The temptation is strong with this one...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
http://westslope.craigslist.org/mcy/1681260090.html

:eek:

I would love to have a smaller/lighter dual sport to supplement the DR650 and this would surely fit the bill. I'd probably kill myself on a bike like that! Under 250 lbs and 53 horsepower, holy shit! Compared to around 400 lbs and 36 horsepower with the DR650 and I have enough fun with that bike. :rofl:

Might have to email the guy... wonder if he'd trade for a El Combino. :greg:

Caleb

:cool: That would be a fun bike. It's already setup too, desert tank and street legal...what more do you need :D

Greg

Admin
:cool: That would be a fun bike. It's already setup too, desert tank and street legal...what more do you need :D

Well, I'd swap out the desert tank for a 6 gallon Safari tank... :rofl: I love having a big tank, less time looking for gas. 6 gallons should net 250-300 miles range, which is perfect IMO.

I'm honestly very tempted to sell my DR650 and pick this up. With an oil cooler, the 520/525/530 is highway friendly with the 6 speed transmission. Recover the seat and it would be good to go.

Anyone want a killer adventure touring DR650? :eek:

Caleb

Well, I'd swap out the desert tank for a 6 gallon Safari tank... :rofl: I love having a big tank, less time looking for gas. 6 gallons should net 250-300 miles range, which is perfect IMO.

I'm honestly very tempted to sell my DR650 and pick this up. With an oil cooler, the 520/525/530 is highway friendly with the 6 speed transmission. Recover the seat and it would be good to go.

Anyone want a killer adventure touring DR650? :eek:
ah, I was thinking the desert tank was larger. I'd do the same then :D I think 5-6 gallons is the sweet spot.

Greg

Admin
Nah, someone should buy it. After 7 years, I'm going back to get my Bachelors, or I seriously would be on the phone right now. I have been looking for something like this for a while.

Good call on furthering your education... :cool: Cheap bikes are out there, just spend a little time looking and I wouldn't doubt that you could find something that fits your college budget, if it's still an option.

ah, I was thinking the desert tank was larger. I'd do the same then :D I think 5-6 gallons is the sweet spot.

I'm not exactly sure how big the desert tank is, but I don't think it's much more than 2.5 gallons or so. 5-6 gallons would provide plenty of riding between fuel.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I rode a polaris quad with that motor on it...man that sucker hauled me around like a dream. KTM builds some great motors. Ditch the DR and pick that sucker up. Being able to throw the bike around offroad is a huge benefit! I don't see any downside there!!

Greg

Admin
I rode a polaris quad with that motor on it...man that sucker hauled me around like a dream. KTM builds some great motors. Ditch the DR and pick that sucker up. Being able to throw the bike around offroad is a huge benefit! I don't see any downside there!!

I can throw around the DR!! :bow: But dropping 150 #'s and gaining almost 15 HP sounds intriguing. I just posted a for sale ad for my DR on the local Craigslist. :eek: I've emailed the guy with the KTM, we'll see what happens.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Greg on a KTM :D

My BIL has a similar vintage 520 EXC, while it does alright for short jaunts on the highway... I think it is far from what you are used to? Mike be able to work for your needs but might leave you wanting?

I'm on the opposite side of things, I have the 450 XCW (6spd wide ratio) and absolutely love it in the dirt but on the road its just too revved and kills the fuel.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The 520 and 525 are one of the best engines KTM put out (thanks to Husaberg) imo. The power is incredible and they deliver the old school grunt unlike some of the modern 450's. They are very predictable on the trail. The only gripe I have with them is they do get some headshake at higher speeds, but a damper almost eliminates it.

Greg

Admin
Greg on a KTM :D

My BIL has a similar vintage 520 EXC, while it does alright for short jaunts on the highway... I think it is far from what you are used to? Mike be able to work for your needs but might leave you wanting?

I'm on the opposite side of things, I have the 450 XCW (6spd wide ratio) and absolutely love it in the dirt but on the road its just too revved and kills the fuel.

I know, right!? I'd be willing to give KTM's a try again, those 520/525 EXC's are badass, but high maintenance and are known to have troublesome valves. It would be hard to go from a bike that requires little to no maintenance to one that requires a lot of time wrenching on after each ride.
I know it's a far cry from my DR650 and ideally I'd like a 520/525 as a backup bike, but it's hard for me to justify a 2nd bike currently.

Not to worry, it seems to have sold this afternoon. I pulled my DR650 off the market... it's a great bike, I'm pleased with it and I'm looking forward to more trips with the big piggy.

The 520 and 525 are one of the best engines KTM put out (thanks to Husaberg) imo. The power is incredible and they deliver the old school grunt unlike some of the modern 450's. They are very predictable on the trail. The only gripe I have with them is they do get some headshake at higher speeds, but a damper almost eliminates it.

Yep... I rode one back in 2001 and it was crazy-impressive. 250cc 2-stroke size and weight with tons of power. It was a wheelie monster, would loft the front wheel in most of the gears.