The Maze 3-17-2014

DAA

So, it's been awhile since I've done a trip report. Did a great trip this week and decided to write it up. So, here it is...

On the afternoon of Sat. the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] of March, I rolled into Hippy Camp just north of Goblin Valley where I met Jeff, Robert and Rachel, Barrett and Zachary. After brief introductions, Jeff explained that Brooke was broke down north of Hanksville and Doug was with him. Shortly afterward, Jeff rolled out to go help too and I decided to go hit Goblin Valley real quick before dark.
A few pics of camp and Goblin Valley.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-304W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-318-W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-346-W.jpg

Jeff didn’t arrive back in camp until fairly late, with the bad news that Brooke’s Trooper was still not running and that he would probably not be able to complete the trip. The next morning, Doug arrived after having spent the night in Hanksville with confirmation that Brooke’s rig wasn’t cooperating and he wouldn’t be coming. Bummer!

So, rolling out of Hippy Camp for The Maze on Sunday morning, we were only five rigs instead of six. Me and Jeff both in LJ’s, Barrett and Zachary in a TJ, Doug in his K-5 and Robert and Rachel in their Dodge CTD.
The Hans Flat road was in pretty decent shape and we made good time to the ranger station. After the obligatory check-in procedure, we were off on down the road towards The Maze.

Our first stop was French cabin. My favorite piece of old junk here is the boiler.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-374W.jpg

From there we continued on to Flint Flat (so named because of the numerous flint chips and flakes that were there in the old days before people pocketed them all). We took a few minutes to visit the Flint cabins, which are in really good shape, with lots of cool old detritus lying about to pick up and look at.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-381W.jpg

The cabins were built in 1919 by E.T. Wolverton and T.C. Conley in support of their Nequoia oil company venture. They did a lot of exploring and drilling in the Elaterite and Big Water country but never did find oil. The boiler used to power their drilling rig can still be seen just off the trail in Big Water.

- DAA

DAA

From the Flint Cabins we continued on, past the turn for the switchbacks and drove out onto Big Ridge. We stopped for lunch at The Neck, which is one of the more dramatic viewpoints in the area. The ridge is only about 100 feet wide at this spot, but 1,400 feet tall. The views in each direction are mind boggling.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-387W.jpg

From one spot, you can see Cataract Gorge on the Colorado river, with Imperial Valley and Beef Basin beyond, the Needles district and many of the familiar landmarks there easily identifiable. Looking northeast, you can clearly see the White Rim and Island in the Sky. The La Sals, Abajos, Navajo Mountain, the Henry’s, Aquarius Plateau and Fish Lake High Top – all can be seen from this one spot. Amazing!

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-438W.jpg

Zachary having an “oh crap!” moment.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-424W.jpg

And after recovering his composure.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-427W.jpg

Following lunch we backtracked and descended the Flint Switchbacks.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-456W.jpg

From there it was down Big Water canyon and through Elaterite Basin to skirt Horse Canyon before finally arriving at our campsite destination – The Maze Overlook. Easily one of the best views of any camp, anywhere!

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-501-EditW.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-508W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-512-EditW.jpg

I elected to put up my tent this night, but ended up being too warm – had to unzip my bag and hang an arm and leg out. Note – I left the Springbar home and brought a free standing tent. It is hard finding enough soil to hold a tent stake at The Overlook.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-527-EditW.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-593-EditW.jpg

DAA

The next morning, Monday the 17[SUP]th[/SUP], a few of us took the Overlook trail down into The Maze to go see the Harvest Scene panel.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-615W.jpg

We stopped to look at this non-descript snake ‘glyph along the way. I’m pretty sure this is the one that Edward Abbey mentions seeing in Desert Solitaire when he describes his hike down into The Maze. So, ever since first finding it on a trip with Randy and Jared a few years ago, I think of it and call it the Abbey snake.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-630W.jpg

The Harvest Scene was spectacular, as always. We were lucky to have some overcast this morning, which makes for better viewing of this particular panel than direct sunlight.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-649-EditW.jpg

It takes time and close inspection to start appreciating all the fine detail work in these pictograpsh. One of the many details in the picture below that caught my eye this time is the stooped over figure in the middle. There are two long lines drawn out from the outstretched arm – to me it looks like someone threshing rice grass. Which, by the way, that is what is growing out of the outstretched middle finger of the figure on the right – rice grass.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-676W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-681W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-683W.jpg

Then we humped it back up to the camp, hopped in our rigs and started the long bumpy road from there to The Doll House. We took our time, stopping frequently to take pictures or just gawk at the scenery. Our stops became more frequent and longer as we started passing through the Land of Standing Rocks. I personally never get tired of this area!

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-766-W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-774-W.jpg

- DAA

DAA

Eventually, we arrived at the Doll House. The Park Service allows only three vehicles per campsite, so we were split up with Jeff, Robert and Doug in #1 and me and Barret in #2. This was my first time staying in #2. I like #1 way better! Especially when the wind is blowing. Which, on this day, the wind was HOWLING! In site #1, you could hardly tell, it is so well protected. In site #2, if anything, the wind was being funneled and was actually blowing HARDER in the campsite than it was in general.

No worries though! I decided it probably wouldn’t be any colder than the night before (even with the wind) and decided to skip the tent. I’m glad I did. The stars were amazing!

