The Thawing of Pritchett! Feb. 27th, 2010

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
As many of you know, Moab has been in the evil clutches of winter for several weeks now. In fact, the snowfall has been the worst in 40-50 years. This has been really bad news for the hard core group that loves and requires Jeep trails regularly. The snow has shut down many…..including one of the most favorite trails…..Pritchett canyon.

Moab has been slowly thawing and a group of 4 rigs decided to investigate Pritchett to see how far we could get. There was some snow initally but it was dry when we got to the first optional wash obstacle.

Snow is still on the trail. This is between the wash obstacle and the Brickyard…..before Chewy.

We made it to the Brickyard. No snow, just a little mud.

We made it to Chewy as well. We were disappointed to find our fence destroyed so spent some time trying to at least reattach the cable. (This is the fence at the bottom of the obstacle preventing rigs from exploring the dead end wash.) I am hoping Pritchett will not see additional damage during Easter Safari. Those of you reading this, please help us keep it clean and stay on the trail.

Anyway, Chewy was fun.

Here’s Jim coming up without a front locker…..(he forgot to turn it on)

Then over to the optional area to the right just before Rocker Knocker.

After we negotiated the muddy waterfall, we got to Rocker Knocker. Ever seen it look like this? We wondered at this point what to do but decided to at least knock the snow off and who knows, we might be able to drive it.

Only one of us made it. Jim in the Bad Cat had just the right wheelbase today.

The rest of us were too long and just slid around too much. We had to use the bypass which was also snow covered but was negotiable.

The second part of Rocker Knocker was also challenging. The ledgy portion getting up to the shelf road was super slippery. After finally finding the right amount of skinny pedal, we were all to the top just in time for lunch. Next the last difficult .5 mile of trail.

The Broken Step obstacle was clean and easily driveable.
Axle Hill was interesting……a small amount of snow and wet tires goes a long way here.

But, we all made it.

Jim was last and got the polished rock. It took a couple of tries but he made it.

The rock pile was clean but wet muddy tires made this one impossible for us…..today.

Bad Cat managed the Son of Rockpile which looked much worse to me with all the snow. After a scary wheel lift and a bit of rock stacking, he was up.

And he helped all of us who hesitate to try Son of Rockpile. After a quick tug, we were all up Rock Pile.

The right side of Yellow Hill was not an option today. Imagine sliding down this one? We took the easier (and cleaner) left line up.

Finally the photo at the top of Pritchett. We made it and I’m guessing that with all the virgin snow I drove through, we might be the first through in 2010. At least for a while as the snow only had a couple sets of footprints, no tracks.

Now for the county road. Just as we unlocked the hubs, we hit deep, unmarked snow. We had to get out and switch back into 4 high, even a couple of times into 4 low.

We finally made it back to 191 and well…….look here.

What could Jim possibly be thinking? Possible answers include…..

a. Why did the groundhog see his shadow? 6 more weeks of winter is for the birds.

b. Why am I building a new rig when the Bad Cat did so well today? Maybe I should keep both of them!

c. Looks like I might be early for church!

d. How in the world did I get SO much mud on my Samurai?

Another great trail day! Get out there and start running, the thaw has begun!
Melissa

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I need to move down already. Thanks for the report! I've never seen Pritchett with snow on it, that's is really cool.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Great report! Good to see you guys made it all the way thru Pritchett, looks like Moab is finally thawing out of the Deep Freeze we've had for the last few months!

Damn global warming anyways.... :ugh:

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
Yeah, with EJS right around the corner, we're trying to investigate and pre-run several of the trails (especially the ones we're leading or gunning on). Metal Masher is this weekend with Steel Bender and Hey Joe (perhaps BTRs) next weekend. The following is Cliffhanger. It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

Global warming.....WHATEVER! Must be all that dust that the off-roaders kick up into the air.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
jealousy!!!
Awesome report, thanks! It looks like you guys did really well!
Ive been in pritchet twice with snow in there & it can get pretty interesting, well done!

pELYgroso

'Merica
I went down to Moab dirtbiking this last weekend. hells revenge was doable on a dirtbike but I'd imagine pretty sketchy in a rig due to some snowy hills like the one right after the hot tub (that we easily went around), steel bender was HORRIBLE on bikes with the snow, and we almost ended up having to camp out on the snowy trail. Luckily, somehow, we made back right as it got dark. (pretty much all of the obstacles that we passed were dry, it was the snow covered dirt roads between the obstacles that killed us!) The next day we rode poison spider which was a blast. It was mostly clear besides some blotchy snow in places that made us lose the trail a few times, but for the most part really nice. sorry, no pics.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
I hope it gets lots warmer since our group runs Prittchet during Easter Safari. Though I will say it looks even more intresting with the snow. I'd like a little challenge :p

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
I hope it gets lots warmer since our group runs Prittchet during Easter Safari. Though I will say it looks even more intresting with the snow. I'd like a little challenge :p

Hey SmokinCamel and anyone else reading this, help us during EJS if you will in keeping folks on the trail, watching out for our fences, trash patrol, etc. Last year, we spent 100's of man hours getting her back in shape including closing off an illegal route that was created when SOMEONE got antsy waiting for axle hill. We need all the eyes and allies we can get so we can continue to run Pritchett for years to come! Use your blinky, you have the Authoriti!
THANKS! (MFFW) Moab Friends for Wheelin'

rondo

rondo
don't take this wrong, as i mean it in a nice way honestly...but damn you local sami guys irritate the living hell out of me! i've been coming to moab for quite a few years now about 2x a year and my rockcrawling skills get better (but the mods i've done to my crawler far outweigh my ability).

point i'm getting at is you guys make it look so dang easy! i've seen some of you in action last year and you make every single freaking obstacle look like childs play. i've done pritchett many times over the years and it makes me nervous as hell. i can't even imagine doing it in snow and mud. i know you locals get more seat time on pritchett than i get with my ol' lady,,, well bad analogy anyway you guys have incredible finess and driving skills.
:)

SmokinCamel

Surly we will. Non of us want to lose Pritchett or any other trail. I keep my camera with me at all times to take pics of anyone off trails or doin wrongs. Is there a way to report issues? If my memory is correct there was something where you sent in a report with a pic of a rig off the trail there was a reward. True or false?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Still thinking of a way to convince my supervisor that I can successfully work remotely from Moab. :D

We should put together a group & forum of trail patrol people here on RME anyways. It's something that's been in my mind for a while. If we can provide an outlet to somehow promote and educate people and get people to become proactive and trail patrol, that would be pretty cool. Could double as a patrol, education & rescue resource of sorts...? Let's get some gears turning. :)

SmokinCamel

Also, is it just me or is Pritchett not being run as much since BFE has opened up? I know it was/or is a popular trail. Could the Noon start time for non RR4W groups be something too? Though it probbly just me lol.

Goose

aToYoTa-fREak
Still thinking of a way to convince my supervisor that I can successfully work remotely from Moab. :D

We should put together a group & forum of trail patrol people here on RME anyways. It's something that's been in my mind for a while. If we can provide an outlet to somehow promote and educate people and get people to become proactive and trail patrol, that would be pretty cool. Could double as a patrol, education & rescue resource of sorts...? Let's get some gears turning. :)

thats a great idea!

I will also add, that I have learned a great deal about OHV rules & reg. because of RME. (just over the last couple of years)

GOOD JOB!!! & THANKS!!!

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
don't take this wrong, as i mean it in a nice way honestly...but damn you local sami guys irritate the living hell out of me! i've been coming to moab for quite a few years now about 2x a year and my rockcrawling skills get better (but the mods i've done to my crawler far outweigh my ability).

point i'm getting at is you guys make it look so dang easy! i've seen some of you in action last year and you make every single freaking obstacle look like childs play. i've done pritchett many times over the years and it makes me nervous as hell. i can't even imagine doing it in snow and mud. i know you locals get more seat time on pritchett than i get with my ol' lady,,, well bad analogy anyway you guys have incredible finess and driving skills.
:)

Ha! You scared me for a second. I thought you were mad about me asking folks to trail patrol. As for sami's, tell me about it. I try like heck to keep up in my lil ol jeep. I had to get 40's! The good news is, if you hang with them long enough, you eventually get to tow em or sometimes you even beat them!
As for Pritchett, we've only had one go in 2010. Last year at this time, we'd been out at least 5-6 times.

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx

Great idea Herzog! Working remotely I mean. Hey, the forum would be great too!