Thspittingllama's 87 Toyota

Tyson Atkinson Taylorsville

1987 Toyota ext cap Pickup

Engine- 22RE fresh rebuild and LC Engineering Header

Transmission- W56 with Marlin Crawler HD components

T-Case- Stock with Marlin Crawler HD components

Axles-Rear; Marlin Crawler 8' V-6 third with Zip air locker and 4:88 gears Front; Marlin Crawler 7.5' Diff with Detroit true track and 4:88's.

Suspension- Stock (for now)

Wheels and Tires- 33/12.5/15 BFG Allterrains

Winch- None yet

Favorite Trails- all of them

dunes3.jpgdunes1.jpg

I Dont see a reason to start my build thread over so her is a link to my build thread on Yotatech.com.....
http://www.yotatech.com/f199/thspittingllamas-1st-gen-4runner-build-225883/

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Harder to go coilovers with Blazeland, that's for sure. Consider me subscribed for the build when you get there so I can drool on it. :)

Kevin B.

I'm not ever going to recharge the AC on my 22re, and in fact I was getting ready to strip it off completely. You're welcome to whatever might be useful to you.

thanks for the offer! it ended up being the blower motor and i fixed it with some new brushes i picked up from RaElco for a dollar.

Last edited:
here is a video of me and my cousin wheeling last weekend at little moab. its nothing insane i was open diff the whole time playin nice to keep the follow the leader game going with a stock pathfinder. and it has mostly him playing. my cousin went a little crazy on the editing of the video, but its kinda fun...... enjoy (video of me starts around 3:20)
[video=youtube;uEEx-8Hfhd4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEEx-8Hfhd4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
so i have been meaning to update this, just been short on time. i ran into some issues last weekend trying to run the snakes. My new front differential that i got from marlin crawler last month with the detroit tru trac failed!!! i got lost on the dirt roads trying to find the trail head, in hopes i would run into someone to run it with. (i was alone) when POP! CLANK CHATER CHATER DAMNIT! got out and my front driveline was lying in the dirt with the pinion flange attached to it, it was still conected at the transfer case. I was at just enuff of an up hill angle to loose almost all of my new lukus synthetic 90w. i just changed the break in fluid out 2 weeks ago. ERRR. well it seemed my day was already over, so i tyed the driveline to the frame and started to the road in 2high. just as i got to the road two toyotas came off the pavement, I asked them if they knew where the trail was and they said they were going to run it, and invited me along. so i tagged along. im broke but at least im not alone. so i followed them all the wat through rattleswmake in 2 high! got to waynes world and there was a bunch of guys trying to get through. I watched them for a while and was just about to head home when they invited me to run constictor with them. (mostley cuz i had beer left over from camping the night before) So they helped me take my drive line off so i at least had 2 low. went up the bypass of waynes world and followed them through constrictor. i made it most of the way up, but got beatten by the obsticle that goes between two trees maybe 20yrds before the big obsticle that turn you hard left, from there its a straight shot 50yds to eagles nest. bummed i couldnt get to the top due to breakage but stil surprised i got that far. had a good time though, but very frustrating being broke due to some thing i didnt do! if i broke cuz i was being stupid..... i can handle that, but this sucked! called marlin crawler and they want me to tear it out and ship it back to them. they said they will pay for the shipping fix it and send it back but i still have to do all of that work again! i just hope thay come through for me. trying to be positive but i pulled the drain plug last night and there is some pritty big chunks of metal that came out of it. the passenger side cv wont turn either. so i cant get all of the bolts off! this is going to cause serious problems getting it out! errr! i had to pull the rear back out as well when i first got it because the damn air locker was leaking. awrr sorry now im just venting. lol i really dont want rebuilt crap put back in my truck. i paid for new and perfict and thats what i want! Looks like the pinion flange nut backed off, not sure if it wasnt torqued or the crush sleve/ lock nut was right. it had probably been backing out and unballenced since i first put it on. i never noticed anything before. other than a slight whine when i was in 4wd, but i thought that was my transfercase. with the front drive line off it did get a bit quieter. idk. anyone have any ideas on what might have broke inside due to this? was this for sure they're fault? or was this somehow my fault? (i cant think of how being all i did was put it in and attach the driveline.) what should i expect from marlin crawler on this?/ what would you do?

