Thinking about getting a dirt bike... need advice

sixstringsteve

yeah, it's got a headlight and a tail light. I'm toying with the idea of getting a Tusk kit from Caleb ($170-ish) and registering it for the road. But then I have to pay to register the bike again, and I'm not sure I want to do that, when I'll be on the CR125 frame pretty soon.

Decisions, decisions...

but I do love the option of riding to the trail and not having to load and unload everything.

sixstringsteve

Speaking of hybrids, I just picked up a 2002 CR125 in great shape! It's hardly been ridden, and even though the motor isn't anything to write home about, the rest of the bike is great. I'll get pics up later tonight. It's going to be tough resisting the urge to tear it apart before winter. But I'd rather ride than wrench, so I just have to keep that in mind whenever I feel the urge to build.

Last edited:

rholbrook

It's hardly been ridden, and even though the motor isn't anything to write home about, the rest of the bike is great.
CR125s are fast, the power is different and it has more HP then your XT. They are just pipier when it comes to power meaning you have to really get it in the higher RPMs. Bottom end is what you will miss the most.

sixstringsteve

yeah, zero bottom end. My kdx is a lot quicker and has more power, even on the top end. It looks like this cr will be a fun bike though. I love how light it feels and how the suspension is set up.

Last edited:

Corban_White

Really, I'd rather see it ridden than sit. This is the third summer since I got it and the second summer that my wife can't ride it. It has probably only had 2 tanks of gas through it in the last 2 years. :eek: Come over after work and take it for a spin. I have a little dirt track just up the street.

sixstringsteve

let's do it! I really like that idea, cuz I don't want to register my KDX for the road for 3 months, then register the CR125 for the road later on. It'd really help me out, assuming you don't mind.

In fact, I may start tearing into my bikes on Thursday in that case...

sixstringsteve

CR125s are fast, the power is different and it has more HP then your XT. They are just pipier when it comes to power meaning you have to really get it in the higher RPMs. Bottom end is what you will miss the most.

I take it back. This cr125 is WAY faster than my KDX. Holy crap, this thing flies. I can't believe how quick it is. I knew 125s were fast, but dang.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Really, I'd rather see it ridden than sit. This is the third summer since I got it and the second summer that my wife can't ride it. It has probably only had 2 tanks of gas through it in the last 2 years. :eek: Come over after work and take it for a spin. I have a little dirt track just up the street.

where might this dirt track be?? :eek:)