The Proud American comes to Utah!

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
Little bit of a shameless plug here, but I'm super exited about the addition of this awesome Vietnam gun truck to our non-profits collection and have it be available here in Utah. Up until now there haven't been any gun trucks here for the the public to see and to share the story of the brave young men who built and crewed them in Vietnam. Here is a little bit of the history of the Proud American, and a few pics of her. I'll add a link to the full press release and our website as well. Her official unveiling will be during our military outpost event at the Freedom Festival, but we are working on a welcome party of sorts for when she arrives. I'll update with that info when I have it.

History of Proud American

On February 20, 1971 the remaining crew of the recently destroyed Satan’s Lil’ Angel were asked to build a new security support vehicle (aka gun truck) by the commander of the 523rd Transportation Company; Captain Donald Voightritter (Captain V). Within 20 days SP4 Robert Thorne (driver) and Calvin Bennet (first gunner) with help from the 523rd motor pool built a new truck using the remnants of the Lil’ Angel and filled out the crew by adding SP4 “Mac” McDonald (second gunner) and SP5 Nelson Allen as NCO in charge . This new truck was outfitted with a steel plate gun box and cab and was armed with an M60 along with two .50 caliber M2HB machine guns and was named The Proud American.

March 12, 1971 the Proud American went into active service providing security for a convoy leaving Vandergrift Combat Base even though previous convoys that day had received fire. The crew of Proud American knew that they were responsible for protecting the convoy and that they would be taking live fire on this trip. On board Proud American were the crew, the convoy commander 1Lt James Baird, Captain V and several men from the 523rd.

Shortly after leaving Vandergrift FSB Proud American was the first vehicle to be targeted by an ambush. A B-40 rocket propelled grenade hit the truck between the gun box and driver side door mortally wounding Thorne the driver, but not before he drove the truck into an embankment saving the lives of everyone else on the truck but avoiding the steep ravine on the other side. Baird who was on the radio at the time of the attack was badly injured eventually losing his arm, and McDonald received wounds to his face. Callahan got Baird on a stretcher and 1Lt Ralph Fuller from the Daughter of Darkness gun truck called in a Medivac, using his gun truck to transport Baird to a better location, Baird was air lifted back to Vandergrift.

After the battle SP4 Robert W. Thorne was removed from the truck and was taken to Vandergrift on the gun truck Black Widow. Thorne was from Denver, Colorado and will always be 20 years old.

Freedom Vehicles Association will continue to tell the story of Robert Thorne and all who served defending freedom in Vietnam and all other 20th century conflicts.

Below are pics of the Proud American now, and the original before and after the fateful ambush in VN.

http://www.freedomvehicles.org/proud-american/

gatheringixlouisvilleky010.jpg476-proud-american-12-mar-71-ambush.jpg

Attachments

• 20170524_105450.jpg
    20170524_105450.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20170524_105442.jpg
    20170524_105442.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
  • 20170524_105502-1.jpg
    20170524_105502-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • proud-american-front.jpg
    proud-american-front.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 34
  • proud-american-side-5-jan-04.jpg
    proud-american-side-5-jan-04.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 33

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
Thanks for the comments guys, it really is an honor to have her join our stable. I'm really looking forward to having her out to a lot of events this summer and getting the story out in the community. I hope that you will all come to the Freedom Festival event with your families and friends and see her first hand. We are also looking for volunteers and sponsors to help out always so if this seems like something you'd like to be a part of then hit me up and I'll get you involved.

RogueJeepr

Here!
So cool, love it. Thanks for sharing the story.
I wouldn't mind volunteering some time if there's any future builds going on.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Magerdgr

Have gun, will travel
We have lots of current and future builds going ranging from jeeps to WWII armor. Everything from general maintenance (seems to be never ending) to full restorations. We also need volunteers to help build props and scenery for displays, as well as set up/take down at the Freedom Fest, manning event activities, etc. At the Freedom Fest display this year we plan to have a motor pool area detailing how maintenance and rebuilds would have been accomplished in the field and doing work on vehicles depending on what donations and volunteers we can get. Anything helps, and is appreciated.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I love hearing the stories of the guys that ran those trucks in all flavors. I had the pleasure of knowing a gent years ago that was a gunner on a truck with an M45 quad 50 cal mount. I was working where there were modified M45 mounts used for tracking aircraft, not shooting them. So knowing some history of the old M45 mounts was very interesting. I was a very tight squeeze in the seat of that tracking system...