thinking of a used 450. Which one?

Kirk

I'm on my second '84xr500. (got my first one at 16 - never had to do anything to either bike - probably 15k miles between the two) Like the bike - like the power - realize the suspension is out-dated. My 15yr old is growing out of his xr200. He is 6' tall and growing. I have to keep the 200 around for little brothers. Thinking of getting another 400/450 for me, and he and I will ride any of the 3 bikes. I'm 6'4 -260 - never been on a "track", don't really plan to. We mostly ride desert, some single track/trail riding. I've got a 9 yr old and 6 yr old I spend a lot of time following around on littler bikes. I've always assumed my next bike would be a xr650 - but I don't go that fast, that often any more, so it seems overkill......

I really don't want to lose much power - so not really interested in 250-300 cc's right now. I want something that will be as low maint. as possible. Maybe a little lighter, and better suspension. I have narrowed my thoughts down to crf450x, wr450, or xr400(should I even consider this?).

I've got some neighbors that might get me into slickrock/some technical stuff - but not sure would be that much. I think I may get an automatic clutch if I do. I think I may make it street legal too.

Seems like the crf "X" might be a little quicker/better suspension, but more maint? Is the engine is the same as the crf "R" (I hear you have to re-build the top ends often?)

WR seems to be the safer choice from what I read.

Could probably spend 2-3K

Would really like opinions on who likes what....

Thanks

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Don't even consider a XR.
wr or x are both fine for what you're explaining.
the x isn't the same as an R.
Russ and Caleb will tell you to get a WR.
Mooreskin will tell you to get a 450x
Jeeper will tell you to get an oil burner 250
Greg. Pelygroso and Anderson will tell you get a KTM300
Jared might recommend even throwing a DRZ400 into the mix. They are fun as heck as a trail bike and very reliable (albeit detuned compared to the 450 dual sports).

I'd say you won't be unhappy with the x or the wr and I used to lust after a magic button until I started riding track also... now I want to get rid of every ounce of extra weight, and be able to swap street legal stuff on for other rides.
"One Ring to rule them all!"

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
Greg. Pelygroso and Anderson will tell you get a KTM300
Wrong.......I was going to recommend a WR 450. If you can get an 07 or newer since you will have the aluminum frame and it will be a little bit lighter. I loved my '08 WR 450 for trail riding and long trips. The WR will be the lowest maintenance of the 450's since the x will need valves much sooner. However, there is no bike that is as fun and versatile as a 300.:D

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Greg Pelygroso and Anderson will tell you get a KTM300

Negative... :cody:

Wrong.......I was going to recommend a WR 450. If you can get an 07 or newer since you will have the aluminum frame and it will be a little bit lighter. I loved my '08 WR 450 for trail riding and long trips. The WR will be the lowest maintenance of the 450's since the x will need valves much sooner. However, there is no bike that is as fun and versatile as a 300.:D

x2

Even my steel framed '04 WR450 was a great bike. A little heavy, but it worked very well and I had NO reliability issues. Mine was plated and I would ride it to & from the local trails... it was a blast riding on the street with a 'dirt bike'!

Out of the 3 bikes listed, the WR450 is an easy pick, especially considering the $2-3k budget. The XR400 is decent, but it's not comparable to the modern 4 strokes IMO. I know there are a few here that ride CRF's, but they're not my thing and I think for a desert/singletrack bike that will probably see some street time, the WR leads the way.

Kirk

Thanks for all the comments - Funny thing is there is another 83 xr500 on KSL with the original rear tire for $1,200. I smiled when I saw it. It would be cool to have a matching set :)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
When you get a new bike you should give me your XR... It would look great sitting next to my 84 CR500R :D

Put me down for a WR450 vote. Outstanding bikes you would not regret that decision at all.

rholbrook

This is my BIL's 1984 XR500. It may have 500 miles tops. It was sitting for years in a shed on his property in the Uintas. I made him bring it home so I could put some fork seals in it, clean the carb, change the oil and put a new rear tire on it because the original was cracked really bad. This thing still is fast. I wanted one in the day but could not find one when they first came out. I settled for an XT500.

Attachments

• xr500-1.jpg
    xr500-1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 10