t-case mount, they can just have it. I always kinda hoped everyone had the same attitude so I could count on other people when something goes wrong with my rig. Guess I better start carrying a spare $20, eh?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
wow, sorry for the momentary hijack Kurt...........

dude, i would normally have givin it to him, and i was about to until he said name the price. i felt kinda bad doing it but i really needed money to make it home. it was either $15 maybe $20. the guy was cool with it.

and i don't appretiate you getting upset at me when this wouldn't ever be normal practice and behavior for me.

my4thjeep

That is a good article. It is sad that people abuse things for their own pleasure.

Why not have a small fee for a permit to use the area? Use the money to patrol the area, add improvements, and make sure the trail stays in good condition. I hate having to pay for things after all the taxes that I spend get wasted on government's excessive spending but if it will keep trails open and keep the "tree huggers" happy and out of our hair I am willing to spend the money.

Back east 4 wheelers often pay to wheel. Places like Tellico and Paragon. Other outdoor places have fees. Desolation wilderness backpack camping has a fee in CA. (Portions of the Rubicon are in Desolation wilderness)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
It is disgusting what goes on up there on Friday and Saturday nights of Easter weekend. Absolutely no respect for the land or other users, and blatant drug and alchohol abuse. I hate it, but I don't think there is anything we can do to stop it. That is a big part of the reason I stopped going to EJS. You can close Potato Salad, and Dump Bump, but then the crowd will just move on to another area and trash it. Potato Salad is right next to the land fill, how much damage can they do compared to what is next door? I think they need to leave Potato Salad open and accessable as a drunk magnet to give that crowd a place to do their thing, and keep them away from the trails. What sucks is that these drunk bastards are giving the greenies all the ammo that they need to close not just potato salad, but trails throughout the state. The ONLY answer is education, and user responsibility, but I just don't see this working with that group.

Floppy Hat

mbryson's hairdresser
Originally posted by my4thjeep
Why not have a small fee for a permit to use the area? Use the money to patrol the area, add improvements, and make sure the trail stays in good condition. I hate having to pay for things after all the taxes that I spend get wasted on government's excessive spending but if it will keep trails open and keep the "tree huggers" happy and out of our hair I am willing to spend the money.

Unfortunately, I think charging a fee would have the same effect as closing the area. Once a fee system is implemented there is a large proportion of users that move to a different area, essentially creating a radical change in the "type" of user the area sees. Some people simply refuse to pay and instead find someplace else. In this situation, I think the people who would refuse to pay are the exact people who are causing the problem and the problem would just move to a different area.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Originally posted by Floppy Hat
...Unfortunately, I think charging a fee would have the same effect as closing the area. Once a fee system is implemented there is a large proportion of users that move to a different area, ...

I agree that a fee will force them else where....

My solution: Heavy fines for all violators... they already issue alot of tickets for the area (underage drinking, DUI, pblic intox) now they need to fine them the maximum amount to further fund law enforcment in the area... and do it everywhere else around town as well... Those that do the crimes should pay to regulate the ones that don't, not vise-versa....

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I agree with Kurt. Give 'em all big fat fines. I would guess it wouldn't change their behavior around the area, they'd still be drunk freaks running around, but that extra money could help the area. Besides, I love going to PSH to watch people go up it and to laugh at all the drunkards. Don't close down the area, just more control through law enforcement officers.
Devin

95jeepgrndchke

Well this is a good article and a good topic. But that fact is that this year they did fence off dump bump, and you did pay a fee, $1 to watch as a ped. and $5 to drive you vehicle in there.Dump Bump is no more! Im not agianst the regulation of these areas I too belive that something has to be done to preserve the areas during EJS. On the other hand I went to Moab over Labor Day and was still charged to go into Dump Bump! I dont see the logic behind this there is no need to clean up after me when im the only one that went up it that day! Some one is trying to get rich off of these areas! I also belive that you cannot shut these areas down completly becuase new areas will from and it will just be a repeating cycle, The law needs to be more stern like what was mentioned in previous posts

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by 95jeepgrndchke
On the other hand I went to Moab over Labor Day and was still charged to go into Dump Bump! I dont see the logic behind this there is no need to clean up after me when im the only one that went up it that day! Some one is trying to get rich off of these areas! I also belive that you cannot shut these areas down completly becuase new areas will from and it will just be a repeating cycle, The law needs to be more stern like what was mentioned in previous posts

You got charged? We went there and played around on Sunday for free. They put up a sign that said: "For the Labor Day wheelers, access to Dump Bump is free this weekend."

:rofl:

There were about 15 or more other people there too.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by 95jeepgrndchke
I know i saw you that day but i went up on sat and got charged:(
I went on sunday too but that is besides the point;)

Oh! That was you in the Red Cherokee? (it was red right? My memory sucks sometimes...)

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Moab this spring was a blast! Aside from parking lot destruction of Spence's rear axle on the Zuk, I had a ton of fun!! What I am trying to say is that there is a huge opportunity for everyone to have fun out there. Drunks, rednecks, hillbillies and all of us regular folk who frequent these places. I might be pushing an altruistic point, but if we get past the regulations, if we get past the bureaucracy, if we get past all the folks who treat the area with reckless abandon, then we need to take it a step further. We need to lead by example.

My example is when myself, Spencurai, WankerDeluxe, and a few others that went down to run Dump Bump and Hell’s Revenge, we made sure TO PAY before we entered. I say that because there was a thought of not paying as it was late and no one was looking and funds were running low. Not paying for a trail like this is like ducking the lines at a ski resort. It just makes it harder for everyone else who has to pay ever-higher ticket prices in subsequent years. However, we won’t have the luxury of a trail to pay to run after it is taken away from us.

My Grandfather told me that character is what you do when others are not looking. It is especially valid in our sport. Often we are alone or in a really small group and we will not chastise our good friends for ducking a use fee, tearing it up, dumping some fluid, or leaving a rut the size of Rhode Island. But I think it speaks volumes about many of the people in our sport that we even attempt to get to the bottom of why these things are important and lash out against the same kind of fanaticism that brings down buildings.

James Wilson