they don't mess around!!!!

Bart

I'm waiting to see what the fallout will be on this. I hope they send a message that this lifestyle won't be tolerated, but you never know what will happen in court.

KWight

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2008/apr/07/fort-hosts-sect-members/
Texas didn't mess around. sure there are alot of differences between calorado city and this compound, but dang! one call and they clean them out!
why didn't this ever happen in Utah? discuss!

I have been watching to discussions about this and am somewhat amused that many have asked this question or even speculated about it. What they do not seem to realize is:

Because Colorado City is in ARIZONA, not UTAH.

Also, if you have ever been to Fredonia, AZ, you are well aware that they must not have a big Child Protective Services or an abundance of foster homes (not that this should be an excuse).

Kevin

Don B

formerly rebarguy
They did a big raid on Colorado City in 1953 (Short Creek at that time) Taking the women and kids away and braking up families turned public opinion against the government and it turned into a public relations nightmare.

No government agencies have dared to try it since, they figure it's easier to just leave them alone

cannoncrawler

TWERNT THE MORMONS!!!!!!
yeah, I know that the majority of the town is in Az, but St George is where they all came to shop.

Evan, I remember reading alot about those raids.

again just interesting the difference between what the authorities did there compared to here (az-ut)

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I'm waiting to see. It looks to me like Texas is making the same mistakes that AZ/UT did in the 53 raid. Then they arrested the men on some legitimate complaints, but forcibly taking the women away when they were not accused of any crime was the downfall.

Public opinion went against taking away the rights of people who were not guilty of any crime by removing them from their homes and relocating them. In the political fallout, the crimes commited by some of the men were all but forgotten. This destroyed the career of the Governor of AZ at the time. No politicions since then have wanted to have the same thing happen to them.

ID Bronco

From what I have heard and read, they are looking for abuse. If they don't find any, they will go back home. I think this is far from over and if they are happy there, whether right to us or not, they should have the right to choose where they live. I am somewhere in the middle on this. I don't want any children abused, but if they aren't and their moms are taking good care of them, why mess with them. I wouldn't want cps coming into my house, taking my wife and kids to check for abuse. I know there was a tip, but this is going pretty far. Again, I hope all the kids are allright, but just because it's not how I want to live doesn't make it wrong.

Bart

If they're making 14 year olds get married, that's abuse. I don't care what you believe or who you are. That's abuse! Those poor children (especially the girls) don't stand a chance of any choice in life, except to stay in the same controlled environment they were born into.

There was a segment on the Today show where a former FLDS member described a process called "Breaking the baby". The dad spanks the baby until it cries uncontrollably, then pours water on its face and it can't breath. The baby eventually can't cry, can't breath and succumbs, thus breaking the baby. Sounds like a form of waterboarding. That is not religion, that is abuse.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
There was a segment on the Today show where a former FLDS member described a process called "Breaking the baby". The dad spanks the baby until it cries uncontrollably, then pours water on its face and it can't breath. The baby eventually can't cry, can't breath and succumbs, thus breaking the baby. Sounds like a form of waterboarding. That is not religion, that is abuse.

:mad: :mad:

Whoever would do that to a baby needs to be shot in both knees. :mad:

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Yeah, they need to go after the specific crimes like they did with Jeffs and some of the others. The blanket approach of taking everyone and relocating them is what has caused the raids in the past to fail and I'm hoping the same thing doesn't happen in Texas.

ID Bronco

If they're making 14 year olds get married, that's abuse. I don't care what you believe or who you are. That's abuse! Those poor children (especially the girls) don't stand a chance of any choice in life, except to stay in the same controlled environment they were born into.

I agree if any of that crap is going on then they should be hung by the short hairs. Abuse is just that, and if it is going on, they should be punished!

That description makes me feel like barfing! I have a real problem with my anger when it comes to child abuse.