thinking about getting a ham radio...

DevinB

I like traffic lights
So after reading about the jeeper that died in St. George, and how his buddy might coulda saved him if he woulda had a ham radio instead of running to get cell service, has made me think about getting into ham radios. Where would I start going about learning about ham radios? Any good websites for newbs? A good starting ham radio? Any help would be good. Thanks.
Devin

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I am very interested in getting licensed and equipped too...

A couple questions...

Handhelds - What kind of distances are they capable of?
Are there any easily removable vehicle units, sp that I can swap it in and out of my Cruiser and Tacoma? I can set both up with a antenna system and power supply plug easily...

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
The licencse it not hard to get. You have to pass the FCC's test that is about 30 multiple choice questions. If you study for just a little bit you will catch on enough to pass the first test. Look for a book called "Who's talking" or something similar to that. I believe that Radio Shack still sells it, and if not let me know and I will get more info for you.

There is a local "Ham Store" on state and approximatly 7900 South, on the west side. The owner is Bob and his store number is 801-567-9944 he can help you better with radio questions.

I own a hand held radio, mine ( and most of them) work off 5 watts, that is enough to talk anywhere in the valley through simplex ( radio to radio). If you can get to a repeater ( radio to repeater to radio ) you can get much further, they even link repeters together so you can go long distances. I have been able to speak from SLC to Moab for example.

I also have a "mobile" radio or car mounted radio. This works off 50 watts, so it has potential of going much further. For example I can talk simples (radio to radio ) from the moutains just west of Vernal to Scott's peak ( top of Big cotton wood canyon) without much effort.

I think I may of gave too much info, if you have questions post them up or PM me I can maybe answer them in person.

There are several local ham clubs but I would first point you to this one http://www.xmission.com/~uarc/ there is info there about testing, and meetings, and other info.

FYI - there are several repeaters in the Moab area that are fairly active, it is not often that I will make a call to one of them and not get a response.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
How much for a decent vehicle mounted system? How much for a decent hand-held?How hard are they to set up? Do many people have them? What's up with people having their call number on their license plates, is that mandatory?
Devin

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Like anything you get what you pay for. But you can get a good radio for around $100. Here are samples of a good mobile radio and a good handheld to give you an idea.
They are as easy to set up as a CB would be. Mount the radio, run a power lead to the battery, run some coax to an external anteanna on the car and you are done. I also have a mag mounted antenna I use on a car so I have the option of having a better antenna when using the handheld in a car. FYI a good antenna on a handheld makes a world of difference over the little whip antenna they come with.
When you pass the ham radio test the FCC will assign you your own call sign. It is manditory to have a call sign, but optional if you want to put it on your licence plate.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
Can you use the same antanna as a CB or is it different? Do you need to SWR your antanna for a ham? Thanks for th info.
Devin

kirk86CJ

I wanted to give an update. I took and passed the technician test. I was given the following link, which is a very efficient way to study/pass the exam. Its a 12 page study guide. (downloadable) They guy starts out by saying 6 year olds have passed the test.

Anyway - Here is the study info.
Study material

Here is a good place to get practice tests.
Practice tests

shrubeck

Mmm Commulicious
The book is "Now You're Talking". The radio you guys would want to use is a much higher frequency than CB so the antennas are not compatible. The test is not tough. It's some electronics theory and some FCC laws and regulations. You don't need to know morse code to get a basic liscense. You guys should all be able to do fine. I got my liscense when I was 13. Though I haven't had a radio in years.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
DevinB said:
How much for a decent vehicle mounted system? How much for a decent hand-held?How hard are they to set up? Do many people have them? What's up with people having their call number on their license plates, is that mandatory?
Devin

Putting your call letters on your license plate is a optional thing but just to warn you... I have been a ham for going on 14 yrs now and down in salt lake if you put your call letters on your plates its kind of an advertisment for thiefs... they see them and then they smash your windows and get your radio...

I live in wyoming where this is a rarity so I do have my call letters on my plates... you have to show your license from the FCC to get the plates and they are the same price as vanity plates...

another website is WWW.ARRL.ORG its like the center of the ham world... they have all the books and club listings and even where you can go to test... if your going for your morse code they also send it out over a frequency that hits all the US and you can listen and learn...

A good 2 meter radio for your car runs from $200 up... I have one that is an older one that I bought for $325.

Any Questions you can also PM me and I can lead you in the right direction.

TigerStripe40

Arrogant Bastard
I just got my license on thursday.
KE7DMU is my call
I didn't buy a study guide and I Didn't read the online study guide.

I just took the tests at http://www.QRZ.com/testing.pl and then when I was consistantly getting 80% or better I went and took the test. It's not hard at all.

I am still waiting to get a radio.

I am looking at the Kenwood TH-F6A handheld radio. 5 Watts good battery runtime. It's a little spendy at $315. But it's 3 bands (2m/440mhz/220mhz) and all of them are pretty wiedle yused. The 6M/2M/440hz aren't worth buying as not that many people use 6M, and you have to have a General class license to use 6M anyhow.

Pretty much anything Yaesu or Kenwood is a good radio from what I have seen.

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
Good job tiger, now comes the part where you get to spend some money :D . Don't worry though, after the inital investment you don't have to spend anything.

I've had my licence for a few years now, my call is KD7OYL. I use a yaseu VX-1R. It only pushed 0.5 watts from the battery, but with a good antena it hold's it own. For the poor guy on a strict budget I suggest the VX-2R, it is a little more powerfull and has a few more features.

Rule #1 in Ameture radio: Its all about the antena. A great antena on a crap radio is better than a crap antena on a great radio.

DevinB:
You do have to use an antena specificly for the band or bands your radio uses. You can use an SWR meeter, but its not a big deal if its in the correct band.

also, to anyone in the Ogden area, the weber state ameture radio club has been reorgnized. Our website is at http://arc.weber.edu .

the stud boy

http://utahclassicbroncos
i have some videos if any one want to buy some copys
it is for the ARRL technicain calss this cost me 149.00
but i wil make copys if any body want's to get there license
"plus there is a big ham convetion in soouth ogden on april 23rd
browing armory next to the DMV"
for the vid's just pm me and i can make some copy's just pay for the
tapes blank's
www.ARRL.org

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Bringing this thread back from Davy Jones' Locker......

Ted and I were talking last night and we want to look into holding a 2m "four wheelers' net" maybe once a week. We can talk radios and four wheeling like the nerds that we are. Anyone interested?

EZ (Now KE7FYP)