Thinking about a pop-up truck camper...

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone have experience with truck bed pop-up camper ownership? They've been on my mind for quite awhile. I realize they aren't going to be as insulated as a hard-sided camper and won't be as good in hot and cold temps, but I'd rather have less insulation than more drag on the road and a higher COG. While I would LOVE a new Four Wheel Camper Flatbed model, I can't justify near $30k at the moment. And oh yeah... I'll need a truck too. :eek:

My planned use is mostly for weekend trips into the outdoors.... preferably dirt roads to remote places, but nothing crazy... probably not much more challenging than a 2 track dirt road. I'm looking at a 2010 Bronco Palamino 1200... it's a longbed model, with A/C and a furnace.

I've never owned a camper before, so this would a new adventure for me! Any thoughts on the in's & outs of camper-ownership?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
My distaste for this idea comes from my distaste my tent trailer left me with. However, we did get a LOT of use out of the tent trailer before it pissed me off. The pop-up camper seems like it would be kind of a hybrid between tent trailer and roof top tent? Might check all the right boxes?

Things I love about the idea of a popup camper:

1) light
2) low profile
3) sometimes cost

Drawbacks: canvas and three leg jack design

Things I'd rather have a full size camper for:

1) hard sides
2) never having to dry it out after a rainy trip
3) setup latrine, stove, fridge, etc

Drawbacks: HEAVY and high profile

Tonkaman

Do you already have a truck in the works? A pop up style opens up more truck options than a hard side one due to weight. Just think of the places you could take an older Tundra with a pop up

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I agree with Marc.

I say build your teardrop trailer, without the wheels. Then winch that sucker up on your flatbed truck and secure it. I have no doubt you would end up with a better product, and save a ton of coin. RV's are built like crap.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Build your own ;)

Custom-camper.jpg

I have never done the pop up camper, but have had many hard sides. many pro's and con's. The worst thing that can happen is that you don't like it.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I loved my old FWC even though it was a well worn 80's model. Aluminum frame was super light and strong and there was no wind noise from the fabric sides. The furnace rocked for winter camping. Several nights below zero in that thing.

Biggest complaint was the floor plan (I prefer the dinettes/booth) and the upper bunk was pretty small. I'm sure the newer ones are better in that regard.

I think the majority of pop-ups are built cheap and not well constructed.. probably fine for the average camper but not really designed for off road/dirt road use the way the FWC (along with a handful of others) is.

Bart

My dad has one and I've used it a number of times. It's not bad at all. It has the 4 season option so more insulated than most. It also has a head and electric jacks on all 4 corners. Can't remember the brand now, but it's a good one. Not bad in the wind either.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
My dad has one and I've used it a number of times. It's not bad at all. It has the 4 season option so more insulated than most. It also has a head and electric jacks on all 4 corners. Can't remember the brand now, but it's a good one. Not bad in the wind either.

Yeah, that one you had at King of the Hammers, worked great!

I walked away really impressed, lots of room and no big deal on the freeway...

Greg

Admin
My distaste for this idea comes from my distaste my tent trailer left me with. However, we did get a LOT of use out of the tent trailer before it pissed me off. The pop-up camper seems like it would be kind of a hybrid between tent trailer and roof top tent? Might check all the right boxes?

Things I love about the idea of a popup camper:

1) light
2) low profile
3) sometimes cost

Drawbacks: canvas and three leg jack design

Things I'd rather have a full size camper for:

1) hard sides
2) never having to dry it out after a rainy trip
3) setup latrine, stove, fridge, etc

Drawbacks: HEAVY and high profile

I would hope that a pop up truck camper would be much better then a tent trailer. I would think that the minimal amount of fabric in a truck bed popup camper would help retain some heat and cold air has needed, and not be nearly as noisy in the wind or leak in the rain. I also think it would be much better than a rooftop tent, there would be much more space inside. The one I'm looking at is 7' tall inside, so I could stand up with LOTS of room to spare.

Do you already have a truck in the works? A pop up style opens up more truck options than a hard side one due to weight. Just think of the places you could take an older Tundra with a pop up

I have been looking at a couple early 2000's Chevy 1/2 ton trucks. I think I would be fine with a 1/2 ton truck, I do want to be able to tow my Willy's to Moab every now and again and these truck popup campers that I am looking at way around 2500 pounds wet and loaded. I think a 1/2 ton Chevy with 5.3l V8 and 4L60E would fit my needs well enough.

I would probably set the truck up with improved suspension and upgraded shocks and a set of BFG all terrains that were perhaps one size larger than stock for more capable dirt road adventures.

