Thinking about getting a dirt bike... need advice

sixstringsteve

Cool, thanks Tyler. I'm planning on getting those wearable pads that greg and caleb wear. I'm super stoked to start riding. I love this bike. I'm going to try and pass the written test for my temp moto license tonight.

sixstringsteve

I'll be taking it out on Thursday evening (6:00 ish) to get a feel for it on the dirt and start learning how to ride it better. Any locals who want to join are welcome to. I'll probably just be going to lambert park in Alpine. Nothing very exciting for experienced riders, but plenty for me to get a feel for the bike on.

sixstringsteve

Now that I have a bike, my brother wants one. He's taller than me (5'10"), much more aggressive in his riding, and a much better rider than me. He cut his teeth on the same ttr-125L that I did, but he could also ride my dad's xr400 even though he was on his toes.

He's not going to race, but he enjoys jumping around, whipping around corners, etc. He's pretty much your typical dirt bike rider. He'd like something with a headlight and tail light, and something he could make street legal if needed.

I'm thinking a wr450f or maybe a wr250f. Anyone out there have any of these we could test-ride to see which he likes?

Caleb

Russ has a wr450f. Don't want to speak for Russ, but knowing him, I'd bet if you could get out with him, he'd let him take it for a spin. I have the Honda equivalent to the wr450f (crf450x) and I'd be happy to let him take it for a spin. Depending on his comfort level, he may be more comfortable on a 250. They both sit about the same height, but the 450s can be a lot of machine to handle.

rholbrook

Russ has a wr450f. Don't want to speak for Russ, but knowing him, I'd bet if you could get out with him, he'd let him take it for a spin. I have the Honda equivalent to the wr450f (crf450x) and I'd be happy to let him take it for a spin. Depending on his comfort level, he may be more comfortable on a 250. They both sit about the same height, but the 450s can be a lot of machine to handle.

Consider me chiming in now. You and your brother are more than welcome to test out my WR. You'll love it, it runs better than most and is dialed in. It has the RevLok Auto Clutch, all the smog stuff off of it, rev limiter disconnected, YZF throttle stop, YZ exhaust cam, air box opened up and jetted dead on. I have kept the stock exhaust because I like to keep it quiet. I bought a full Titanium FMF pipe for it but hated the noise so I sold it.

Caleb has ridden it but never really rode it if you know what I mean. Tyler "pELYgroso" has ridden it, and Jesse "Jessor" has ridden it. I would love to meet up with you all and go for a ride.

Has anyone ridden Mueller Park Trail above Bountiful? I think I may go see how far up I can go either tonight or Friday night.

sixstringsteve

Here are a few pics of my bike:

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

And my thread dedicated to my bike as I refresh it is here:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?p=770960#post770960

sixstringsteve

Almost. Apparently you need your social security card AND your birth certificate to get a temp moto permit (but you can be president of the USA without presenting a birth certificate). I couldn't find my birth certificate, and my passport had just expired, so I had to send away for an authorized copy of my birth certificate. Hopefully I get my permit sometime next week. I'm itching to ride this thin, and since my truck isn't done yet, I can't get it to the trails to ride. I guess that's just more motivation to get my truck done.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

update: I LOVE my serrow xt225. it's a great little bike, and it gets 80-90 mpg. I've had it up to 60 MPH and it drives great with no issues. It's a fun little bike on and off road.

After riding with Tyler (Pelygroso) and seeing his WR250 (2t), I fell in love with a trail-built two-stroke. So I've been doing some research, and I've learned a lot about the KDX200. I've been thinking it'd be a great bike for me, so I was on the lookout. I found a good one on KSL yesterday, and I snagged it up for a fair price. So now I own both. I'm excited to take the KDX out tonight.

I think my dream bike is a KTM EXC200, but I'm not a good enough rider yet to warrant that bike, or to ride it decently. Thanks again for everyone's input. Now hit me up if you want to go riding.

rholbrook

Height and weight wise, you are working yourself right on up the ladder to a bigger bore bike, you know that right? Pretty soon we will see you with a WR/CRFx 250 and then a 450.

sixstringsteve

haha, probably true. My kdx is lowered with a kouba link, so it's only slightly taller than my xt225. Being able to touch the ground is still important to me. I saw some dudes riding poison spider mesa last week, and I couldn't imagine doing that trail without being able to touch the ground.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Oh dang! Where's the pics?! What year is the KDX? :chris:

It won't take you long to fall in love with it. I grew up riding a 97 200 and you really couldn't ask for a better bike right now.

Search around this site for some useful tips and upgrades. http://www.frpoffroad.com/aboutus.htm The best thing I did to mine was a stiffer .44 spring for the forks (stock was way too soft even for single track imo), an aftermarket exhaust helps save a lot of weight along with better power and some quality Cycra or other full wrap hand guards (protects your hands and saves your levers when you fall)--that about it :D

I've probably mentioned it before, but it is absolutely paramount that you use a high quality two stroke oil and mix your fuel properly with 91 or higher octane. I prefer Klotz personally but AMSoil and a few others are good too. Kawasaki's have one of the more complex powervalve systems and a good oil-along with keeping your piston/rings happy-also helps keep the pv working properly. Also carry a spare spark plug or two in your pack along with a wrench to change it. A good running 2T will rarely if ever foul a plug with proper jetting, but you never know with a used bike so don't take any chances.

sixstringsteve

Sorry, I still haven't unpacked the camera from the Moab trip, so no pics yet. It's a 2002 KDX, and you're right, I've already fallen in love with it.

The ride went really well today. I had a blast. This is a great bike for me. I still love my xt225, but I just couldn't wipe the grin off my face when I was getting used to the kdx. What a great little bike. I really like the feel of the 2t, which is weird because I thought I was sold on 4t bikes. I had a yz80 when I was a kid, and it wasn't bad, but I definitely preferred the 4 stroke feel as a kid. These little 2t's with the wide ration trannies and the heavier flywheels are awesome. I really enjoy it.

Thanks for the suggestions rot box. It's currently got an FMF Gnarly pipe with a turbine core 2 spark arrestor. It has a weisco piston sticker on it, but the bike seems too new to need a new piston.

THe previous owner has been running yamalube in it, so that's what I plan on running. I heard it's bad to change your two stroke oil brands too much, and I know the previous 2 owners have been using yamalube. If there's something better, I'm ok with switching, but it seems to run really well right now.

Thanks to the link to ferdette racing. I've been reading his stuff for the past few weeks, and that site just makes me want to build a cr125 with a kdx200 motor in it.

I'm really pleased with the bike, and I can't wait to take it up AF canyon or somewhere else on Thursday.