The Jeep Dolly

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
So the floor panels flex too much when I bounce my fat ass up and down on them. I couldn't sleep all night because my stupid brain kept obsessing over the problem.

You know what would solve that flexing issue the easiest? A sheet of plywood on top of all of that beautiful metal work... 😬

Instead, I'll spend all day today laying on my back welding in stiffeners to the bottom of each panel. And hope it works.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
For the powdercoating I'm gonna take it to Amped Coatings nearby in Tooele. He did my Jeep bumpers last year and I'm pretty happy with them. I contacted him and verified that it would fit in his oven.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
So the floor panels flex too much when I bounce my fat ass up and down on them. I couldn't sleep all night because my stupid brain kept obsessing over the problem.

You know what would solve that flexing issue the easiest? A sheet of plywood on top of all of that beautiful metal work... 😬

Instead, I'll spend all day today laying on my back welding in stiffeners to the bottom of each panel. And hope it works.

but you're not a tire, are you? even running a piece of flat strap lengthwise across the bottom might stiffen them up enough to not notice it

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
but you're not a tire, are you? even running a piece of flat strap lengthwise across the bottom might stiffen them up enough to not notice it
Sometimes I feel tired?
I figure I need to add SOMETHING to stiffen them, or I'll end up with a board on top of them when they start to sag.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Neat. I've used cooking spray but I've never played with the actual anti-spatter stuff. What brand did you use?
I can't remember the brand. It smells like Pam cooking spray though. The next spray I buy will be from Fireball Tools. He sells it in a gallon jug for a pretty good price.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Keep in mind, I'm just a dumb truckdriver, but here's what I've found to make sense to my cave man brain. This is the spray I'm currently using

A2E5C03A-904C-414D-A106-F83ABACEA485.jpeg

These are about as close up as I can get with pics. One is without anti-spatter, one with. I've only blown on the panels to remove the loose debris.
4AABCCB6-E25B-430A-B56E-35CA858585A8.jpeg05526E68-5306-4E8B-ADA6-CF962DE1ECAF.jpeg

The one without spray will need more cleanup with the wire wheel and maybe a chisel for some those bb's. I didn't have much spatter for these welds, but if I did it would require even more elbow grease to get the bb's off.