This Really Sucks!

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
A lot of you guys know my brother Scott... Well... His Jeep has been in pieces for about 6 years... These last couple of months it has been at Rocklogic getting it's final wiring done and the internal and exo cage done.

So my bro has been building the CYJ-7... I.E. CJ Drivetrain minus the engine and axles. YJ leafs, YJ Frame, YJ Tub, CJ tailgate, CJ fenders, CJ grille and hood and dashboard.

So my bro got a 401 V8, Dana 20, with AA big spline rear output kit, 1 ton driveshafts, Dana 60's, Spring Over, High custom steer (tie rod behind axle) 37's beadlocked, (KRAWLERS! haha!) 2" body lift fully caged.

So it finally came rolling out of Rocklogic 2 days go, running, and street legal... So he's headed home to Eagle Mountain.

On the freeway, he noticed that he was running at 230 degrees on the water temp in the engine...

Near 12300 South near draper he noticed it jumped to 260, so he starts to pull over (really bad traffic, hard to in that area) at right before bangereter as he's pulling off he hears a huge bang... Notices the sound as a rod knocking!!!

Looks at temp guage, pegged at 280!!!!!!

Lifts the hood, notices that the overflow bottle cap is missing, no coolant in it, the hood is covered in coolant... Then notices his oil cap had popped off as well!!!

What we came to the conclusion to is that we all know coolant expands as it gets hotter... Well the overflow bottle is very small... with all that pressure it filled up and popped the cap off... Then all the coolant decided to come out of the overlow.... so with no coolant the heat just skyrocketed!

So then I had to grab daddy's truck and tow him home.

Crazy huh? After about a 6 year buildup the day he gets it running (right before supercrawl, the day before he gets elected as a marshall) it blows up on him..;.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
That sucks, but the overflow cap had nothing to do with it. The radiator cap keeps the coolant in. The overfow just catches what the radiator cap lets out.

Brad

The artist formerly known as Redrock5.9
I passed him on the freeway Wednesday night, I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't stop to help but if I had known it was your brother I would have made time. I could have certainly taken a few minutes to tow him home. Sorry to hear about that. Funny that he chose to take the freeway getting it home, those fullwidth axles put the tires out in plain view with no mudflaps, just a ticket waiting to happen.

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
Originally posted by RedRock5.9
I passed him on the freeway Wednesday night, I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't stop to help but if I had known it was your brother I would have made time. I could have certainly taken a few minutes to tow him home. Sorry to hear about that. Funny that he chose to take the freeway getting it home, those fullwidth axles put the tires out in plain view with no mudflaps, just a ticket waiting to happen.

Yeah, since it just came out of the shop he didn't even have any of the stuff to make it (completely) legal.

bobdog - I'll ask him some more questions when he gets backfrom supercrawl.