The reason a good cage is worth the $

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
My statements would be the same regardless of who it is. Hate to see people risk serious injury like that. I do not deny my turkey-ness. ;)

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
:eating popcorn:

It's fun watching two guys, both of whom are experienced rockcrawlers, both try to say basically the same thing (I think) but sorta cross paths and start insulting each other. 'Specially when I know who both of them are, but neither of them know the other. :rofl:

Edit: I watched the vid....the guy would have had to be quick on the reverse to pull out of it, simply coasting back may or may not have done the job. Either way, the cage did mostly nothing, and he's lucky about his leg.

I do faintly remember the feeling of wanting to stop rolling with my arms or legs, but that "instinct" went away really fast.

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I Lean said:
I do faintly remember the feeling of wanting to stop rolling with my arms or legs, but that "instinct" went away really fast.
Exactly. It is an instinct for someone who is new to flopping. Especially when you have a doorless rig. With practice, you learn to ignore it.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
wow thats a weird roll, its kinda a unexpected one. it looks a lot like the roll i did with my cruiser cept my windsheild frame held up better than that cage

grinch

inner city redneck
I got side swiped and rolled my old yj with one of those bolt on kits around 5 years ago and it was bad.... I was ejected 40' from my vehicle(I know wear a seat belt) but getting tossed was the only thing that saved my life. I had the stock spreader bar the the kit bolts into break and impale my seat where my chest should have been....
Lesson learnd was that if your going to do a cage make sure its safe... after seeing the hole in my seat a few weeks after the accident it sent chills through my spine.

kirk86CJ

I think the guy quickly realized he should have his leg out there and got it back in the jeep before hitting. I was at Discount Tire on Friday getting the tires balanced on my jeep. Some guy was out there looking at my cage, then came in and talked. We talked about cages and I brought up this video. He laughed and asked me if I saw him standing at the top of the hill (in the video)

He said it also pushed the rear of the cage in because there was no spreader accross the back.

Putting the leg out was my first reaction last trip to moab. I started to tip coming down the Moab rim. I stopped it with my leg. It obviously would have been a soft roll. After, I thought that wasn't very smart. I won't do it again.

It amazes me that you guys that compete have the presence of mind to put it in reverse to avoid a roll. I freeze. I guess you have to play it in your mind.

Its just like people who fall asleep, drift off the road, then wake up, overcorrect, roll, and die. I've told myself if I ever get in that situation, I will not do that, but who knows what would really happen.

S

sukaB

Putting the leg out was my first reaction last trip to moab. I started to tip coming down the Moab rim. I stopped it with my leg. It obviously would have been a soft roll. After, I thought that wasn't very smart. I won't do it again.

I think in these instances practice makes perfect, I used to be so scared along time ago about freaking and losing a limb and now you will never see me with anything outside ever....Just to many trips over I think....
I was very impressed with my own ability after that 65 mph,Lap belt only,
5 time endo in delta :eek:
I'm lucky to be typing right now....
The reverse thing also comes with practice or just getting tired of flipping it back over so you have to figure out how to save it...

zman

Here's your popcorn.

We'll, I'm the idiot some of you refer to.

Of course, from the way it sounds, some of you have never made mistakes and are probably pros at everything.

First off, this was my second or third attempt, the first two I successfully rolled back down the hill with clutch in. This last attempt my engine stalled, between the low gearing stopping me and probably initially hitting the brake the Jeep would no longer roll back down the hill when I took my foot off the brake and pressed on the clutch. I remember telling myself, why won't I roll back. As I started to roll I put my leg out hoping to rest it on a rock (never rolled before I could not believe that I was going to now) and after I realized I was going to roll (and there was no rock) I brought my leg back in and laid my body in towards the center of the jeep. Came out with no scratches. Granted, putting my leg out was a stupid thing to do, it's just instinct. Now that I have my first roll out of the way I think I will have a better understanding if it were to happen again. The ORFab cage was a total loss and has been replaced with a cage that is mounted to the frame up front. I will be getting the rear redone and tied into the frame in the near future.

I posted my video on the web so that others can learn from my mishap. Please note that I was wearing a seatbelt at the time and that I consider that a major factor in preventing anything worse from happening.

zman

PS The guy spotting me is Jim ? from the SLC area.

Last edited:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Cool, thanks for the response zman. I think it is good to get your story out there. Did you talk to ORFab about the failure? If I were then I would want to see where it broke and why it broke and make it better for the next guy.

In your opinion was the ORFab good to have ( like it saved your life ) or bad to have ( like it gave you a false sense of safety )?

My last trip to Moab I had a passenger stick a leg out of the side while going over tip over challenge. It leaned a little, but enough go over, but she panicked and the foot went out. It was one of those events where everything in your mind is in slow motion and you remember all of the details. That scared me because as a driver I had no way to get that stray leg back inside. It felt like the leg was out for a minutes, but in realality it was probably like yours where in was out and in within a flash.

zman

Please keep in mind that my trail difficulty runs increased over the years, the cage was put in back when I did much more mild stuff.

I decided not to contact ORFab. There instructions clearly state that it is not a protective device (even though it looks like one) I my opinion, I though it was about as good as the stock windshield and wanted something cheap. After seeing a buddy roll last year with his stock cage (full 360 and it held up quite well) he ended up needing a new windsheild, frame and his stock bar was tweeked, but not as much as mine. So IMO, the ORFab is a step down from the stock setup from what I have experienced. I am sure ORFab is aware of my video, this stuff spreads fast and if they want to see it, they can contact me. My guess is that they will not contact me in fear of law suit. I have no one to blame for this roll but myself, my spotter is also not responsible, and I made that clear to him.

I would never get a cage like this again. It costed me $350, and after the roll I had a frame mounted cage attached to it its spot for $400, of course I had to provide the rattlecan spray paint. So for $50 more I got a cage that is 10x better (well ok, it costed me $750 in the end). Now I still have the tweeked stock rear cage, it will be replaced in the near future. As many have already said, nothing beats a roll cage that is properly made. If anyone is considering getting a bolt in cage, contact your local 4x4 shop and ask what a cage would cost to be welded to the stock cage and frame, for a few extra $ you can get a much better system. Of course a full cutom cage is the best route.

zman

Last edited: