The sami is under the knife.........

jp008

I thought I would share some pics of the sami getting some new legs. Waggy 44's :D I will be extending the wheelbase, installing ram assist steering and possibly a few other items if the time permits. My funds are very low and this could take right up until EJS before it is done.

I will post pics and update the progress as things come about.

Greg, I like the attachment set up.

Last edited:

jp008

Sticking with the leafs. I'm using YJ's up front and XJ's in the rear. I prefer leafs over coils. I do not need 4' of flex, I just need enough to have fun. Tomorrow I will be finishing my spring hangers and frame extension. I may begin on my shackle hangers if time allows. (I hate grinding :mad: )

Like I said the funds are low, so 95% of what I'm installing I have to fab. This is another reason it will be taking longer than I would like. Not to mention ALL the room I have to work in :rolleyes:

I can't wait to get it out and start beating on it again.

Last edited:

bb88

New Title
that's not your garage!!!!!! where are you working on it???? WWWWWAAAAAYYYY too clean~~~~~(like I got room to talk) :D I can't wait to see it done!!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
let us know how the front stretch is. I have been thinking on the rear stretch would be a little easier but the power steering box has always been a bit of a worry to me.

Why did you choose the front stretch over the rear....my tinker zuk is stretched to 100" wheelbase in the rear...what are you going to net with the front stretch given that stock wheelbase is 79.9??

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Looks good i'm hoping to get to about 90" with just my springs. I'm already at 86". I'm just getting my D44 ready to swap in. Good luck.

jp008

spencurai said:
let us know how the front stretch is. I have been thinking on the rear stretch would be a little easier but the power steering box has always been a bit of a worry to me.

Why did you choose the front stretch over the rear....my tinker zuk is stretched to 100" wheelbase in the rear...what are you going to net with the front stretch given that stock wheelbase is 79.9??

I like the look of the front stretch alot better than a rear. As far as the steering box, not a problem. I will probably end up using a Scout box. The pitman arm points to the front, therefore your steering issues are taken care of. I have finished the stretch. Including the front bumper the frame is now 10" longer. I will post pics tomorrow night. As far as I can tell right now the front springs are going to be outboard from stock 1.5" per side.

The rear axle will be moved as well. I may end up having to go a couple of inches out back of the frame but I will not know until I get to that point.

Last edited:

jp008

More progress...

I got the frame extension and the spring hangers done tonight. I have done some plating to the inside of the frame. Plating will also be installed on the outside of the frame rail, probably tomorrow, along with gusseting on the spring hanger. Here are some more pics. Next is to make the shackle hangers and get them installed. I expect this to take a few days, I still have quite a bit of grinding (clean up) to do where the old spring hangers were cut off the frame. Have I mentioned I HATE grinding?????????

Last edited:

jp008

One thing I have yet to do is Thank everyone for the kind words and the encouragement they have given me. It really make the job go easier when people "seem" to appreciate the work the one puts into their rig. Even if all it does is sit in the garage....................right Jeremy? :rofl: :p

jp008

And the springs..............

were hung under the sami with care in hopes that St. rock-crawlaus soon would be there.

I finished the shackle hangers and did some clean-up grinding on the axle tonight. I will be picking up my power steering box tomorrow and will be doing a test fit. Once I get the steering box in place I will apply a fresh coat of paint to the frame.

Here are a couple of pics.

jp008

Scout steering box fit.

I got the Scout steering box and cleaned it up. There must have been 2" of sh!t on there. I cut the inner fender and made a brace for the frame. I made the brace sit a little taller in the rear so it points to the steering column. My next plan of attack is to get a hole saw and some sleeves to mount the box into place. The pitman arm sits right where I need it.

I also let the sami sit it's weight on the suspension to see where it would sit. At this point it sits 1" taller than it did when I first started this project. 35's will fit comfortably and 37's need a little more trimming on the body. I'm still trying to decide what size tire to run.

Here are some more pics.

Last edited:

BryansToy

Toy Beater
Sweet

Cool Looks great! I watched the old setup go up Rattle Snake and I can't wait to see the new setup in action. You and your friends showed me and my friend how to wheel after the Sept. cleanup and just wanted to say thank again and keep up the good work. Also which guy had the four door setup? I have a few more questions? Thanks

jp008

I put the wheels on today and pushed it outside so I could do some garage clean up. Here is the front almost finished. The axle is pushed forward 5".