This is awful...

Bart

Back in the day I think this was more the norm, and it happened in more families than you'd think. They (dads) really took that "spare the rod, spoil the child" thing to heart. I made sure my kids never experienced anything like it.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
When I was younger I had to choose between getting the belt or a branch off a tree. Needless to say it took a long time to forgive my dad but I have and we have a great relationship now. He was severely abused as a child and it was what he knew, he went to counseling and it is all behind him now and he is great with all of the grand-kids.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
I always loved my dad. He was my hero as a kid and is largely responsible for me becomming the totally awesome dude that I am. For realz.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
Back in the day I think this was more the norm, and it happened in more families than you'd think. They (dads) really took that "spare the rod, spoil the child" thing to heart. I made sure my kids never experienced anything like it.

And that's part of the problem. It all started with 'the greatest generation", they lived through the great depression and horrible war. Most of their life was miserable so when they started families they did everything they could to make sure that their kids didn't go through what they did. This loving act spawned hippies who had no sense of honoring their parents and began the decline of western civilization. Every generation since have turned out to be a little more useless than the previous... its a total bummer. Now you have millions of people in this country who have no sense of direction and look to government to take care of them. They have no sense of Hope and have no idea how to Change their own situations.
In my opinion, it's more abusive for your children to grow up to be Democrats than disciplining them. Have you looked at the occupy movement? It looks like the set of AMC's 'Walking Dead". Just sayin'