The U4WDA 2009 winter convention in St. George, UT

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
So my son and I have registered and are planning on running the Sliplock trail Friday and Fault Line / West Rim on Saturday. I picked these on the basis of the Trail Ratings on the U4WDA website. I have basically a stock TJ 2" springs 1" body lift with 33's and open diffs. Do these trails sound okay for me. Are there bypasses for harder obstacles encountered on these trails. Just looking for some info in case I need to switch to a different trail.

I have a open yj on 33's and have done both of them. Hopefully faultline is not wet or there is no way to go up it. There is a super steep hillclimb at the start. If it is muddy at all they will go up another way and skip faultline. West rim is really fun and has lots of different things to try. You will have no problem with it. Slip lock has some tough waterfalls that I couldn't make. The bypasses are easy to get to on most of it, except one spot where it is a little tricky. You will have to take perfect lines but you should be fine. It is a fun one.

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
I live here and we usually do just one trail a day but in a small group with out any breakage you could hit several of these trails in one day. The convention is fun but with any large group on any trail it always takes longer. If it was now or later and not both I would come down in the spring when it is not as cold and run more of the trails. That is just my opinion.

I would wait for a little while too. You can do some fun night runs too.

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
West Rim:
canyonjeep2.jpg

untitled.jpg

P1010344.jpg

P1010135.jpg

I have some more of Faultline if anybody wants more. It is a short trail on the way to West Rim.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hey local-St. George folk, my wife got us reservations at the Coral Hills Best Western. (she liked the pool?)

dive or decent?

Last edited:

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
You can still register and you can also register the day of the event. Some times you cant get the trail you want with day of registration.

Hey Kevin, What trails are you running, and what trail did we run in the past? I think I can handle something like we did last time (hopefully without a broken drive shaft)

For you guys that have ran these trails, is this the best time of year to run these. or is it better to take a long weekend off work in the spring and try and run
them all and make it worth the drive?:D

It depends on what time in the spring...If it is late spring it will get pretty hot...i definatly wouldn't wait tell summer unless you plan on an early morning or night run.

If the weather stays normal without any storms the highs should be around the mid 50s and the lows ranging from mid 20s to mid 30s. It might be a little cooler at the lake by the water.

I think the temp would be a little warmer then that....but i have only lived here a few months. It was 50ish today...but who knows, weather can change in a heartbeat.

Hey local-St. George folk, my wife got us reservations at the Coral Hills Best Western. (she liked the pool?)

dive or decent?

Is that in bloomington?? Or are you sure it is in St. George?

Well I am planning on making one of the trails (will register later), but only saturday because I have school friday. Kevin, let me know what trails you think i could run, you know the area better. Thanks.

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
Its an old hotel, I havent seen the inside forever but the pool is pretty cool. Who cares though right, you'll be so tired after wheeling it won't matter if it has dirt floors.

Exalted 4x4

So. U Crew
Fault line pics:
The first little cliff can be tricky to start the trail, if its muddy, its a nightmare.
P1010292-1.jpg

P1010294.jpg

The next steps can be tricky for the open guys, it always takes me two tries to get the line right. Always strap your cooler :)
P1010302.jpg

And then its a v notch and a couple little rock climbs and then its done. Pretty short but fun.
P1010311.jpg

Bart

Anybody up for golf Thursday afternoon? I just hate to take a trip to St George in the winter and not golf.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!

dive or decent?

Marc,
make sure you reserve your room in the "new" section. It has been a little while since I have stayed there but the new section was nice...

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
If we're able to make it this year, it's going to be a last minute thing. We have a few minor scheduling conflicts, and are really tight on $$$ for the next few months.. So we'll see.. We even have two houses we can stay at for free, so it's really just gas to get there and back.. plus the $100 on raffle tickets.. :)

-Jason

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Fault line pics:
The first little cliff can be tricky to start the trail, if its muddy, its a nightmare.
P1010292-1.jpg

P1010294.jpg

The first little step/cliff thing that you are talking about isn't all that bad, might take ya once or twice, but you can get up. And I could't agree more on the "its a nightmare if its muddy" ha ha went up it when it was muddy and thought I was gonna break something due to excessive will spin haha. And there is no chance at all getting up fault line if its muddy! (ask me how I know) There are bypasses to each of those though, and it is a fun trail. I think I am signing up today!