The "trophy husband" pro mod buggy build

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Today I finished up the vise pedestal mount, ran errands and moved stuff around/stared at it. Also, the motor and trans worked it out and are back together. It must be true love.
Something like this but finished. I guess it’s a good time to say I’m going to move the drivetrain to the passenger side about 6”. It makes for really nice leg room for the driver
46FFA598-4FE6-4CB2-B6DC-5109BA1E3BBD.jpeg
Messing with the angle of the drivetrain and the placement front-to-back. It’s amazing how long I spent doing this. I’m still not sure
E1F029B6-5B3B-47BA-A4B5-B1D7C8CBD789.jpeg
BBBBB2FA-0847-41C9-B72A-5266B6D0AFCE.jpeg
I’ve had a couple of comments elsewhere about the overall size of the buggy. The next two pics maybe add some perspective? It’s not a big buggy.
03F91207-B81C-4D4B-9740-C6537F41F0F1.jpeg
DA73D5EB-09B0-4A06-A658-2E818F78F4C9.jpeg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You really need a transfer case before you can set your angle/placement of the drivetrain accurately.

N-Smooth

Does Jesse (or anyone else) still make a mockup Atlas?

I don’t know of anybody that does anymore but I also haven’t asked around. I have axles to build and stuff so I can certainly find stuff to do in the meantime.

N-Smooth

I think stinky racing fab does.

I don't see that they have them anymore and even then the "reviews" I've read on them are that the person wishes they would've just saved their money and been patient. I have to build axles, rebuild the trans and a bunch of other stuff so it is what it is. I'm shopping Atlas prices right now through some friends and hoping to order one tomorrow. I confirmed today on the phone that they are 6-8 weeks out...

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I don't see that they have them anymore and even then the "reviews" I've read on them are that the person wishes they would've just saved their money and been patient. I have to build axles, rebuild the trans and a bunch of other stuff so it is what it is. I'm shopping Atlas prices right now through some friends and hoping to order one tomorrow. I confirmed today on the phone that they are 6-8 weeks out...
So does that mean that the 6-8 weeks started today for you? Or, are you going to wait 6-8 weeks to start your 6-8 weeks?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I love how that chassis is coming together, it looks very well done and clean.

Makes me want to build a buggy, but the reality is that I'd start it, get bored and let it sit for a year and then sell it for a loss. :grimacing:

N-Smooth

I love how that chassis is coming together, it looks very well done and clean.

Makes me want to build a buggy, but the reality is that I'd start it, get bored and let it sit for a year and then sell it for a loss. :grimacing:

Thanks!
I'm really hoping my passion for competition will keep me motivated but only time will tell :p

N-Smooth

So I am in line for an Atlas, as of yesterday morning. So that's exciting. They said they expect the build date will be June/July so that's DEPRESSING...

Other than that I've been tinkering with little stuff on the motor like how to move my accessories around and I changed the oil filter adapter to not use an oil cooler. Oh and I'm figuring out how much bellhousing I need to cut out- I may cut the whole bottom half off.

EDIT: I called a guy in Cali about building me a stand alone engine harness and I am sold. I'll be sending him my harness, computer and pedal so he can get it done. I debated slimming the factory harness down myself but I really just want the car to start when I push the button so paying somebody to do it seems like the smart play lol

Last edited: