The PAVEMENT thread: Cars, Racing, Drives, Speed...

lhracing

Caleb and biznnp thanks for the complements. The car is my favorite, it is just a lot of fun to drive and it still puts a smile on my face :)

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Had way too much fun with my '71 SS Camaro back in the day... lots of illegal street drag racing. I got a few tickets, lost my license for a year and had high risk insurance for 3 years. I built the 400 HP 355 CID engine in my garage, it was a great experience.

I always had a desire to get into more road racing with the car... drop it down a little, run some heavy springs, Z-rated 17" tires & wheels, big anti-sway bars and a 6 speed transmission and a healthy 450+ HP engine. Really liking the idea of a GM 6.0l and a 6 speed with 3.55-3.73 gears.

I'm pretty sure I know what my mid-life crisis project will be... ;)

lhracing

Had way too much fun with my '71 SS Camaro back in the say... lots of illegal street drag racing. I got a few tickets, lost my license for a year and had high risk insurance for 3 years. I built the 400 HP 355 CID engine in my garage, it was a great experience.

I always had a desire to get into more road racing with the car... drop it down a little, run some heavy springs, Z-rated 17" tires & wheels, big anti-sway bars and a 6 speed transmission and a healthy 450+ HP engine. Really liking the idea of a GM 6.0l and a 6 speed with 3.55-3.73 gears.

I'm pretty sure I know what my mid-life crisis project will be... ;)
My "mid-life crisis" hit a number of years ago, adrenalin is very addicting. The Camaro is about as low as you can get one, rides like tank because of the way it is sprung. I ran mostly open road racing in the 120 class which may not seem all that fast until you try to average that for a 100 miles on a 2 lane highway.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

How often are these autocross races? Are they organized with points leaders and prizes or just for fun?

First event FAQ:
http://forums.utahscca.com/showthread.php?t=7577

2013 season:

3/9 Saturday St. George Airport
3/10 Sunday St. George Airport
3/23 Saturday MMP WEST
3/24 Sunday MMP WEST
3/30 San Diego Championship Tour
3/31 San Diego Championship Tour
4/6 El Toro ProSolo
4/7 El Toro ProSolo
4/13 Saturday MMP WEST
4/14 Sunday MMP MIDWAY
5/5 Sunday Maverick Center
5/24 Lincoln Spring Nationals ProSolo
5/25 Lincoln Spring Nationals ProSolo
5/26 Lincoln Spring Nationals Championship Tour
5/27 Lincoln Spring Nationals Championship Tour
5/27 Monday Memorial Day Maverick Center
6/15 Saturday MMP MIDWAY
6/16 Sunday MMP WEST
6/22 Fountain Colorado Match Tour
6/23 Fountain Colorado Match Tour
6/29 Farmington ProSolo
6/30 Farmington ProSolo
7/6 Saturday Maverick Center (CANCELLED DUE TO RE-PAVING)
7/7 Sunday Maverick Center (CANCELLED DUE TO RE-PAVING)
7/13 Packwood Championship Tour
7/14 Packwood Championship Tour
7/20 Packwood ProSolo
7/21 Packwood ProSolo
7/28 Sunday RMR RACE WAY
8/10 Saturday GREAT SALT RACE
8/11 Sunday GREAT SALT RACE
8/18 Sunday UTAH FAIR PARK
8/31-9/1 ProSolo Finale
9/2-9/6 Solo Nationals
9/2 Monday Labor Day Maverick Center
9/21 Saturday RMR RACE WAY
9/22 Sunday RMR RACE WAY
10/12 Saturday MMP WEST
10/13 Sunday MMP MIDWAY
10/26 Saturday St. George Match Tour (CANCELLED BY SCCA)
10/27 Sunday St. George Match Tour (CANCELLED BY SCCA)

Yes, they are organized with points leaders. It's a nation-wide thing, with sponsors and all that. Here's a mini documentary of what Autocross is like:

[video=youtube;bkdyrd3QXT0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkdyrd3QXT0[/video]

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I was always partial to drag racing, too. Here is the reason for my screen name:

launch.jpg

I bracket raced it in RMR's Street Legal Heavy class for five years. It began bone stock, turning lowly 18-sec ETs... but after some weight loss and a few bolt-on modifications--plus a lot more boost--I got it to run consistent 13.5s. Not bad for a FWD automatic box on wheels.

sixstringsteve

Great pic Stephen! Thanks for joining us.

It was a fantastic drive. Probably my favorite drive in Utah. It was fun and twisty, awesome scenery, and not crowded at all.

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

Stephen's Miata is WAY WAY cleaner than mine.

IMG_4639.JPG

IMG_4641.JPG

IMG_4705%2520Stitch.jpg

Stephen ended up playing Cattle Driver most of the night.

IMG_4650.JPG

IMG_4653.JPG

IMG_4614%2520Stitch%2520%25282%2529.jpg

We had an outstanding view of Utah Lake.

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_4681.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_4695.JPG

I can't wait to get back. Thanks for joining us Stephen.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Here's my other (first?) hobby

It's a 1991 CRX Si with a B20VTEC, built top end with stock bottom end. Such a fun car to drive

Dunno how familiar you guys are with Honda motors but basically it's a CRV block with a B16A JDM VTEC head using Crower valvetrain and JDM Type-R camshafts.

560799_10151170608388773_1699851178_n.jpg

5500_119777228772_4854627_n.jpg

198969_10150147501173773_170681_n.jpg

46569_429325728772_1860012_n.jpg

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
If in real life I were to buy a road car it would be a modded VW Golf with a turbo'ed VR6. If in pretend life I would get a twin-turbo'ed Supra, or skyline.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I always had a weak spot for a clean CRX, drove my brother's HX on occasion back in the day before folks started ricing them out, even slept in it once. After that I had a buddy when I was stationed in Germany that had an Si done up by HondaSport and it handled really well, also had 4 JL Audio 10in subs in the back that won him a few trophies. I had owned a 91 Stealth and a 96 Talon in the 90's and had fun with them. But then I worked for Mazda back in 2001 and fell in love with the Miata, one of the best cars ever built using technology only found in cars costing much more. 5 Miatas later and the rest is history. Many fun dates were had over the years in them, my wife and I had our first date driving around half the night when I first asked her out, even took a road trip to Maine and back in it before we got married. If you can survive a road trip with your future spouse in a car this small you can pretty much do anything, because that was an adventure in communication!

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
I had a t60-1 turbo setup in my CRX back in the day, like 2005'ish :D I'll have to dig up pictures of that one tomorrow.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
If in real life I were to buy a road car it would be a modded VW Golf with a turbo'ed VR6. If in pretend life I would get a twin-turbo'ed Supra, or skyline.

I've wanted a twinturbo MarkIV ever since the first Gran Turismo came out :D. I'd settle for a FR-S though.