The KTM 690 Enduro

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This thread is basically a place for me to keep track of the mods of my 690 and discuss my experience and opinion of the bike. The first post will be getting changed/updated as the bike changes.

About a year ago I bought a '08 KTM 690 Enduro that was on consignment at Beemers & More in Ft Collins, Colorado. Before that, I had been riding a Suzuki DR650 that I had modified quite a bit, but found the DR to be uninspiring and well... boring. I was looking for something similar to the DR, but wanted a bike that would make riding that much more exciting. I'm certain I've found that with the 690 Enduro!

The KTM 690 Enduro is an interesting bike, KTM calls it a 'Hard Enduro'... the engine and chassis are based on KTM's 690 Duke, which is a Supermoto bike. Of course, the Enduro has different suspension, wheels & tires and a very different headlight and plastics. It has a Trellis frame, the single cylinder engine makes almost 70 HP from the factory, it's fuel injected and is coupled to a 6 speed transmission. The power is excellent, it makes good power down low and can be lugged around when offroad... and when you yank on the throttle, it has a very smooth & linear pull into the upper RPM's. The engine's power is impressive... it will put a smile on anyone's face! The other aspect of the bike that really makes it fun is the braking... it's very confidence-inspiring. Compared to my DR, the brakes on the KTM make it feel more like a sport bike, you can come into a corner pretty hot and the brakes give you the feeling of total control. I've noticed how fun the bike is on the curved roads, even with knobbies you can really lean the bike over and pour on the speed. Pretty impressive for a 'dirt bike'! The downfall of the Trellis frame is how wide it is at the forks... the turning radius isn't that great and at times when offroad, you need to take that into consideration.

Offroad the suspension works beautifully... when the trails get rough, you can feel that it's a bigger bike. It's not a bike I would want to take somewhere that was too technical, but so far the bike seems to handle rough trails quite well. Dirt roads at speed are fun, the bike just plain works! KTM claims the bike weighs just over 300#'s dry, which is pretty impressive. My 690 has quite a bit of aftermarket goodies, but I do need to weigh it one of these days and see where it stands now. I would imagine it's over 350#'s, which is fine by me!

Maintenance intervals on the 690 Enduro are quite generous, 3,000 miles on oil changes and 6,000 miles on valve checks. The guys at KTM of Aspen mentioned that the valves hardly move on these bikes, which great news.

The 690 hasn't been without it's problems... when I got it, the bike wasn't running perfect. It did occasionally have starting & running issues. The problems made me quite wary of riding the bike too far and that not right! The EFI on these bikes is quite finicky, to say the least. Fuel pumps go out way too early, injectors clog, etc, etc. This winter I took the bike down for some work, added some aftermarket parts, deleted some emissions stuff, put on a set of knobbies, etc. Come Springtime, I fired up the bike and it would run with throttle, but die if I let it idle. I had a hunch that the EFI Map wasn't right, but there were a few other minor issues that all contributed to the 690 not running like it should. The guys at Aspen KTM took care of all the problems, checked the fuel pressure, checked the valves, cleaned the throttle body, changed the plug, etc. The biggest thing was uploading the correct Map, since the bike has an FMF exhaust and the wrong tune for the pipe... and they did it all very quickly, making the total bill bearable. Great customer service too.

When I picked up the 690, the previous owner had a good start on mods to make the bike more offroad capable and long-distance travel friendly. Here's what it had when I picked it up.-

• KTM Aluminum Panniers (Rebadged Zega cases) and Factory KTM Rack
  • Touratech rear luggage rack
  • Heated Grips (Now upgraded to Oxford heated grips)
  • KTM Parts Skidplate
  • Rear disc guard
  • KTM Parts Handguards
  • FMF 'Q' Exhaust pipe
  • Aftermarket/Relocated rear Blinkers
  • Lowered bike about 1.5" (Now back to stock height)

Since I've owned it, I'd added...

• 1.5" Rox Bar Risers
  • Pivot Pegs
  • Continental TKC80 tires (now running a rear Motoz Tractionator tire)
  • Uni Pod air filter
  • Garmin 550 Zumo GPS
  • Seat Concepts new foam & cover
  • Rally Raid fuel tanks for 2.5 gallons more (Grand total of 5.5 gallons capacity)
  • Wolfman Tank Bag
  • Renzago Racing gas tank cap
  • Giant Loop Coyote saddle bag (When the aluminum panniers aren't desirable)
  • Sigutech Clutch Slave Cyl
  • Double Take Mirrors

Greg

Admin
This pic is from my first trip on the 690, the day after I brought it home-

P6090020-L.jpg

And a video from that ride...

[video=youtube;MIzBgg7JLLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIzBgg7JLLc[/video]

And how it currently sits...

P1010180-XL.jpg

Video from last weekends ride...

[video=youtube;MNQSQJkZpuM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNQSQJkZpuM[/video]

Greg

Admin
I see the Mefos on it in one pic, and what appears to the TKC80, or Karoos on it in the subsequent pics?

The bike had Metzler Saharas mounted when I bought it (first pic), I swapped them for a pair of TKC80's recently. Unfortunately the 690 will chew thru a rear TKC80 in about 1,500 miles if you like the throttle.

