For Sale - Best Offer the runnerup

krany

kranberry
thinking of selling or trading my runnerup. it started its life as a 84 toyota ex cab pickup and had the back half of a 4runner chopped in. you get the wb of a longbed p/u and about a foot and a half more leg room in the back.
the build thread is here; http://rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=82195
i really need to get a truck so i can haul my bike, taking the top off and lifting the bike into this bo-he-meth isnt very practical:rofl: trades are welcome

here is the run down on all that it has
84 toyota pick up/ 4runner
22r motor with ~12k on rebuild truck has ~181k miles total
manual trans with new clutch
stock tcase
5:29 gears
4" suspension lift with a 2" body lift
35x12.50r15s with mag wheels. mtr spare on new black steel wheel
cobra cb with dual antennas
rock lights front and rear.
has 4 lights wired and ready for the front just need tabs
switch panel
1k watt power inverter in the back
jvc radio with clarion sub and( forgot name) 900 watt amp< sounds great
trail gear stinger front bumper
custom rear bumper
brand new exhaust
stock push pull steering
corolla bucket seats
rock sliders
removable mudflaps
passes saftey and i/,

i can go on and on about things about this truck but those are just the major things

and now the bad:-\
the marker lights and dash lights just stopped working and pops the fuses instantly( i can get this fixed)
the front axle seals do leak a bit
rear gears have a slight whir to them
may have an eaust leak at the headers
paints not the greatest and does have some trail scars and rocky mountain pin striping
needs some trunnion bearings, or even better yet some trunnion bearing eliminatorsthe right rear tire has 2 screws in it( been to lazy to fix it spare is currently on)

i have a newer red 4runner top thats about to get painted that will go with it along with bunch of other parts for it.
iam asking 3600 obo, i am open to trades. hell it could be a jeep and a trailer for my bike even.
my number is 801-473-1281

2011-07-23123222.jpg

dumassaim

thinking of selling or trading my runnerup. it started its life as a 84 toyota ex cab pickup and had the back half of a 4runner chopped in. you get the wb of a longbed p/u and about a foot and a half more leg room in the back.
the build thread is here; http://rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=82195
i really need to get a truck so i can haul my bike, taking the top off and lifting the bike into this bo-he-meth isnt very practical:rofl: trades are welcome

here is the run down on all that it has
84 toyota pick up/ 4runner
22r motor with ~12k on rebuild truck has ~181k miles total
manual trans with new clutch
stock tcase
5:29 gears
4" suspension lift with a 2" body lift
35x12.50r15s with mag wheels. mtr spare on new black steel wheel
cobra cb with dual antennas
rock lights front and rear.
has 4 lights wired and ready for the front just need tabs
switch panel
1k watt power inverter in the back
jvc radio with clarion sub and( forgot name) 900 watt amp< sounds great
trail gear stinger front bumper
custom rear bumper
brand new exhaust
stock push pull steering
corolla bucket seats
rock sliders
removable mudflaps
passes saftey and i/,

i can go on and on about things about this truck but those are just the major things

and now the bad:-\
the marker lights and dash lights just stopped working and pops the fuses instantly( i can get this fixed)
the front axle seals do leak a bit
rear gears have a slight whir to them
may have an eaust leak at the headers
paints not the greatest and does have some trail scars and rocky mountain pin striping
needs some trunnion bearings, or even better yet some trunnion bearing eliminatorsthe right rear tire has 2 screws in it( been to lazy to fix it spare is currently on)

i have a newer red 4runner top thats about to get painted that will go with it along with bunch of other parts for it.
iam asking 3600 obo, i am open to trades. hell it could be a jeep and a trailer for my bike even.
my number is 801-473-1281

2011-07-23123222.jpg

So how much for this fine runner ?

sixstringsteve

just get one of those hitch-mounted bike carriers. THat's what Kurt and I are rocking. I paid $100 for mine on KSL. It just slides into the receiver and holds my bike, so I don't have to take my shell off and throw it in my truck.

You're going to want the runner-up in the winter... and for camping... and for rockcrawling.

Last edited:

krany

kranberry
i also wouldn't mind something thats has a few more rodents under the hood with an auto. wheeling stick is retarded imo i miss my strait 6 and auto in my xj quite badly

sixstringsteve

I don't get why people think manuals are so hard to wheel with. Even without t-case gears it shouldn't be that tough in your rig. With 4:1 gears, I'd always choose a stick.

sixstringsteve

steve its not that it is hard its the fact that autos are smoother and not jerky at all, you can bump a obstacle and give it a little gas and let it crawl up it instead of haveing to ram it.

With stock t-case gears, autos are definitely easier to drive and smoother.

By gearing your manual super low, like every toyota guy does, your basically making it like a auto. I agree manuals are retarded for wheeling, i just wheeled the Bountiful B trail in a manual Jeep Tj and it confirmed i dont like manuals for wheeling once again

I get it that you like your rig. I even get that you think it's the best combination for any toyota: 3.0, auto, coils in the back. But the truth is, there's no magic combination that's best for everyone. We all have different preferences. You can try to argue that your rig is the best setup out there, and state your preferences, but remember that they're not for everyone. I'm glad you like your rig, that's great.

