The Maze, May '15

DAA

We rolled out of Green River on Thur. morning with three rigs – me and my son Logan in my LJ, Steve and Jenn is Steve’s JKU and Pete in his Tacoma. I chose the more relaxed, scenic route to Hans Flat taking the dirt Green River road south out of town.

We stopped at the old Chaffin ranch to see if the geyser would spout for us, but it didn’t.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-6W.jpg

You can see in the picture above just how threatening the skies were at that point. Soon after getting back underway, the rain started to pour and the wind began to howl. A pretty heavy storm, that would not let up before we reached the ranger station at Hans Flat.

Predictably enough, the rangers at Hans Flat informed us that we would not be able to reach our intended campsite at Millard because the Flint trail switchbacks were impassable due to the heavy rain of the past few days. I asked very specifically whether the switchbacks were washed out, or just too dangerous because they would be mud. The answer was just basically not to try them or we would die. Soooo, we proceeded to the switchbacks, which we then descended effortlessly, without any drama whatsoever.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-26W.jpg

We caught a break in the rain and were able to stop for lunch without getting wet, before continuing on towards the Millard camp site along the Green River. The rain started pouring again as we went and would continue off and on throughout the day, leaving all the washes running with chocolate milk.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-28W.jpg

E.T. Wolverton’s old boiler at Big Water

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-36W.jpg

The drive out to Millard is long and bumpy, but very scenic. I enjoyed it, but I don’t think my travelling companions did as much, I think it was more of just a long day of driving for them. But, I was loving every second of it myself.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-54W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-103W.jpg

Buttes of the Cross

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-77W.jpg

- DAA

DAA

A big washout right before the campsite at Millard prevented us from enjoying the very nice site under a cottonwood that exists there. Instead, we setup camp on a small bench above the river. And in what would prove a general theme for the trip, the weather cooperated in that the rain subsided long enough for us to setup camp and eat dinner without getting wet.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-86W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-89W.jpg

Although I slept through almost all of it and can only go by what I was told, it rained off and on throughout the night until about 5AM, when suddenly it turned into a 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July celebration. I awoke to nearly constant booming of thunder and flashing of lightning. Lightning was flashing so intense that I honestly thought I could feel the heat from each flash inside the tent. The wind was blowing ferociously too, talking about it the next day, we all figured it must have been sustained wind of about 40MPH with gusts up closer to 70 MPH. Each individual wind driven rain drop hitting the tent sounded like a firecracker going off – and they were hitting the tent at about a hundred or more per second. Then big hail stones started hitting the tent, along with the constant ground rumbling of the thunder and light show of the lightning, it was totally like being too close to the grand finale of a fireworks display.

My little Mountain Hardwear tent is pretty bomber though, so Logan and I were staying dry at least. And I had no fear of the tent coming down. Pete had started the night sleeping out in the back of his truck but had moved inside the truck before the rain got going too bad. Steve and Jenn were getting beat to crap in their Coleman tent though. The tent had collapsed early on with the big wind, and Steve was holding it up as the wind was driving rain right through the sides like they were not even there, getting both of them and all their gear soaked. That’s about when, a folding table came sailing along on the wind and whammed Jenn right in the head – giving her a nice goose egg. All in all, they had a pretty miserable couple hours there. Meanwhile, I thought it was just neater than heck! I love violent weather… But I drifted back off to sleep even as the storm intensified. Steve said that while they were trying to get their tent back up during a brief lull in the storm they could hear me snoring peacefully from inside my tent… I’ve said it many times, but it’s just so true, rain on a tent is totally hypnotic to me, I just can’t stay awake with rain hitting the tent.

The wind let up and the rain stopped just in time to get up, make breakfast and strike camp. Then we were off on a long backtrack, to get to our camp for the second and third nights at the Dollhouse.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-107W.jpg

Although the rain would return, it did let up often enough to allow us to do some hiking too. So Logan, Pete and I walked to look at this neat BCS style picto panel.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-148W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-140W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-146W.jpg

- DAA

DAA

We had our only real trouble for the whole trip this morning too, when Steve got a ripped sidewall on one of his rear tires.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-401W.jpg

We got it changed and were back on our way in no time at all though. Eventually, we arrived in the Land of Standing Rocks and our camp for the next two nights at the Dollhouse.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-159W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-211W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-217W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-235W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-258W.jpg

Steve’s campfire in a can was most welcome on this somewhat chilly, damp trip!
20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-261W.jpg

We spent both evenings in camp after dark sitting around the campfire BS’ing and enjoying the company. Since wood fires aren’t allowed anywhere in the Maze, the campfire in a can was GREAT to have at the Dollhouse.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-262W.jpg

On Saturday, me, Pete and Logan took a hike out past Beehive arch for a ways along the confluence trail, taking some time just to explore up an unnamed side canyon, which was a lot of fun.

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-200W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-188W.jpg

- DAA

DAA

Sunday morning came all too soon! Time to pack up and go home. Boo… And of course, as we had all been predicting for days, the weather on Sunday was absolutely glorious! Clear blue sky and warm sunshine. Ah well, all good things must come to an end I suppose. But, not before one more hike to look at cool rock art!

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-328W_stitch2W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-291W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-297W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-298W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-299W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-301W.jpg

20150514_The%20Maze_Camping-305W.jpg

- DAA

Troop92

Awesome. Such amazing scenery within reach. I need to start a list of places to hit and begin checking them off. This definitely makes the list.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I love that camp spot on your second day. Do you have a gps to it or how to find it? Could a full size SUV or truck get through this area?

DAA

I love that camp spot on your second day. Do you have a gps to it or how to find it? Could a full size SUV or truck get through this area?

It's Dollhouse #1, shown on all the official park service maps - and the only road in the area goes straight to it. Just google "Maze district dollhouse" and you'll find it. There are three campsites at the Dollhouse and they are all good, but I for sure like #1 the best. You do need to reserve it in advance to be sure you'll have it when you want it though.

Definitely, on the full size. I've seen all kinds of full size rigs in there. We had a Dodge quad cab CTD down there last year. Let me see if I can find a picture of that... Here's one:

20140317_The%20Maze_Camping-817W.jpg

- DAA

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
That's a trip to be jealous of Dave, thanks for sharing! I've been meaning to get into the Dollhouse for a long time, but still haven't made it yet. Great photos as always!

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
"The answer was just basically not to try them or we would die. Soooo, we proceeded to the switchbacks"

Love it!

CobraNutt

Lightning was flashing so intense ........along with the constant ground rumbling of the thunder and light show of the lightning, it was totally like being too close to the grand finale of a fireworks display.
...Yet I don't seem to see any pictures or video of said events...how disappointing. LOL! :p

Good stuff Dave! Love your trip reports and pics! :thumbs: