This guy should be fired!

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Because it's your right to not be treated like a criminal, especially when you are not.

Yes, I've been asked before and my answer is always no. If they had a real reason, they would do it anyways. I hate to tell you, but the authority isn't always right.

I've never been made to feel like a criminal I guess.

I understand authority isn't always right, but questioning the cops authority is just as wrong as them searching your vehicle when you aren't in the wrong.

venpick

77 fj40
He is automatically given the right when the guy was arrested. He didn't search the entire vehicle, only in arms reach of the driver - which is completely in the right.

OK so is he given the right or does the other guy loose his?
I know its a fine line between clever and stooooooooooopid.
and just scuz its right might mean it doesnt feel wrong.
and never get into a pissin match if the other guy is only packin a tazer

Obviously this driver was not smart and yes police have to deal with crazys all the time. But, come on that guy was no threat. NONE. A total ZERO threat. a NON threat. BOTH of these idiots handled it poorly.

Last edited:

projektdotnet

Cruiserhead
...come on that guy was no threat. NONE. A total ZERO threat. a NON threat. BOTH of these idiots handled it poorly.

The driver was too stupid to be a threat. I agree he should have either signed or gone away but the cop could have done a much better job. He did not properly apporach the car, did not tell the idiot driver how fast he was going, did not state it was not an admission of guilt, etc, etc. If he had started the traffic stop properly, made all those usual disclaimers and THEN the guy was still giving him problems I'd say at that point taze him and put him away for a night.

Just my opinion though.

timpanogos

Push to the Peak
Dang, don’t any of you pro cop responders ever watch court tv (cops)? That UHP trooper is obviously young and inexperienced, and would prove to be a pussy working with any of the real cops in cops episodes.

Last edited:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
OK so is he given the right or does the other guy loose his?
I know its a fine line between clever and stooooooooooopid.
and just scuz its right might mean it doesnt feel wrong.
and never get into a pissin match if the other guy is only packin a tazer

Obviously this driver was not smart and yes police have to deal with crazys all the time. But, come on that guy was no threat. NONE. A total ZERO threat. a NON threat. BOTH of these idiots handled it poorly.

The problem is the guy was non compliant from the beginning, which is typically a good indicator of being guilty about something.

The officer told him why he was being pulled over and asked to see his license and registration. Then the guy immediately started in on him arguing.

Since the guy wouldn't sign the ticket, he is now under arrest. You sign the promise to appear or are taken to jail - it's your choice. Signing the ticket is only stating that you promisse to appear, not admitting guilt. Since he is not promissing to appear, he was put under arrest.

The guy was ordered out of the car, which he did, then was asked to put his hands on the car that he was under arrest. The guy argued again resisting arrest. The officer asked repeatidly with no compliancy from the guy. Then the cop pulled his taser and the guy began to resists arrest and walk off, putting his hands in his pockets.

The officer tasered him and then the wife started coming out of the car.

The cop has every right to fight for his life. No where in that video does it show the officer NOT being in danger of his life. I just cited several reasons for him to feel that his life is in danger and take control of the situation. You have a flighty driver not following basic commands, with his hand fumbling in his pocket while he is trying to get back to his car. Then you have a hysterical wife urgently leaving the car.

The cop did nothign wrong. He took necessary precautions and because of it is home with his family. Had he not, he could have been killed. There have been instances where the wife has attacked officers. The guy could have had a gun in the car and been trying to get it. You don't know.

The cop did nothing wrong. He wasn't verbally or physically abusive. He gave clear and concise instructions and orders. He used the taser as a last resort, not first, and why he is still out on patrol.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
4th Amendment, Wayne. Why is it reasonable for cops to search your car on a traffic stop?

EDIT: I'm talking, get pulled over, you act rational, sober, etc, and they want to search. What cause do they have? I don't let people go fishing in my vehicle, that seems unreasonable to me. And I've never had anything to hide.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
The driver was too stupid to be a threat. I agree he should have either signed or gone away but the cop could have done a much better job. He did not properly apporach the car, did not tell the idiot driver how fast he was going, did not state it was not an admission of guilt, etc, etc. If he had started the traffic stop properly, made all those usual disclaimers and THEN the guy was still giving him problems I'd say at that point taze him and put him away for a night.

Just my opinion though.

I agree, he should have given the guy a number instead of saying 'you were going a little fast', which he said in the very beginning before the driver got belligerent. He shoudl have also aproached the car from the passenger side. All of this doesn't give the driver the excuse to be a dick.

BTW when the cop came back to the car and was explaining that he wrote him a speeding ticket, he did say that signing it was not admission to guilt, so the guy knew. It's hard to hear with the traffic, but it's there.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
4th Amendment, Wayne. Why is it reasonable for cops to search your car on a traffic stop?

EDIT: I'm talking, get pulled over, you act rational, sober, etc, and they want to search. What cause do they have? I don't let people go fishing in my vehicle, that seems unreasonable to me. And I've never had anything to hide.

IF you are indeed acting this way and are only being pulled over for speeding, then the cop has no reason and I challenge you to cite one instance where all of the planets were in line and you were searched. If everything was perfect and the cop still wanted to search, I would question it, too.

But if you are arrested during a traffic stop, you automatically give up your right to having your vehicle searched. Since he was allowing the wife to leave with the car, he had every right to search the drivers compartment for weapons.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I've been pulled over on the east coast for having UT plates. Not speeding, not driving erratically, nothing. Wasn't arrested, ticketed, otherwise placed in detention. So I guess the planets lined up nicely.

Again, I'm not talking about AFTER you do something like refuse to sign the ticket. I'm talking on a regular old traffic stop, and the cop says he wants to search. You'd do it? I wouldn't. Define your rationale for allowing searches.

The burden should be on them, and I'm not going to help them expand police powers.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I've been pulled over on the east coast for having UT plates. Not speeding, not driving erratically, nothing. Wasn't arrested, ticketed, otherwise placed in detention. So I guess the planets lined up nicely.

Again, I'm not talking about AFTER you do something like refuse to sign the ticket. I'm talking on a regular old traffic stop, and the cop says he wants to search. You'd do it? I wouldn't. Define your rationale for allowing searches.

The burden should be on them, and I'm not going to help them expand police powers.

Good. I have been told by friends that are cops that you never know what might turn up in a search that was not in your car. Not likely but definately possibile. Believe it or not there are crooked cops out there.

Too bad so many Americans take their rights for granted. I bet anyone who lived in cold war era East Germany would apreciate the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

utahxjer

Some cops are alive today simply because it's against the law to kill them.

FAWKIN' POS!

I know you said "some cops," but c'mon.

Isn't it nice knowing that these Officers are out there protecting your RIGHT to say those things.