Throttle cable blues...

MattL

Just wondering if some one can point me in the right direction.. My throttle cable blew up on me and I cant find a replacement for it. or not yet anyway.. I just found faint numbers on the cable housing which I think they say 258BN6A5

Now this is going in to a 69 jeep commando with a 350 that was already in there when i bought it... so it might bery well have a after market cable assemebly. I am also inclosing a couple of pics with this post.

The actual cable is about 21 inches it has a ball and clamp end that goes on the carb and is spring loaded. On the other end a lil round metal ball that fits on the gas pedal ( this is what broke off).

I wonder what a inline 6 258 throttle cable looks like.. any one got a picture of one?

Thanks in advance

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Get one of those fancy universal Lokar throtle cables you cut them to fit and it probably wont cost anymore than a factory replacment type.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
looks like the one that you brought into Mepco yesterday.....sorry we couldn't help ya

six states might be able to build one for you (dunno if we told you that or not)

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
Take the cable to Six States, the parts location, and have them make you a nice one. I have had two different ones made there for two jeeps. The cable they use is great, you can tie it in a knot and it won't kink at all: it makes it nice if you need flexability in routing it. They can make any type of cable assembly. It should be about $30.

MattL

Thanks for the replies... I think i might just go with a Loklar and be done with it.. Unless some one can name that piece..

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
It looks like the one I used on my 350 conversion when I had my FJ40. It was a Ford-Mercury part that I got at Autozone. Take it in and see what they have. If you can't find it, talk to DJ at DJ's Traction Systems, he does a ton of these swaps and it's the cable he recommended.

kb7sei

I'm using the Lokar on my engine swap. Easy to use, fits right up. I have to modify a few things for it, as it uses 5/16" holes for mounting at both ends, but that's easy. Better than trying to mate two stock cables or some other BS. Cost about $30, and it's more bling-bling than Six States. :D Nifty braided SS cable.

I skipped the clevis connection, there wasn't enough room in back of the pedal for it. I just used the passthrough mounting style the Toyota uses and cut the clip and spacer off the stock cable to install on the Lokar one. I kept the clevis thing on there to hold it all in place. Works perfectly.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The Lokar is just a braided stainless hose type thing but a cable slides in side of it it has fitings that look like AN hose ends on the ends that secure it to a hole in the firewall and a hole in a bracket that bolts to the carb base(Available from Lokar or easily fabricated it is just like most factory setups but has a round hole instead of the usual square hole). You cut the braided section to the length you want. And then cut the cable to lenth and then it uses a set screw to lock the peice that hooks to the throttle on the carb. You will probably need to get a retrun spring also. As far as I know the only different cable you can order is a longer one for TPI motors. If you want to see one I have one in my Garage that I have never bothered to install, you could come and look out. I live out in west Jordan.