This may be a dumb question

Tebbsjeep

Does it matter if I mount shocks with the body up or down? Does it differ on brand of shock? I installed some doetsch tech shocks on my jeep with the body up, and they don't really seem to be doing much.

RogueJeepr

Here!
On my old YJ the rear shocks hit the axle near the mount , so I flipped em' to get me through one trip. A year later I ended up doin an axle swap . Since things had to be cut and welded, I flipped em' back (body down) and what a difference (its like they were brand new).
Having them upside down (body-up) they acted like I had no rear shocks at all . Hope this helps.

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
Yes it does matter. Alot of shocks have stamped right on the body this way up. Only few brands offer the body flipped upside down and that's rough country and billstien to name a few. It affects the valving drastically

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
That info needs to come from your shock manufacturer. For one, if they are valved differently for compression and rebound than you need to make sure they are mounted right.

UFAB

Emulsion shocks usually have body on the bottom and remote reservoir non emulsion can go either way.