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-817W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-841-W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-845W.jpg

I rolled out early Tue. morning to get a cup of coffee ready and take a walk to my favorite huge rock to sit on top of and watch the world fill with light. Didn’t even take any pictures from that spot. Just sat there sipping my coffee and loving life. I did take a few pics while walking back to camp though!

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-851W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-878-W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-887-W.jpg

- DAA

DAA

After packing up we all rolled out of the Doll House for Sunset Pass. The views from the west side of the pass and the head of North Hatch Canyon are awesome, the road is fairly smooth and stress free, it’s just a really nice drive through there.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-917-W.jpg

The old Hudson-turned-into-trailer in Hatch Canyon.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-931W.jpg

Eventually we arrived at and crossed the Dirty Devil, at approximately 100 CFM – no sweat.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-68W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-13W.jpg

We went about halfway up Poison Springs and turned back up Black Jump where we made an early camp and settled in to relax and goof off for the rest of the day.
My bed for this night.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-91W.jpg

Tons of petrified wood around camp, everywhere you look.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-106W.jpg

- DAA

DAA

That night we had a nice campfire and everyone lingered later than usual, enjoying the company and swapping stories. A great night along the trail!

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-82W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-89W.jpg

After breaking camp Wed. morning we started up Poison Springs, making just a few stops for some of the interesting sights along the way – the Butch Cassidy inscription and a couple of rock art sites.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-119W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-138W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-141W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-152W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-158W.jpg

- DAA

Last edited:

DAA

Eventually, we made it back to pavement on highway 95 south of Hanksville. Jeff had been staring at a low fuel warning light on his dash all of the previous day. Worse, at one point he had said out lout to Doug and I that, quote “… I have NEVER ran out of gas…”. When he said that, Doug and I looked at each other and we were all sure, all three of us, that yup, Jeff was going to run out of gas. And… Sure enough, he did!

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-164W.jpg

Could have been a lot worse. At least he made it back to the highway before running out and only had to be towed about 15 miles into Hanksville.

From Hanksville, Robert and Rachel, Barrett and Zachary headed their separate ways towards home, Twin Falls and St. George. Jeff, Doug and I, couldn’t stand the thought of driving north on highway 6 towards Wellington for the millionth time, so we decided to take the scenic route. Instead of getting on I-70, we headed north on the dirt road up Buckmaster Draw. The entire area was just loaded with mine shafts and mining relics, old building foundations etc. We only stopped to look at a few, but a guy could spend a lot of time right there if he wanted to look at more of it.

From Buckmaster we paralleled Saleratus Wash to the Smith cabin in Tidwell Draw where we took a nice long break.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-183W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-185-EditW.jpg

Then we headed north up Tidwell, along the old Spanish Trail.

At one of our stops we took a little walk just to stretch our legs and I spotted a suspicious looking opening and what looked like rock art. Turns out that is exactly what it was. The pictographs are so faded and exfoliated, they don’t amount to anything but random lines anymore, but it appeared like it was probably a decent panel at one time.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-192W.jpg

The opening was more interesting… That little opening in the picture is too tight for a man to crawl into. But it goes back in a LONG way. And, more interesting still, the ceiling of it is heavily fire blackened for as far back as I could see. The floor seemed to be relatively loose fill. Pack rat debris and the like. I think the bottom has filled in over time and that the tunnel used to be big enough for a person to get through. Really makes me wonder what might be all the way back in there, if a guy were small enough and brave enough to make the crawl.

Eventually we hit the Green River Cutoff, stopping to snap a couple pics of nearby Rancho Not So Grande.

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-204W.jpg

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-205W.jpg

From there it was high speed bombing out to Castle Dale, then just the highway drive home. Good times had by All! Thanks for the invite Jeff – I enjoyed everyone’s company, had a great time!

- DAA

sixstringsteve

Awesome tr Dave. As you know, we were in dollhouse #2on Thursday and Friday. We had a great time, but we ended up driving right past some of the cool spots you stopped at. Now I have yo go back and see everything we missed. I wish we had you along to show us all the cool stuff. Great pics too. What's the secret to getting a great sun flare like your toilet pic?

DAA

Thanks guys. I probably should do more TR's. Just kind of got out of the habit.

What's the secret to getting a great sun flare like your toilet pic?

Well... Don't take what I say too seriously, because I really don't know. But what I did, was used a small aperture and simply looked through the viewfinder until the sun was only partially showing from behind the monolith and I could see the sunbeams or flare in the viewfinder.

- DAA

RRBDodge

First I want to say we had an awesome time with some awesome people! Jeff can't thank you enough for the invite. I'll share some of our pictures later. Thanks for the write up Dave and thanks for the memories Jeff, Dave, Doug, Barrett and Zack.

Hardcastle

Cool trip. Thanks for sharing. I was in this area about a week ago and missed a bunch of the stuff you saw. I guess i'll eventually have to go back.

DAA

Cool trip. Thanks for sharing. I was in this area about a week ago and missed a bunch of the stuff you saw. I guess i'll eventually have to go back.

The Maze really needs some time to be done right, in my opinion. We just skimmed some of the most easily accessible and quickest highlights. But due to time constraints, we had to drive right past more really cool stuff than we stopped for. My best Maze trip ever was when I went with Randy and Jared and we just stayed in the Land of Standing Rocks for a few days and actually had time to look at more the area has to offer. Also did a trip just a few weeks after that one where we stayed at the Doll House for a few nights in a row and that was awesome too.

- DAA