After the current TCK80 wears out in the rear, I'm going to try the MotoZ Tractionator Desert H/T. It's made of natural rubber and is supposed to last around 3,500-4,000 miles. Once the front TKC80 wears out, I may just put another one on. It seems to be a good all around tire.

Greg

Admin
Rad, love you the way you have outfitted this. And to think you used to abhor the taste of orange koolaide :D

It's coming along quite well... now I just need to get out on some bigger rides! I would like to try ride both the UTBDR and COBDR this Summer, spend about a week on each one.

My distaste was based on past KTM ownership... :cody: Back before KTM's were even popular... :p I loved my old 1990 KTM 250 MX... when it ran. :D

B2-Bomber

sorry, I was sort of replying to Cascadia's desire to get one with my opinion on them, i'll play nice. i'll even delete it off your thread.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
So sweet, Greg. The more I read about you, Caleb and other hitting the trail the more I think about picking up an Enduro bike. And lets be honest, the cost of gas is fueling that desire to!

Out of curiosity, do you have any opinion on this versus a KLR 650 and DR 650?

Greg

Admin
So sweet, Greg. The more I read about you, Caleb and other hitting the trail the more I think about picking up an Enduro bike. And lets be honest, the cost of gas is fueling that desire to!

Out of curiosity, do you have any opinion on this versus a KLR 650 and DR 650?

I think you'd love it Stephen, it's so much more simple to head out on a dual sport verses a 4x4. You can cover a ton of ground quickly and yeah... get 50 MPG doing it!

I owned a '98 KLR 650 for a while and while they will do the job, I didn't care for it at all. The KLR is a good all around bike, but it sucks for any real offroad travel. It was even less inspiring than my DR650. I would choose a DR650 over a KLR all day long. The KLR has a 6 gallon tank from the factory, but you can get a 5 gallon tank for the DR for a $250 or so. The DR650 is air cooled, super-simple and reliable as could be. My old DR was very well setup and I still miss it sometimes... but a quick ride on the 690 makes me forget all about it. :D

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Good info, thanks. I'll probably start seriously considering something like this after I get back from my Australia trip in October.
The biggest draw to the KLR and DR is their prices used.

Tonkaman

My entire trip through the swell I was thinking how much better the view would be on a bike. Hopefully I'll be able to get a big boy bike next year

Greg

Admin

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Stephen, you may also want to consider the new Husky tr650 Terra. I have looked it over, and it may very well be my next bike. And it's KLR cheap.

Greg

Admin
Got to spend some quality time with the 690 the last couple days, fixed the leaking counter shaft seal, swapped out the leaking clutch slave cyl for the improved Sigutech Clutch Slave Cyl and changed the oil, since mineral oil from the leaking slave had found it's way into the crankcase. I also had a burned out brake bulb and the license plate was a bit loose, so changed the bulb and used the new license plate bracket I got from 'rkillpack' on here. I was also able to get a bunch of cleanup work done, the bike was pretty dirty in places before from the leaking counter shaft seal leaking motor oil onto the chain, which threw it everywhere. Ended up taking the bike out for a 90 mile road ride today to make sure everything was ready for a bigger day ride tomorrow... so far, so good!

Some pics from today's quick ride...

20130607_105919_Richtone%28HDR%29-XL.jpg

20130607_105934_Richtone%28HDR%29-XL.jpg

From today's ride, the Colorado National Monument above GJ...

20130607_105719-X3.jpg

Greg

Admin
It's mid-January, time to work on the bike and get it ready for the next riding season! I didn't get out on many rides last year and I want to change that for 2014. The bike didn't need that much work, just minor changes.

One thing I did last year that I didn't mention here, was upgrading the stock EFI fuel pump. The factory pumps are known to burn out at the worst possible time, a factory replacement runs over $350!! :eek: I bought a quality aftermarket replacement from CA Cycleworks for $130 and bolted it in. - http://ca-cycleworks.com/products/fuel-carbs/fp-hus-5633

My rear tire, a TKC80, was pretty much shot after 2k miles. I liked the tire, but 2k miles isn't much. I replaced it with a Motoz Tractionator Desert H/T. They're supposed to last 4k miles or more and have great traction offroad, but may not work great on wet pavement. Honestly, that's fine by me... I try not to ride in the rain, but that doesn't always work out. One of the selling points to the Motoz is that they're made with natural rubber, making better traction and lasting longer. My front TKC80 is still going strong, about 70-75% tread left and no feathering. The picture of the odometer is more for my knowledge, so I can track the miles I get out of the rear tire. :D 7,200 miles when the Motoz rear went on.

20140118_134805-L.jpg

20140118_134833-L.jpg

20140118_134730-L.jpg

Since I bought the bike, my heated grips haven't worked. I got out the test light and meter out today and it appears that the electric elements have a short. I have power at the switch, on both High and Low settings... but no heat. I'm going to replace the elements before it warms up and toss on a new pair of grips.

That's about it... I can't wait to get out and ride the 690 again come Spring!

GAR

Cool looking tire. I'm excited to hear how it works out for you. Looks like an alternative to the d606

Greg

Admin
Cool looking tire. I'm excited to hear how it works out for you. Looks like an alternative to the d606

Me too! I hear they're loud on the street, Motoz also makes other types of tires that also last long and have good traction. I may have to pick one up for the 300 soon and see how they work out. I'll be sure to update my experience with the 690's Motoz tire.