This is for the mental health of RME.

Coco

Baker, OR. Still 500 miles from home. I don’t think I’ll see 7 mpg until I unload this trailer. Really miss my Jeep Dolly. This truck will ****ing pull, though. I can’t believe how well it pulls every hill at maximum rated weight. Don’t buy a diesel. It ain’t worth it any more.
I do enjoy what these new gas vehicles are accomplishing. I was extremely impressed with my ecoboost, and would get another in a heartbeat, but I am still in the diesel for heavy pulling camp. IDK what it is, maybe the way I was raised? :rofl:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I do enjoy what these new gas vehicles are accomplishing. I was extremely impressed with my ecoboost, and would get another in a heartbeat, but I am still in the diesel for heavy pulling camp. IDK what it is, maybe the way I was raised? :rofl:
I pulled this much weight a few times with my 2017 Cummins (completely stock) and I seriously think I could keep up with it in the Godzilla. Modified is a different story, but it seriously competes.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
After this haul, is there anything you would change in how you optioned your truck?
Long bed, full crew cab, different gears?

Have you been able to maintain the speed you wanted regardless of terrain, wind, traffic, etc...
The Supercab Shortbed was a personal choice for me. I just love the way they've always looked. I find the rear doors really convenient for my uses, but they would suck for kids/people carrying.

Because of the shortbed and especially because it's also a Supercab, I get zero weight transfer from the bed. Even with this gooseneck, you can look at the weights I posted and see the front axle weight is always the same (the scales measure in 20 lb increments, and a 20 or 40 lbs difference is usually just an anomaly. I'll never be able to utilize my 4k payload because I can't get weight on that axle. This is mostly a shortbed Ford problem. Their wheel arch is forward of center on the shortbed. It's not as noticeable with a Crewcab.

I chose 3 options for the front axle that each increased the spring rate on said axle. Heavy Service Front End, Camper Package, and Snow Plow Prep. The Camper package would have given me all of the electrical bits I wanted. I have the heaviest front springs available on the lightest Super Duty body combination. But it looks like a leveled truck. I'll be changing the springs some day to something a lot lighter.

Kinda wish I woulda got Apple Carplay.

I have the 3.73 gears and the 4.30 gears have a substantially higher tow rating. It's like 4k more weight. I don't exactly regret the gear choice, because I never thought I would pull this much weight with this truck and it totally handled it.

Curves and wonky roads are what have limited my speed when I'm climbing a steep roads. I have to cancel the cruise or I'll blow through a curve and off the mountain. Baker City, OR has a really steep hill heading east on I-84. If you use the on-ramp from Baker heading east, it's even steeper because it's starts below the freeway surface. I had zero trouble hitting 65 at the merge point this morning when I got back on the highway. You just have a billion gears and it rows through them quick.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
The Supercab Shortbed was a personal choice for me. I just love the way they've always looked. I find the rear doors really convenient for my uses, but they would suck for kids/people carrying.

Because of the shortbed and especially because it's also a Supercab, I get zero weight transfer from the bed. Even with this gooseneck, you can look at the weights I posted and see the front axle weight is always the same (the scales measure in 20 lb increments, and a 20 or 40 lbs difference is usually just an anomaly. I'll never be able to utilize my 4k payload because I can't get weight on that axle. This is mostly a shortbed Ford problem. Their wheel arch is forward of center on the shortbed. It's not as noticeable with a Crewcab.

I chose 3 options for the front axle that each increased the spring rate on said axle. Heavy Service Front End, Camper Package, and Snow Plow Prep. The Camper package would have given me all of the electrical bits I wanted. I have the heaviest front springs available on the lightest Super Duty body combination. But it looks like a leveled truck. I'll be changing the springs some day to something a lot lighter.

Kinda wish I woulda got Apple Carplay.

I have the 3.73 gears and the 4.30 gears have a substantially higher tow rating. It's like 4k more weight. I don't exactly regret the gear choice, because I never thought I would pull this much weight with this truck and it totally handled it.

Curves and wonky roads are what have limited my speed when I'm climbing a steep roads. I have to cancel the cruise or I'll blow through a curve and off the mountain. Baker City, OR has a really steep hill heading east on I-84. If you use the on-ramp from Baker heading east, it's even steeper because it's starts below the freeway surface. I had zero trouble hitting 65 at the merge point this morning when I got back on the highway. You just have a billion gears and it rows through them quick.

Great now i'm going to have to go weigh mine with the camper and without just to see the front axle weight.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Should have just taken your work truck and visited a “Member” neighbor with a two year supply of toilet paper to stack at the very back of the truck so no one could see your true payload
That woulda paid better.

I did that at Frito Lay. Bought a YJ in Reno and hauled it to Delle where I utilized the dirt mounds as a ramp. They were not good ramps, so YJ got yeeted out the back of Frito trailer.

RockChucker

Did you weigh for 2 reasons?
1. So you knew if you were legal
2. To prove you were legal if the popo pulled you over and tried to stop you for weight over violations or that 2nd log book that is fudged?

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Did you weigh for 2 reasons?
1. So you knew if you were legal
2. To prove you were legal if the popo pulled you over and tried to stop you for weight over violations or that 2nd log book that is fudged?
I just wanted to know where the weights were at and make sure an axle wasn’t overloaded. I’m home now and I had zero trouble with the truck or trailer. Not even a bad tire.