Low gears and a clutch are not basically the same as an auto. They're TOTALLY different, and your driving technique is very different. I'm not going to argue which is better. I simply think a lot of people never learn to wheel with a stick, and they automatically jump to the solution that manuals are retarded and autos are the only way to go. I've wheeled 14+ rigs in the past 6 years, half with auto and half stick. They both have their pros and cons. But to say one is vastly superior to the other just shows ignorance.

By the way, did that TJ you wheeled have a 4:1 in the t-case? If not, you have no clue what wheeling with a manual should be like. I don't care which you prefer, but without low t-case gears, you can't possibly think you've experienced a manual for crawling enough to be able to make definitive statements about them being retarded or not for wheeling. It's like saying all AWD cars suck for rallying because you drove an AWD Sienna once and it handled like a brick.

Back on topic. Bump for a cool rig that'll go a lot of places.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

because wheeling with a manual is retarded obviously, and needs of every pro rockcrawler/desert racer are the same as the weekend warriors who DD their rigs :rolleyes:

Since we're talking toyotas, I see PLENTY of manual toyota f-toys, and they crawl just fine, and win their classes, even against autos. A well-built toyota will be amazing, whether with an auto or with a manual. It all comes down to the driver. I see way more manual f-toys than autos. Does that mean manuals are better? No. It just means those drivers preferred them, or couldn't afford to swap them over.

I have my preferences, but I'm not preaching them as gospel. I like manuals, and when presented with the choice in a toyota, I'll always pick the manual. Autos are great too, just not my preference. You seem to be trying to prove that everything your rig has on it is the ideal setup for every toyota owner. I really am glad that you like your setup. I wouldn't be happy with it, that's for sure.

Last edited:

iamsparticus

Take your Rig to the Edge
steve you are always a worthy man to debate with cheers to that, yes DD wheelers have different needs and yes if you have a underpowered rig a auto is slow but i dont think either auto or manuals are really a factor in DDing but you do have a valid point

sixstringsteve

A well-built toyota with a great driver will crawl really well, regardless of the transmission.

This truck with 4.7's would be a blast to drive. Too bad Kranny and Sparticus won't be able to see how nice a manual and 4.7's are before they decide that all manuals suck. Hopefully the next owner throws some 4.7s in and wheels the snot out of this thing.

sixstringsteve

if brian ellinger can take 1st in his f-toy with a manual (against others with an auto), I think a manual is just fine for us weekend warriors.

iamsparticus

sorry for the high jack and cluter im going to delete my stuff. steve text me if you want to continue the discussion so we dont cluter up krany's thread, bump for a great rig and sale

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Toyota mini trucks = 4 cyl gutless motors.

4 cyl gutless motor + auto = Miserable HP/torque (when compared to the manual trans counterpart; which is still considered on the underpowered side)

There is a reason that most mini-truck guys will choose a manual tranny behind the 22RE, and even the 3.0 V6. The auots simply rob too much power for any 'pros' of the auto to be worth it. Sure, there may be a few exceptions to this rule but it's a very proven and widely accepted fact that the autos rob power of an already low HP powerplant.

Throw in some lower gears, and it's not bad. I loved my 22RE w/ 5.29's and 37"s. It scooted along just fine and got stellar gas mileage.

If I had the money right now I would be seriously looking into taking this rig off of your hands!

Last edited:

krany

kranberry
i perfer auto only because thats what i started wheeling on. it was a hell of allot smoother than with manual. i have stock tease gears and 5:29s its low but now low enough to be as smooth as an auto. imo manual is great for street only and when it comes to wheeling auto is the only way to go.

anyways...price is obo and iam open to trades aswell.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
I love my manual there are times wheeling when you just have to take it to the rev limiter and dump the clutch.....lol before i had a 4 to 1 I also wanted an auto but after the new lower gears im gonna stick with the manual

sixstringsteve

Take it from people with experience who have tried a variety of different setups. You can't judge the 5-speed 'till you've tried it with lower t-case gears. It's an entirely different experience. You still may prefer the auto, but you can't judge the manual 'till you try it the way it's intended to be used.

A manual wasn't meant to be crawled at 1/2 mph and 500 RPM with stock gear ratios. An auto can fake it since it can slip a lot more. You say "wheeling auto is the only way to go" when you've only driven one rig that was a manual, and it wasn't set up right. That's like saying "leafs are the only way to go, because I've wheeled an aerostar with coils, and it didn't flex worth crap." Your limited experience isn't enough to make an accurate definitive statement.

Somebody buy this, put 4.7's in it, and show Kranny what he's been missing :D

iamsparticus

steve your taking this way way to personal why do you care if people say they dont like manuals? Have you ever wheeled a auto with a geared down case? I did in st george and it was amazing, as is a manual with 4.7's. Point being your getting your underwear in a bundle over nothing, either one is great with 4.7 geared t-case. Unless you have a 80hp zuk motor then you need 6 to 1 gears:)

Last edited:

Coco

Guys c'mon, this is a for sale ad, have a little respect for the seller, and keep it on subject. Stop pestering each other. Some like autos, some manuals. To each his own. Let's keep it on topic :)

Bump for a sweet, very one of a kind truck.

sixstringsteve

My apologies for getting it off track Kranny. Bump for a very unique rig. The conversion is really clean. it's got a lot more leg room and interior room than your typical 4runner. I really like the concept, and I think it was well done.