third row seat in a XJ

webyepn

gone yeepn
Has anyone out there ever put a third row seat in an XJ? I have a brady bunch of a family and need another row of seats to fit all the rugrats in. I am thinking of putting a rear facing seat in the cargo area. If anyone has some pics or ideas please chime in:rofl:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I wouldn't.

Let me rephrase: You will have less than no cargo room if you do, plus I am not keen on getting into accidents with my kids facing the rear. Can you say whiplash? Cervical dislocation? NO THANKS

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
If your seriousely thinking about doing it, i will have my rear bench of my grand up for sell in a while, unless your were planning on something different.

Dominic

infamouswbob.jpg

Buy some nice rock sliders for that Break over angle.

snccoulter

www.coulters-inc.com
as long as you can pass safety you should be fine. The traffic law states that people can ride anywhere intended for people or cargo. (Just make sure the children are in a booster seat as of today)

webyepn

gone yeepn
I am planning on putting my two daughters back there. They are 5 and 7. I have thought about saftey and i am going to do a exo cage and have it tie into the cab so i can put six point harneses on all the passangers. As far as for sell give me an offer? lol.

webyepn

gone yeepn
I wouldn't.

Let me rephrase: You will have less than no cargo room if you do, plus I am not keen on getting into accidents with my kids facing the rear. Can you say whiplash? Cervical dislocation? NO THANKS

As for cargo i am going to put a roof rack on it so i can haul things up there. I want to make it so it can be removed easily cause my kids are only with me some of the time.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
I can take measurements tomorrow, you know it is 2 pieces like the part you sit on and then the back rest, and then its kinda cut in half too.

I will just measure across, because it would be a bit weird to measure high, unless i can figure out a way to do it.

1993yj

I think for safety reasons Tacoma was referring more to on-highway accidents rather than off-road ones. If you get rear ended while facing rearward I would think you would get hurt more, but then again all the minivans are making their middle row seats face rear ward these days.

webyepn

gone yeepn
I think for safety reasons Tacoma was referring more to on-highway accidents rather than off-road ones. If you get rear ended while facing rearward I would think you would get hurt more, but then again all the minivans are making their middle row seats face rear ward these days.

Ya i see what he is saying. But i have another car that i drive around town. But it is somthing to think about.

JackKeslerCustoms

I think you should ditch the idea of putting it in the back, mount it on top, and then you don't need the roofrack. If you really are worried about safety, it's going to make the exo-cage a little interesting.