The H'ell Camino

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've used them on exhaust before, it came out great.
You should think about getting that exhaust coated. It looks really nice.

RockChucker

I built my entire exhaust on my tj with v band clamps. It is slick to be able to easily remove it piece by piece. I would recommend a high temp rtv on the faces of the flange to seal it though. Mine has developed exhaust leaks over time. I suspect due to warping of the flanges with heat cycling. When I put my new motor in I’ll be sealing the flanges.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
No pics worth sharing, but I did button up a few small things; Finished plumbing the new gas tank by connecting all the fuel supply lines, vent hose and filler tube fittings. Also connected the transmission shifter cable to the transmission and secured cable to body. Tacked up the exhaust where everything should fit. Also tightened up the trans. cooler lines at the radiator. I ordered a bunch of small parts to help button this thing up, O2 sensors, knock sensors, coolant temp sensor, radiator cap, electric fan mounts, etc. I need to purchase new battery cables and build ground straps.... I have some heavy gauge cables I can use.

I'm hesitant to work on all the wiring, I hate electrical wiring!

Greg

Admin
Little update far as parts acquisition... I've been planning to upgrade the brakes from all drums and talked about it early on in the thread. I was going to use late model Camaro parts for the rear, but a friend had a complete rear disc brake kit from Right Stuff Detailing. My friend was working on a Chevelle build and the owner changed direction and didn't want these parts anymore, they've been sitting for a handful of years, so Justin gave them to me. It has 11" drilled and slotted rotors, hydraulic e-brake that ties into the factory e-brake cables. Pretty awesome!

20200205_150922-XL.jpg

20200205_151110-XL.jpg

20200205_151107-XL.jpg

Looks like it's this kit- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-afxrd01/

My plan is to run it with a front disc brake kit that allows for 13" rotors and dual piston Corvette C5 calipers, like this one - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-6474swbkstcb/

I'll upgrade the booster and master cyl at the same time to a disc/disc unit- https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-g94210572/

That all will cost under $1000 and be a massive upgrade in braking performance, I think the brakes and suspension will be a good match with the engine & transmission as well. Still would like to add bigger anti-sway bars, but that will come eventually.

Greg

Admin
Finally got back to working on this thing, I haven't had much downtime the last few months, work has had me traveling all over the country. The first thing I did was roll it out of the shop and sweep it out. It was nice to get it outside again, this is the first time I've had on the new suspension with the full weight with the engine and transmission installed. I have been curious about the final ride height and it looks perfect... the tires tuck up inside the fenders and it looks pretty damn level. Love the final stance, it's low and mean... but not too low.

20200401_115628-X2.jpg

20200401_115554-X2.jpg

Once back in the shop, I started to finish weld the exhaust after checking placement... and promptly ran out of gas. -_- I'll get the tank filled at some point today and finish it up.

I talked about gauges not too long ago and the idea of running a tablet, but felt like it just didn't fit this car. So I picked up a set of Auto Meter Phantom series gauges with the white face. I picked up Oil Pressure, Coolant Temp and Voltage gauges. They're 2 5/8" with electric sending units and added a black bezel to mount them. I prefer mechanical gauges, but was having trouble finding the parts to install them with my setup at the engine, so went with electric.

20200401_112845-X2.jpg

20200401_151032-X2.jpg

I got them bolted in place under the dash, they're out of the way but plenty visible. They didn't come with the right coolant temp sending unit, so I had to order it... should be here on Saturday. The oil pressure sending unit is in place, just have to wire it up. Working on adding the power and grounds for the gauges and the lights, so they will come on with the headlights. The gauges look good, especially next to the Winters shifter. The rest of the interior is pretty stock, so those parts hint at what's under the hood. ;)

20200401_154641-X2.jpg