Kevin B.

Man, that sucks. Dropping it isn't too bad, but I hate reinstalling that diff, it's a PITA. Post up when you're ready to pull it, if I'm free I'll come give a hand.

The very least Marlin can do is pay for the shipping both ways, and I'd ask them for a little store credit as well. The worst they could do is say no, right? :)

Kevin B.

Just noticed you were on 33s with no lift. I'm curious what trimming or hammering you needed to do to make those fit?

cheapest way it can be done! and body lifts arent all bad. (im going to hear for this i can feel it) With the bigger tires i get another 1.5-2" ground clearence. plus more hight with a lower center of gravity then a suspention lift of the same hight. And i hate bracket lifts and blocks, they are more expensive and prone to breaking, not to mention its still basically stock suspention. sure its not ideal, but this truck gets around! and alot of it is due to the higher ground clearence and bigger tires. now come time for me to get my total chaos kit and lift it right..... the body lift will come off. but its a great and cheap temp fix. i would do it again in the same situation.

Last edited:
copied this to page two. still need HELP GUYS!

so i have been meaning to update this, just been short on time. i ran into some issues last weekend trying to run the snakes. My new front differential that i got from marlin crawler last month with the detroit tru trac failed!!! i got lost on the dirt roads trying to find the trail head, in hopes i would run into someone to run it with. (i was alone) when POP! CLANK CHATER CHATER DAMNIT! got out and my front driveline was lying in the dirt with the pinion flange attached to it, it was still conected at the transfer case. I was at just enuff of an up hill angle to loose almost all of my new lukus synthetic 90w. i just changed the break in fluid out 2 weeks ago. ERRR. well it seemed my day was already over, so i tyed the driveline to the frame and started to the road in 2high. just as i got to the road two toyotas came off the pavement, I asked them if they knew where the trail was and they said they were going to run it, and invited me along. so i tagged along. im broke but at least im not alone. so i followed them all the wat through rattleswmake in 2 high! got to waynes world and there was a bunch of guys trying to get through. I watched them for a while and was just about to head home when they invited me to run constictor with them. (mostley cuz i had beer left over from camping the night before) So they helped me take my drive line off so i at least had 2 low. went up the bypass of waynes world and followed them through constrictor. i made it most of the way up, but got beatten by the obsticle that goes between two trees maybe 20yrds before the big obsticle that turn you hard left, from there its a straight shot 50yds to eagles nest. bummed i couldnt get to the top due to breakage but stil surprised i got that far. had a good time though, but very frustrating being broke due to some thing i didnt do! if i broke cuz i was being stupid..... i can handle that, but this sucked! called marlin crawler and they want me to tear it out and ship it back to them. they said they will pay for the shipping fix it and send it back but i still have to do all of that work again! i just hope thay come through for me. trying to be positive but i pulled the drain plug last night and there is some pritty big chunks of metal that came out of it. the passenger side cv wont turn either. so i cant get all of the bolts off! this is going to cause serious problems getting it out! errr! i had to pull the rear back out as well when i first got it because the damn air locker was leaking. awrr sorry now im just venting. lol i really dont want rebuilt crap put back in my truck. i paid for new and perfict and thats what i want! Looks like the pinion flange nut backed off, not sure if it wasnt torqued or the crush sleve/ lock nut was right. it had probably been backing out and unballenced since i first put it on. i never noticed anything before. other than a slight whine when i was in 4wd, but i thought that was my transfercase. with the front drive line off it did get a bit quieter. idk. anyone have any ideas on what might have broke inside due to this? was this for sure they're fault? or was this somehow my fault? (i cant think of how being all i did was put it in and attach the driveline.) what should i expect from marlin crawler on this?/ what would you do?