Thinking about a motorcycle

CJJ92yj

With the current gas prices starting to spiral completely beyond what any man would think is somewhat reasonable, I've been thinking about buying a motorcycle to help offset some of the burden. Now, price is of a huge concern, as is reliability. Looks are pretty important too. I've narrowed it down to a few bikes, and would like to know if anyone has heard anything, good or bad, about them. Both bikes are 250cc V-Twin Monsters!! Extremely light on power, but enough to get me around town and to work and back

First we have the Vento V-Thunder. $3500, 250cc V-Twin Cruiser.
http://www.vento.com/pub/usa/moto_infotec.asp?zone=EUA&Id=103&moto=V-THUNDER

Second we have a QJ Defiant. $2000, 250cc V-Twin Street Bike.
http://www.qujos.com/250h.htm

Finally we have the Alphasport GV250. $3900, 250cc V-twin Cruiser.
http://www.alpha-sports.com/GV250S.htm

The Defiant is almost a direct copy of the Yamaha Virago 250, which as some of you may know, has been around a long time. It is touted as possibly the best "starter" bike out there.

The V-Thunder on the other hand must be new as I've never heard anything about it, and research on the 'net brings up only a few sites in spanish, and the official Vento website.

The Alpha seems to have the most power for these little bikes. Being that I've never ridden a bike with such a small mill, that might be the deciding factor. These bikes have been around since about 2002, and can be had in used condition for a little cheaper than the advertised price.

So, lets hear your comments. I know these bikes are on the low end of the scale, and I might opt to get a used bike of a reputable company, but we'll leave that out for now. Anyone know anything about either of these tiny bikes?

Last edited:

Johnny4X4

shadow

i have a 600 shadow vlx, it is not as small, but it sits low to the ground as to be very a very comfortable cruiser.

a used shadow will be in about that price range, and a little more power might be a big consideration if you plan on some freeway cruising.

i have an uncle who has a 250 honda rebel, and it is just about underpowered on the freeway carrying a 196lb guy.

just a thought-- hope that helps.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have a Honda Nighthawk 650 and its just perfect for me... it has enough power to get on the freeway and carry me around... I know a few people that have the honda rebel and other small bikes and everyone of them say they wish they wouldn't have bought them... just too small and underpowered...

As for the bikes you mentioned.... I have never heard of any of them....

jamesgeologist

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
You aught to be looking at something in the 650/750 range. A Honda Shadow ACE is a real comfortable bike and good looking too. You could look into the V star 650 as a viable option. They are plentiful in the for sale sections and because they are 650's they don't quite have the selling power of an 1100. They also get better mileage than some of the bigger v-twins. Spencurai and BBowski82 can give you some better details about their ACEs like practical mileage and power. I can talk to you about v stars in the 1100 flavor. Good luck on whatever you choose. Just remember to take your time, do some research and weigh all of your options.

Hardley Metrics

MattL

Motorcycles are awesome machines.
I built mine from the ground up. I was a Honda cbr f4i from parts from ebay. It was my first bike. Man it was fun. SOOOOOOOO Fast!!..

I am pretty sure I will not get on another one. The society that we live in (Utah based) is so caught up in what they are doing while driving, what they are driving and how fast the can go with no regards to anybody else, that the people driving the economy vehicles end up paying. In the year that I had it, I had many close calls with collisions with other vehicles where people didn’t pay attention to what was going on around them or was being a fawker and had to try and race me. STUPID ASSHATS! When they say you have to watch out for your self and for everything around you while riding a motor bike ... that is total fact.

Now on the contrary, and this is my opinion, if society was to start using MORE mopeds and motorcycles, reducing the amount of large single person occupied vehicles, similar to what they do in Europe, getting a motorcycle might be more welcomed by me.

I’m just rambling....

None the less that was the most exhilarating machine i have ever owned. It was fun, hella fun.

Sorry not to hijack. and yes.. if you can get something with a little more horespower. 600 did me just right. I rode a 250 and well i like the 600 lots more. If you go with a bike in my opinion go with a name brand. You mentioned the virago. I seen posts for under 3000. Parts will be more avaliable same with mechanical help.

