The Yamaha WR250R

rholbrook

I agree, better gearing would have helped with yesterdays ride. I already dropped the front sprocket down 1 tooth and that made a huge difference, but really limited the top end. I'm not sure if I'd like dropping it any further, considering this bikes purpose.

The bike would probably have performed much better in the hands of someone more skilled and in better shape than myself... :guilty:
Caleb and I have one part name for you....REVLOK.

Don't gear down, automate is what I say.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not to add insult to injury, but the DR-Z400E (e-start) weighs in at only 262 pounds, a whopping 36 pounds lighter than your 250. My kick start DR-Z400 weighs in at only 249 pounds dry in stock form. The street-legal-out-of-the-box 400S, the heaviest version, weighs in at 291 pounds dry. All share basically the same motor and have relaxed service requirements.

The WR has other advantages, such as better fuel economy and fuel injection... and I can't imagine it doesn't have a better gear spread in the transmission than the DR-Z. But, I just don't know where that little bike tucks all those extra pounds!

I think you hit it on the head when you said the WR250R is not a dirt bike, but is a true dual-sport. As long as somebody knows that when they are buying the bike I'm sure they would be happy with one, as they seem to be a very well engineered machine.

Jared

Below is what I was getting at, comparing the 2 factory street legal bikes and their curb (ready to ride) weight. I didn't say it right, but that's what I meant.

The WRR has a 6 speed transmission, and it's geared quite well after dropping a tooth on the counter sprocket. It will still cruise down the highway without feeling like you're spinning it to death, yet it can tackle technical riding and be in control well enough for low speed work. But like I hinted at, the WRR could use more torque down low.

I'm not sure where the WRR hides the weight either, but I'm hoping that it's weight is tied into build quality. I will tell you, the suspension on the WRR is pretty damn decent. I'm not skilled enough to tell what needs to be tweaked for better performance, but the bike handles big jumps at speed very well. It surprised me how sure-footed it was.... then again, I'm used to my DR650. :p

FWIW, you're comparing claimed "dry weight" and "curb weight". Looking at the same class-of-bike as the WR250R (dualsport) and curb weight, the DR-Z400S dualsport version is 317lb.

Exactly! Thanks!

Caleb and I have one part name for you....REVLOK.

Don't gear down, automate is what I say.

Yeah, but I'm honestly not sure how often I'll be riding terrain like the Sovereign Trail on the WRR. The Revloc is $500 and I can deal with a clutch since it's a 2nd bike and isn't trail-only. I'm interested in the Revloc and it would make it easier for my wife to ride, so like I said, maybe down the road.