Theft deterent

sticks

2012 JKU
I am loking for ideas for my YJ. I am thinking of a removable steering wheel? comments and other ideas needed.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I can think of a lot of things that will make a vehichle not run. If you get creative and think about it a hidden switch can keep your rig undriveable(don't just think ignition circut it's computer controlled right?). I think a removable radio faceplate is a pain in the a** to have to carry around I would hate to lug a wheel around. It will not keep someone from towing away your jeep either.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
If it has a coil you can interrupt the power wire to the coil with a hidden switch to keep it from being started. This could also work almost as well by interrupting the power to the fuel pump if it has an electric pump. Bu as already stated that does nothing to keep it from being towed away.

chans

I've seen a lock that attaches by the master cylinder and when you lock it with a key and press the brake pedal down it keeps it on the floor. I think Summit Racing sells it. There is also a version of the club that locks the brake pedal down with the stering wheel.

Last edited:

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Just get a battery kill switch hidden inside. Flick the switch and battery is turned off. Basically pulls the connection off of one of the terminals.

My buddy bought his Jeep in California, it came with a Chip that installs into the dash. Pull the chip out and put in the key and it won't start. It will only start if the chip is in. No way to hot wire around it...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The battery kill switch will also kill your preset radio stations and clock. They are also easy to see/find. I like the idea of the removable steering wheel when used with an under seat lock box. A theif will see the steering wheel is gone, and pass it by for easier pickens. With a hidden switch, the theif won't know it has a theft deterent until he is already inside, tearing up your dash and column. Not much will keep a theif from towing it. Brake lines are easy enough to cut.

Caleb

Spork said:
There's always the so ugly no wants it route... ;)

even that doesn;t work, my BIL had an 85 Toy pickup, the thing was so damn ugly...the bed was rusted out had about 6 different colors of paint and bondo and it got stolen...they did end up finding it but the point is they will take what ever they can get to...

I think the steering wheel removal is teh best deterent but thats about all it is is a deterent...if they want it they will get it...another thing is if you have the stock steering column then once you add the removable hub to it it makes it so the steering wheel is right in your lap...

sticks

2012 JKU
My buddy bought his Jeep in California, it came with a Chip that installs into the dash. Pull the chip out and put in the key and it won't start. It will only start if the chip is in. No way to hot wire around it...[/QUOTE]

Do you know who manufactured the chip?

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
won't shutting of the battery mess up the computer of a car?.... i thought something like, once the battery is on again, the computer needs time to think about whats going on... sorta...

one of our past Suburbans had the chip deal in it... pretty cool. definately no way around it...

electrified anything is grounds for the thief to sue you.... happend to a guy i knew...

the wheel idea is cool....

i have the brake/petal lock in my garage..... not in my zuk.... it's cool, but i have no carpet for the little spikey dealies to grip and stand up right, thus locking the petal.. or not, in my case.... so pointless for me.... i'll sell you mine with two keys (4 sided, un-pickable keys).... on the infomercial(sp?), a guy blasted it with a 44 mag, and 12 guage... did nothing to it....

right now i am going for the ugly tecnique.... plenty of break-ins... but hasn't been stolen yet.... in the cold weather, they'd have to let it warm up anyways... or it'll bog down and die unless warm. that would sure be funny to see....

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Elder SAMI said:
i have the brake/petal lock in my garage..... not in my zuk.... it's cool, but i have no carpet for the little spikey dealies to grip and stand up right, thus locking the petal.. or not, in my case.... so pointless for me.... i'll sell you mine with two keys (4 sided, un-pickable keys).... on the infomercial(sp?), a guy blasted it with a 44 mag, and 12 guage... did nothing to it....

yes, i just quoted myself.... $20 and it's yours....

PS it came with three keys... the third key will cost you! ;) i kid, i kid..... :p