Last edited:

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
hmmm.......I personally prefer Dirt Bikes....like a 04' KX125 that I am going to buy this summer!!! OHHHH SO EXCITED!!! :D :D :D :D :cool: :redneck: :redneck: :redneck:

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
its all about my 1980 yamaha virago 750 vtwin! my grandpa gave it to me, and i put a new clutch in her and she runs like a champ! it takes about 5 bucks a week to drive that thing :cool:

if you're getting a 250, get a honda rebel, they are sooooo cool in mini-cruiser way.

i would get a last year but new shadow, they are badass bikes and they are really affordable. they have a few different sizes too. i want a shadow sabre 1100, last years model is like 7000 new. liquid cooled, vtwin with a super comfy seat and some cool stock pipes :D

Do it! I rode my bike today, I love this weather. Gas prices aren't as bad when you get 60 miles to the gallon.
I've got a VT750, that's the Sadow A.C.E. that jamesgeologist sujested. You should be able to find an older one for 3500-4000 and you won't regret it. The power isn't that of an 1100 but it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Plus, it's an awesome looking bike!
fbabf477.jpg

Mr.Chevy

RamToy said:
Others have suggested going something of a larger bore, and I agree. But if 250cc is your cup of tea then i would stay away from something air/oil cooled and look for something thats liquid cooled. The Kymco 250 Venox is quite the unit for a 250cc

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/2003/61/review61.htm
I own this bike and i have to say it is a damn good bike for only a 250cc. I am around 280lb and it holds and carrys my fat a$$ around town and even on the freeway :D it looks good also and they even come with a 2 year warranty. I havent had a problem with mine at all. It takes about 5 bucks to fill it up and last me 2 weeks of going back and forth from north orem to south provo. you can read about them here also http://www.kymco.co.uk/welcome.html

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Get a 750, I have a Honda Shadow 750, you still get good mileage because it isn't huge, but you have enough power on the freeway. I can easily cruise 80+ with 2 people on. I wish it had a little more power but I can't afford insurance on the bigger bikes. Also 750's will feel to have about the same power as an 1100, 1100's are on 1300 platforms which are much heavier. Also, if styling is at all important, most bikes start getting the cool fenders and nice lines at the 750 mark, when I bought mine I was having a hard time deciding between a 650 and a 750, not that much difference in price and the 750's look much better, the 650's just look stripped down. Wouldn't go for the 250 if you are planning on going on the freeway. I get tossed around from the wind of crazy utah drivers enough as it is, on top of that a 250 being way lighter and not having the power to hurry up and pass if need be.

Just my .02

CJJ92yj

Sounds like most of you are against a 250, which is fine. I still think I will stick with one. I really like a smaller bike to tool around town on. It won't be seeing any freeway driving, so that's not going to be a prolbem. I'd be surprised if it ever gets over 60MPH to be quite honest.

I've about narrowed it down to a Yamaha Virago 250, or the Honda Rebel 250. As far as power goes, they both seem to have the same seat-of-the-pants feel. Although the numbers are slightly different. I have to go with the Rebel for the looks. But when I sat on each of them, I had a bit more room on the Virago, even more if I were to change out those stupid looking handlebars they have. On the Rebel, by knees were way too close to my hands. The Virago has the pegs slightly lower, and forward a little, along with the seat being a slight bit farther back. This all makes a difference when you are 6'-1" tall.

The QJ Defiant 250 is almost a direct replacement to the tee for the Virago. There are a few places locally that carry them, and although they are relatively new bikes here, parts are becoming more readily available. Although from what I've read, they seem to be rather reliable. Keep in mind that it is a Virago with a different name on it. Plus with a new bike price of between $2000 and $2300 (depending where I get it), it is a lot more appealing than the MSRP of $3500 for the Virago. We'll see what happens after I go to Lehi to do a test ride on one.

Thanks for everyone's input. You've been most helpful.