The Sinking of the Sami...aka Kane Creek Icebustin'

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Well, as you all have probably noticed, there’s not been much wheeling action going on in Moab lately. The cold temperatures and snowy weather have kept us all indoors and we have cabin fever. So, it was time to try our annual tradition of the day after Christmas Kane Creek trail.

Last year was really cold and today was expected to be no different. A suggestion was made to wait until 10:00 am and it was a really good one. On waking this morning, the old weather station here at the house read a balmy 6 degrees. Oh goody! But, by the time we left it was around 20, no wind, and sunshine. At the cinema were the rest of the die-hards: Jeff, Jim, Rick, Larry. Gary and I made for 6 rigs.

By the time we got to the trail head, it was a really nice day. A good set of insulated ski pants or Carharts along with the heaters that most of us had, left us feeling toasty and in a great mood, ready for trail action. Well, anytime you mix up snow, slickrock, and our group, there’s bound to be SOMETHING.

Redroxx led the way and since it’d been a year since we’ve been on this end of the trail, I forgot how narrow that shelf road is for full width axles. Add in the snow and past wash outs and well, you don’t have to tell me twice to watch the road. This first off-camber wash-out had me out of the Jeep and asking for a spot. Rick makes it look easy though.

This option is always fun polished up with snow. Larry’s not afraid of the skinny pedal though and he came right on up.

Now we move on to the creek portion, this trail’s name sake. Kane Creek trail crosses Kane Creek dozens of times depending on water level and the changing trail. We really enjoyed ice busting last year, which is why Redroxx is in the lead. I’m supposed to fall through and be an ice breaker….ha!

As we started over the first of the crossings, the creek was so frozen that we barely crunched the surface and I was listening to the Ipod, enjoying the day. After a sunny stop for lunch, yes this time I learned my lesson and we stopped in the sun, we came to a rather deep section of the creek.

Redroxx started breaking through the ice and was stopped about halfway across the creek. I backed her up and jammed her forward and after a wild ride we made it up and over. Whee! This left a difficult situation for those behind me. The ice was mostly broken but there was a large shelf just before the climb out which was well….pictures speak a thousand words…..

Stuck? Stuck! Don’t leave me Ralphy! Okay, we’ll tug you out Gary Lee. This is obviously the part about the sinking Samurai but we had him high and dry in no time. No damage done except the being rescued part hurting the old pride.

Now its Rick’s turn. Give her a good run RokDawg!

Nice bow wave. Keep your speed up!

Oh no! Iceburg, iceburg. Abort! Abort! (think alarms sounding, all hands on deck, that type of thing) Can you see the giant piece of ice just in front of Rick’s Jeep?

Uh-oh. That Jeep ain’t goin’ no-where! We’re gonna need a Navy Seal rescue. Jim, you’re a retired Navy man. Unplug your battery operated mittens and get over here! What’s that? I think he said to sound the bell (it sounded a bit like go to hell!)

Well, after the bells and all the fuss, Rick was also out of the creek but what’s that he brought with him?

It’s the iceburg! That’s one big Jeep breaker but in fact Rick turned on his lockers and broke it while driving up and over. I was hoping that Jim had brought his chain saw so we could make an ice sculpture and have some cool beverages. Jim, did you bring one? No, I guess not…..he just keeps telling me to sound the bell….weird.

Next it was up and over Hamburger Hill. No bells here though Jim did have a big wheel lift that he refused to let me capture on camera. Most of us were looking forward to this fun wall and everyone who tried it, made it. A little ice adds to the adventure.

Everyone proceeded along the cliff road keeping an eye out for icy spots. We were off the trail shortly after 2:00pm. After a month of no wheelin’, I can say it truly was a super day.
Thanks all and see ya on the trail. Wanna Jeep in Moab? Check out the schedule at http://webejeepinmoab.com

Melissa :hickey: