The "trophy husband" pro mod buggy build

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
As promised. Ryan skillfully chose a place to drill on the top of the trans aka just said that looks good. Then he tapped it 1/8” pipe thread.
31489AFC-F57D-4DE9-ADE7-2E8AB0D1FC2D.jpeg
ACB120AB-9ADB-44CA-BEFD-3E3F031C19ED.jpeg
Service with a smile is the Agility Customs way.

Then the vent in the bellhousing which is just an open hole got tapped the same. He had a plug laying around so he went ahead and got ‘er done.
D81849E4-11D1-4440-8C69-40C859645C53.jpeg
000531FC-D756-4072-B766-8FE2B67C037C.jpeg

Now I’m ready to take the trans to the shop to get built. Yay!

N-Smooth

Dang, no updated for 2 months? Yikes…

So let’s act like this was a lot of work or something. I got the trans back and it’s been chilling, awaiting insertion. Super hot sounding.

Last weekend I spent a few solid hours finish welding a ton of tubes, mainly in the belly. Because I finally found a reasonable-ish deal on AR plate for the skids and boat-sides: $600 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/16” AR400 from Intsel so I picked that up on Monday and dropped it off to Ryan. He plasma’d out the main skid because getting that on before putting the trans back in makes sense. Tonight I mustered up the energy to work on this thing so I cleaned up the edges and glue-gunned it on. Yay for me!
IMG_0538.jpeg
IMG_0540.jpeg
Obviously I’m not measuring anything in the second pic but I was at Ryan’s shop when the Snap-on guy rolled up so I was pressured into buying stuff. Ryan said he won’t be my friend if I don’t have portals unless I buy nice tools. He also said something about 14 bolt peasants as usual. So I got a killer tape measure that I named Excalibur and some of those pliers that can pick up a nickel by the edge. I definitely didn’t need those but here we are 🤣

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I was eagerly awaiting my snap on guy this week and he no showed. I went down the street to talk to another shop owner. He told me he Tim died. 😕

Sure wish I had purchased a ton of tools on truck credit.

N-Smooth

I was eagerly awaiting my snap on guy this week and he no showed. I went down the street to talk to another shop owner. He told me he Tim died. 😕

Sure wish I had purchased a ton of tools on truck credit.
It’s hard to respond to this with just one emoji haha yikes

It was my first time on a tool truck so it was a weird experience. I feel like I did a good job getting out of there with only a $100 charge. Now I need to figure out what other stuff they have that I “need”

N-Smooth

Got the transmission in a while back with the help of my life partner, Ryan. Then on Saturday I got the right studs for the dusty, old turd of a t-case and stabbed it in place. Tonight I finished all the mounting bolts and nuts. The nut under the t-case took longer than the rest of them combined… by a lot. But hey, it’s in.
IMG_1673.jpeg

IMG_1672.jpeg

Now I need to figure out what size the torque converter bolts are. I ordered some ARP ones for a 904 and they’re 5/16” and wayyyy too small. So I grabbed some 3/8-16 and it threads. I searched online and chatted with a few people that said they think theirs was metric. Turns out a m10-1.5 threads fine too and that’s what Chevy uses. I have to guess on the length though and that seems risky…

N-Smooth

Those were the ticket. Went and picked them up from OReilly’s and got them in on my lunch hour. Of course not until after I called my guy and bounced my stupid questions off him. I feel like he deserves a medal for dealing with me sometimes 🤣

The clearance between torque converter and flex plate was like exactly 3/16” so no need to add a washer. The converter slid forward nicely and I got all 4 bolts all tightened a little bit at a time. They came with blue thread locker on them so she done!