The new 1984 IT490 build thread...

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Looks awesome! :cool: I like how it's been in the family since new pretty cool if you ask me.

If you haven't already I'd recommend using loc-tite, nyloc nuts or safety wire (where applicable) on everything. Something about the big bore 2T's when it comes to plastics, suspension, exhaust hangers--it doesn't matter what it is if it has threads it will vibrate loose at some point :ugh: :D

Vonski

nothing to see here...
If you haven't already I'd recommend using loc-tite, nyloc nuts or safety wire (where applicable) on everything. Something about the big bore 2T's when it comes to plastics, suspension, exhaust hangers--it doesn't matter what it is if it has threads it will vibrate loose at some point :ugh: :D

Yep, we've been using plenty of blue Loctite on this thing. With the kickstand down and idling, it vibrates itself across the driveway until it runs out of cement.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Got more parts in the way of a Motion Pro clutch cable and a Factory Connection shock spring (yellow, of course). Still hoping to find a used Nissin front brake perch/master cyl./hose setup if anyone has one for sale. Hoping to find something local.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
On these older shock bodies, the OD is not threaded. Instead, they have a couple snap-ring grooves to accomplish the same thing, but with much less adjustability. Now that I have the new spring and correct rate, I can't achieve the right race sag/ride height without machining additional snap-ring grooves in the body. Looks like some lathe work is in order.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
FWIW, here's the bare shock body with the 3 stock snap-ring grooves. Kinda scrawny by todays standards, but will get the job done. Too bad it was recently rebuilt (wasted oil and nitrogen).

Attachments

• IT490u.jpg
    IT490u.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 12

rholbrook

I was looking at the 490 and couldnt help but notice the size of the rear hub. It would be interesting to see what the weight difference was between the 490's rear wheel and your 300's rear wheel.
Have you put the whole bike on the scale yet?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I was looking at the 490 and couldnt help but notice the size of the rear hub. It would be interesting to see what the weight difference was between the 490's rear wheel and your 300's rear wheel.
Have you put the whole bike on the scale yet?

Sorry man, I've been dropping the ball on weighing stuff. I will definitely get the bike on a scale once fully assembled. Next time I've got the rear wheel off, I'll weigh that too (as I'm curious now how it compares to a modern wheelset).

Vonski

nothing to see here...
A big thanks to Carl for the use of his lathe. :greg: 1 groove would've been good enough, but I cut a couple more for good measure.

Attachments

• IT490v.jpg
    IT490v.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 17

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Threw the new clutch cable on yesterday and the clutch pull certainly won't require 4 fingers now, but I'm kicking myself for not getting a new return spring. I should have known a 30 year old return spring probably wouldn't be very functional.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
and back on track...

Rear shock reassembled, oil added, and charged with nitrogen. As mentioned before, (for early '80s technology) I'm pretty impressed with the shock. The remote reservoir doesn't have a modern schrader valve and the comp. and rebound can only be adjusted in equal amounts, but the fact that it has a remote res. and has the range of adjustment it does is impressive. Of course, it will get swapped out in favor of a modern shock if it gives us any trouble. :D

Attachments

• IT490w.jpg
    IT490w.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 13

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Threw the shock back on yesterday. Since the linkage and angle of the shock is quite a bit different than a modern bike, sag cannot be dialed-in using common numbers, so we'll just have to wing it for now and adjust as needed. I settled on a 5.4 rate spring, and although its a HUGE improvement over the ridiculously soft stock 4.0, I still might have to go a bit heavier.

Attachments

• IT490x.jpg
    IT490x.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 19

rholbrook

I saw an IT175 in the back of a truck in Bountiful this afternoon. I was at the top of 4th North where it comes down from the "B". My friends dad bought one of them new when we were kids and it was so much fun to ride. It was such a huge difference from my YZ80