I agree with Marc.

I say build your teardrop trailer, without the wheels. Then winch that sucker up on your flatbed truck and secure it. I have no doubt you would end up with a better product, and save a ton of coin. RV's are built like crap.

I know what you're saying, but my biggest issue is that I am not much of a builder. I don't like working with wood and I am not sure I would ever have the time to build something that could be anywhere near as good as a camper that I could buy. Even the idea of building a teardrop trailer would have been a huge project for me to tackle, building a camper that was big enough for me to stand up in is out of my capability.

Build your own ;)

View attachment 110006

I have never done the pop up camper, but have had many hard sides. many pro's and con's. The worst thing that can happen is that you don't like it.

I have seen far too many home built campers that look like ass, much like the one pictured! I know what I'm good at and building something like a truck camper is not it. I would rather just buy one.

I loved my old FWC even though it was a well worn 80's model. Aluminum frame was super light and strong and there was no wind noise from the fabric sides. The furnace rocked for winter camping. Several nights below zero in that thing.

Biggest complaint was the floor plan (I prefer the dinettes/booth) and the upper bunk was pretty small. I'm sure the newer ones are better in that regard.

I think the majority of pop-ups are built cheap and not well constructed.. probably fine for the average camper but not really designed for off road/dirt road use the way the FWC (along with a handful of others) is.

I wish I could find a Four Wheel Camper flat bad Hawk model that's a few years old and in good condition. I would love to own something like that! I understand that a lot of the other camper brands are cheaply built, but finding a Four Wheel Camper has been difficult. And believe me, I am looking often.

Would love to find a pop up camper with a Winter package, that would be the best over all option! Good to hear that it does pretty well in the wind to, that is my biggest concern. I don't want to feel like I'm in a tent when the wind picks up.

find a Flippac or a Wildernest

I really don't like those, to be honest with you. They are much more like a tent then I want.

Do you have a secret longbed pickup we don't know about?

Not yet.... I have been looking for a while and I'm waiting for the right deal to come a long.

Greg

Admin
Here's one that is similar to what I'm considering... It's in great shape, is a 2010 model and like I said earlier it does come with air conditioning and a furnace. The current owner is also 6' 4" tall and he said that he fits in the bed with room to spare.

Palomino-SS-1500-exterior.jpg

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I can see a day where I might spring for something like this. Like was said, maybe put it on a 1st gen tundra or an F150. But for now, it's not in the budget.

Greg

Admin
That's not at all what I was imagining. That's like a truck camper that gets a little shorter if you want.
How tall is that door?

I could tell there was some confusion as to what I'm talking about, figured a photo would probably help.

I'm not sure on the door height, but it's 7' tall inside. I don't mind ducking to get in and out, long as I don't have to duck once inside!

I can see a day where I might spring for something like this. Like was said, maybe put it on a 1st gen tundra or an F150. But for now, it's not in the budget.

I think we're getting closer to that day... :( I will still do plenty of tent camping, but this sure seems appealing.

The camper I'm looking at is $6500.... I think if I buy an older Chevy 1/2 ton I could have both for around $10k, which isn't bad at all.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd wait until the Jeep Wrangler truck (JT) was out, get one with 4 doors and the Ecodiesel, put an aluminum flat bed on and add a new Four Wheel Camper Hawk Flatbed model! But that combo would probably be close to $80k.... :eek:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
At $6500, I agree with your buying versus building point.

It seems that as we get older, the lack of comfort while camping seems to become a bigger annoyance. Tent camping on the Rubicon is one thing, since you have no choice. After hitting 40, it just seems easier to get out more often if we take some comforts with us.

Hardcastle

I’ve been using a Four Wheel Camper for several years now and love it. For how and where we travel its been perfect. It has all the creature comforts that we want and none of the extra junk we don’t care for. As far as your insulation concern goes it hasn’t been a big issue for us. We don’t do much snow camping but desert trips in the winter happen often. I usually set the furnace at 50* at night, use a sleeping bag, and never drain my tank even with using it for cooking. In the heat the white top and a roof fan seem to keep it cool enough but we don’t really spend time in it unless we’re sleeping. The canvas is pulled really tight when popped up and it’s like a rubberized canvas. We’ve had zero leaking issues and I’ve never felt like I was in a tent in heavy winds. The sidewalls have almost no movement.

I’ve never owned a Palomino but having been in your situation trying to justify the cost of a FWC I walked through both models and it made my decision easy to hold out for the FWC. I bought a used FWC Hawk for the same price as a new Palomino and I don’t regret that decision at all.